The Student Room Group

Do uni rankings matter ?

I’m unsure whether to firm the best ranked uni or the lesser ranked uni that has a better city, how much of a difference would it make if I went to Glasgow ranked (7th) or Newcastle (28th) for comp science
Original post by BigFawn
I’m unsure whether to firm the best ranked uni or the lesser ranked uni that has a better city, how much of a difference would it make if I went to Glasgow ranked (7th) or Newcastle (28th) for comp science

objectively no, howeverr, from my experience - yes.

if you look around the campus at the top 10 unis, and then do so at the unis around 11-20 and then 20-40, and then the bottom 20 unis etc. you will definitely notice something different and very significant about the atmosphere.
Reply 2
So would u advise choosing the best ranked uni possible ?
Reply 3
newcastle is a great place to be (im in durham doing compsci, so neighbouring cities) - and me personally i'd look at the course first! something you'll realise is that if you hate what they're teaching you then it doesnt matter how great the city is. compsci courses can vary so much; take a look at how much coursework you'll be getting; how much practical you'll do; and for compsci, i know for a fact that both universities have decent lecturers, so you don't need to worry as much about the teaching.
take a look at why glasgow is better ranked? if it's because they have a sh*t ton of coursework AND that's something you don't mind then go for that - if you're not up for that much coursework and would rather build your degree on exams and test then maybe go for newcastle.
and also scottish unis do things a little differently, like the major minor system in america. so if you dont end up liking one subject then you can very easily change your course whereas it would be much more difficult in an english uni. so if you're on the rocks about your future and want to expand a little then maybe glasgow. although you'll probably spend a year longer at uni if you went to scotland.

so... yeah personally top 30 unis are just fine, and it shouldn't matter too much where you go as long as you like it. if i had taken my own advice a year ago, i'd have gone someplace with little coursework, because thats the reason durham is ranked so high, but because of covid, i was so depressed that i flunked most of it :/ i hate coursework lol but i can do end of year exams pretty well.

my answer, no, it doesnt matter too much. glasgow and newcastle are great unis, but they have very different courses. take a look at them :smile:
i hope this helps, and im sorry if i made your decision harder
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by BigFawn
So would u advise choosing the best ranked uni possible ?

both unis are superb, so no i would not think any league table could differentiate meaningfully between such top unis. decide whether you want a 3 or 4 year degree
Reply 5
Original post by mxxnal
newcastle is a great place to be (im in durham doing compsci, so neighbouring cities) - and me personally i'd look at the course first! something you'll realise is that if you hate what they're teaching you then it doesnt matter how great the city is. compsci courses can vary so much; take a look at how much coursework you'll be getting; how much practical you'll do; and for compsci, i know for a fact that both universities have decent lecturers, so you don't need to worry as much about the teaching.
take a look at why glasgow is better ranked? if it's because they have a sh*t ton of coursework AND that's something you don't mind then go for that - if you're not up for that much coursework and would rather build your degree on exams and test then maybe go for newcastle.
and also scottish unis do things a little differently, like the major minor system in america. so if you dont end up liking one subject then you can very easily change your course whereas it would be much more difficult in an english uni. so if you're on the rocks about your future and want to expand a little then maybe glasgow. although you'll probably spend a year longer at uni if you went to scotland.

so... yeah personally top 30 unis are just fine, and it shouldn't matter too much where you go as long as you like it. if i had taken my own advice a year ago, i'd have gone someplace with little coursework, because thats the reason durham is ranked so high, but because of covid, i was so depressed that i flunked most of it :/ i hate coursework lol but i can do end of year exams pretty well.

my answer, no, it doesnt matter too much. glasgow and newcastle are great unis, but they have very different courses. take a look at them :smile:
i hope this helps, and im sorry if i made your decision harder

Noooo thank you so much for the response 😊. I like the sound of the Scottish system but just sounds like it would be such a large workload yno with studying multiple subjects at degree level, just sounds very scary to me

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending