The Student Room Group

What is a level criminology like?

The course that my sixth form offers for criminology is WJEC level 3 applied diploma in criminology. Like what does that actually mean?!? I know it equivalent to an alevel but what makes it different to an alevel? And what is it like? Like what do you study how much workload it is etc.
Dont take it.

Its not an A level. Its a weird Level 3 thing that the Welsh exam board invented. Its all about 'True Crime' - the type of salacious nonsense you see on the front page of the tabloids and has no real academic content. Many Universities dont like it. If you have dreams of doing Law at Uni, then def do not take it!
i was thinking of taking it in sixth form in september but not sure really ik that there will be loads of coursework thats all?
Four units over 2 years
1 Changing Awareness of Crime - Internal Assessment
2 Criminological Theories - External Assessment
3 Crime Scene to Courtroom - Internal Assessment
4 Crime and Punishment - External Assessment

Both 2 & 4 have a 90-minute exam.
Some universities may accept it, but these sorts of courses aren't themselves an A-level and some universities believe that they are insufficient (or inferior) preparation for their courses. If this is the case for the sorts of courses you'll be interesting you may be better off taking Sociology or Psychology instead.

The specification is here: https://www.wjec.co.uk/media/21xjkr24/wjec-applied-diploma-in-criminology-spec-e-03-06-2020.pdf. There is more of an emphasis on coursework and it makes up about 50% of the qualification.

Quick Reply

Latest