The Student Room Group

How do I tone my belly and loose belly fat quick

I’m really insecure so please can people tell me the quickest (but not starving myself etc as that’s dangerous) way to loose belly fat? I’m a girl I don’t know if that’s important to know

Scroll to see replies

sit ups?
Reply 2
chloe ting girl
Reply 3
Original post by Lauododns
I’m really insecure so please can people tell me the quickest (but not starving myself etc as that’s dangerous) way to loose belly fat? I’m a girl I don’t know if that’s important to know

Cardio, abs workout and eat right
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 4

You can't spot reduce fat. Everyone is different, but unfortunately my experience was that abdominal fat seems to be the last to go. Probably as that's where most of it is stored.
Eat at a calorie deficit. Not starving yourself, but maybe between 300-500 calories less than your recommended daily amount. That will do most of the work, but regular exercise will definitely help and also make you feel good.
Now I'm not sure on this last part, but I've heard in the short-term that targetting abs could actually be detrimental if you're not eating at a deficit. As essentially you're growing a muscle and making that region even larger.
Reply 5
I’m not going to reply to everyone individually but thank you all for your help especially the last person who put in loads of detail! Thanks guys
Don't do sit-ups/crunches with the intention you are going to lose weight in the abdominal area. You are instead strengthening the rectus abdominis (abdominal) muscles which could still be covered by subcutaneous fat tissue.

The biggest trick in fat reduction lies in your diet:
- Eat the required amount of carbs (don't skimp on this!) - this will fuel your workouts. Work out hard!
- Protein! Make sure if you're lifting, you are getting at least 1 gram of protein per lb of your total weight (not lean body mass).
Protein will help fill you up, it is satiating and will ensure you don't lose muscle in your fat loss journey.
- Work out properly. Do AMRAPs on the last set. Cardio! Cardio! Do things that won't affect your joints, avoid running on the treadmill and go for the stair master instead (this will also tone your legs), as well as give you better cardiovascular benefits than running on the treadmill like a hamster.
Reply 7
Well, I used to have the same problem around 3 years ago. I decided to go to the gym, which was the best decision of my life. I started with 1 hour of cardio, and 30 minutes of muscle training. When I lost a bit of weight with the cardio, I started working more on my muscles.
I mostly focused on my legs (around 45 minutes), then arms (30 minutes) and abs+back (20 minutes). After around less than two years, I was close to having a six pack (and I'm a girl! lol), could do 40 kg for my arms, and 170 kg for my legs.
And spoiler alert, I ate more than I did before!
I ate:
Morning: Sandwich + Yogurt or Eggs+Sandwich
10 am: Chocolate or fruit or biscuits
Noon: Rice or pasta with meat/salmon/shrimp. And let me tell you, it was a lot of it. Sometimes I ate sandwiches (similar to the subway ones, but self-made and healthier) + biscuits or chocolate or crackers
4 pm (before gym): (two) muffins
6 pm (after gym): dinner, which was mostly meat, fish or pasta
After 6 pm: some snacks like fruit, crackers sometimes dessert, and occasionally a sandwich when I was hungry.

So I ate around 2,5 to 3k calories on a gym day, and yet I had some nice muscles and felt better than ever. I even looked and felt better than 'friends' who were on a diet by counting their calories. They did not lose weight, because they still ate processed foods and drinks (juices, coca cola, biscuits).

The trick here is eating the right things, and making sure they are fresh + working out. Sure I ate a lot, but I ate eggs, rice, salmon, chicken, vegetables, a lot of fruit,... And sure I ate biscuits, muffins and chocolate. But the biscuits were either self-made or high quality, the chocolate was also high quality. The muffins were bought from the baker, very fresh too. And most importantly? I only drank water, tea (the warm one), and ice tea once or twice a week.
That in addition to going to the gym 3x a week (around 5-6 hours/week), and I had the body I desired.

So I would say, follow those tips, and you will feel very well. If you can't go to the gym, try swimming or any other activities.
The results are not 'quick quick', because that is just very impossible. It will take you a few weeks or months of hard work, but once yo get there, you'll be very happy.

I sadly let myself go during quarantine, but I am resuming my routine now, and can't wait to look like I did one year ago. Good luck!
Riding a bike is fine, in fact they actually recommend you warm up on leg day with riding a bike. It's good to get that stretch.

Running outside, especially on concrete pavements is a bad idea. Running on grass is somewhat fine for your joints, just make sure not to tear your ATFL due to unevenly-mown grass.

Disclaimer: not a medical professional - just going off my sister's advice (she's a physical therapist).
As far as I know, concrete is the worst surface to run on. Asphalt is probably better, though not by orders of magnitudes. Grass probably being the first, but as you said, dog 💩.

Maybe try riding a bike along a bike track? Or if there's an athletics centre, they have running tracks (a soft rubberised, artificial surface), those are pretty good too.
(edited 2 years ago)
Fat burner will help. But they do have side effects as far as i have heard.
barbell squats with perfect form. It works out your core so your mid section will look sexy af once the weight does come off.

Squats are also a whole body work out and burns more calories than most other weight training lifts.

Your diet is more important though. You need to find some healthy lower calorie foods that you enjoy eating so you can stick to it long term and replace whatever you eat at the moment that is causing you to be fat. You need to change your lifestyle and then stick with it forever.

I mainly eat brocoli, vegan nuggets and bananas to lose weight as I enjoy the taste. Don't feel the need to eat much else. Easy to keep track of the calories by eating mostly the same stuff everyday as well.
(edited 2 years ago)
Concrete is still horrible IMO, you can kiss your knees goodbye due if you do it over the long term. It's a gradual impingement, you won't notice it overnight.

Stairs are amazing, it builds your quads (biggest muscle in both males and females). I can't speak for the biomechanics of running on concrete stairs though because I'm not qualified.

What I do notice when I'm at my gym, is that it takes less effort to burn, say 100 calories on a stairmaster than on a treadmill. This is because you are using the quads. Using your biggest muscle will burn more calories, invariably so. Although, there are some edge cases like walking upwards (setting an incline level) on a treadmill (or simply walking uphill).
(edited 2 years ago)
No idea. Many supplements brands makes it. Like muscletech, Myprotein etccc

*lose
Nope. Whey protein is to make muscle and gain weight. Fat burner comes in pill afaik. Search google you will get them
Not sure. But I saw many people in my gym take them and it worked out perfect for them after a month. They also workout. I think it just speeds up the process.
Original post by JAckieee.chan
Not sure. But I saw many people in my gym take them and it worked out perfect for them after a month. They also workout. I think it just speeds up the process.

Nah they don't help burn fat, some OTC drugs can reduce appetite tho. Also just because you saw people in the gym use them and they got leaner does not mean the pills caused that.

Steroids don't burn fat.
No worries!

I don't do much cardio these days. I personally am crazy about bench pressing, leg pressing, and barbel rowing. Progressively overloading to ensure muscle hypertrophy.

I only do cardio if I'm cutting from a bulk. I highly recommend religiously avoiding fat loss supplements / fat burners. Stick to eating foods that are deemed highly satiating whilst providing the least amount of calories if you're trying to lose weight.

Eg. cooking zucchini noodles. You can eat two and a half plates of those, whereas if you were to eat white rice, you could only eat a small quantity. They both provide the same amount of calories, although you could eat more zoodles for the same amount of calories, therefore keeping your body fuller for longer (plus they're healthy).

Look at calorically dense foods, and avoid them. Obviously, there are exceptions to this rule like certain nuts (as those are very healthy, and provide healthy fats) if eaten in moderation. That doesn't mean go guzzle down an entire bucket of cashew nuts. BAD!

Why I advise people to build muscles is because it's a longer term solution. When you go into muscle-building mode, your body immediately wants to eat healthier. I find that when people do cardio, they go into justification mode "oh, I ran today so I can eat this chocolate. Should be fine". But body building? Nope. People want their pecs not to be covered in fat (man tits). They want it to show. Same story for abs tucked away by subcutaneous fat.

Back to the app question, I use an android - but for my body building, I use FitNotes... Prior to discovering this piece of technology, I used ... I'm old fashioned, but a little diary, where I jotted down my workout stats.

I don't really know how progressive overload is applied in cardio, but I would assume increasing the intensity somehow. Eg. running a bit further, increasing inclination, or turning up the speed on the stair master.

But in weights, I would do. Eg (fake numbers).

week 1:
- 70kg bench press
- 6 reps, 4 sets.
week 2:
- 70kg bench press
- 7 reps, 4 sets.

week 3:
- 70kg bench press
- 8 reps, 4 sets.

all the way until I can do 12 reps, without compromising form... Then adding 5kg to the weight (so increase volume before weight).
Agonize the androgen receptor which upregulates muscle protein synthesis.

Quick Reply

Latest