The Student Room Group

Opportunities to do L.L.M. in the UK?

Hi.
I'd like to ask for help about the opportunities in the UK in order to do an LLM (Master of Laws) there. After graduation I'd like to go to the UK but as for a foreigner (I'm from Hungary) it is a bit expensive without a bursary. Could you please tell me if it is possible to apply for one or how do these things work?
My other question would be, how time consuming are LLMs in England? Is it possible to work while I study or do I have too many courses and lessons? I would mostly look for a university in and around London.
Thank you in advance for your help.
Reply 1
what do you mean by a bursary; you mean like a scholarship? each university will have their own scholarship programmes so you're going to have to check each university's website to see what's available and how to apply.

whether you have time to work is dependent on how organised you are but generally yes, i've known masters students who have worked :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Joleee
what do you mean by a bursary; you mean like a scholarship? each university will have their own scholarship programmes so you're going to have to check each university's website to see what's available and how to apply.

whether you have time to work is dependent on how organised you are but generally yes, i've known masters students who have worked :smile:

Thank you for your reply. :smile:
Yes, I wanted to say scholarship.
I’m asking because in Hungary most lawyers do LLM and work at the same time, but I don’t know if it is possible also in other countries. Here in LLM you don’t have to attend many courses, maybe this is the main reason.
Original post by pat99rick
Hi.
I'd like to ask for help about the opportunities in the UK in order to do an LLM (Master of Laws) there. After graduation I'd like to go to the UK but as for a foreigner (I'm from Hungary) it is a bit expensive without a bursary. Could you please tell me if it is possible to apply for one or how do these things work?
My other question would be, how time consuming are LLMs in England? Is it possible to work while I study or do I have too many courses and lessons? I would mostly look for a university in and around London.
Thank you in advance for your help.

Depends. There should be opportunities to work but LLM here is like an undergraduate course and will be full on. You might be thinking more of the LPC LLM which is very different to the academic LLM, which quite a few people do part time while working at a law firm?
Reply 4
Original post by chalbliagtelle
Depends. There should be opportunities to work but LLM here is like an undergraduate course and will be full on. You might be thinking more of the LPC LLM which is very different to the academic LLM, which quite a few people do part time while working at a law firm?

I have never heard about it, there is no opportunity to do it here, but I'll check it.
Anyway, I saw there is an other option...2 years part time degree instead of 1 year full time. What do you think about it? Would it be easier in terms of livelihood for a student?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending