pat99rick
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi.
I'd like to ask for help about the opportunities in the UK in order to do an LLM (Master of Laws) there. After graduation I'd like to go to the UK but as for a foreigner (I'm from Hungary) it is a bit expensive without a bursary. Could you please tell me if it is possible to apply for one or how do these things work?
My other question would be, how time consuming are LLMs in England? Is it possible to work while I study or do I have too many courses and lessons? I would mostly look for a university in and around London.
Thank you in advance for your help.
Joleee
Badges: 19
Report 1 month ago
what do you mean by a bursary; you mean like a scholarship? each university will have their own scholarship programmes so you're going to have to check each university's website to see what's available and how to apply.

whether you have time to work is dependent on how organised you are but generally yes, i've known masters students who have worked
pat99rick
Rep:
?
(Original post by Joleee)
what do you mean by a bursary; you mean like a scholarship? each university will have their own scholarship programmes so you're going to have to check each university's website to see what's available and how to apply.

whether you have time to work is dependent on how organised you are but generally yes, i've known masters students who have worked
Thank you for your reply.
Yes, I wanted to say scholarship.
I’m asking because in Hungary most lawyers do LLM and work at the same time, but I don’t know if it is possible also in other countries. Here in LLM you don’t have to attend many courses, maybe this is the main reason.
chalbliagtelle
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by pat99rick)
Hi.
I'd like to ask for help about the opportunities in the UK in order to do an LLM (Master of Laws) there. After graduation I'd like to go to the UK but as for a foreigner (I'm from Hungary) it is a bit expensive without a bursary. Could you please tell me if it is possible to apply for one or how do these things work?
My other question would be, how time consuming are LLMs in England? Is it possible to work while I study or do I have too many courses and lessons? I would mostly look for a university in and around London.
Depends. There should be opportunities to work but LLM here is like an undergraduate course and will be full on. You might be thinking more of the LPC LLM which is very different to the academic LLM, which quite a few people do part time while working at a law firm?
pat99rick
Rep:
?
(Original post by chalbliagtelle)
Depends. There should be opportunities to work but LLM here is like an undergraduate course and will be full on. You might be thinking more of the LPC LLM which is very different to the academic LLM, which quite a few people do part time while working at a law firm?
I have never heard about it, there is no opportunity to do it here, but I'll check it.
Anyway, I saw there is an other option...2 years part time degree instead of 1 year full time. What do you think about it? Would it be easier in terms of livelihood for a student?
Johnny ~
Badges: 15
Report 1 month ago
Hi.
You may not be eligible to work over a certain number of hours a week if you are a non-UK citizen on a student visa. This is something for you to look into.

Generally speaking, there are very few funding opportunities for postgraduate students, and you often need to apply separately for those (you won't be considered automatically by virtue of having sent in an application). Many of these opportunities are merit and not needs based so you'd need a pretty strong profile and some luck. It depends on the university. When I was applying, Oxbridge had by far the most generous set of postgraduate scholarships and bursaries, followed by the London unis. Many universities, especially ones that are cheaper and less well-regarded, seem to offer no financial support of note to postgraduates.

I have never heard about it, there is no opportunity to do it here, but I'll check it.
Anyway, I saw there is an other option...2 years part time degree instead of 1 year full time. What do you think about it? Would it be easier in terms of livelihood for a student?
There aren't any LLMs at any decent institutions (perhaps with the exception of the MLF at Oxford?). It would help if you told us which universities and programmes you were considering specifically. Our answers are very vague and 'it depends'-y because we have next to no information to go on.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (33)
15.21%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (66)
30.41%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (25)
11.52%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (18)
8.29%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (12)
5.53%
I think it's an unfair expectation (60)
27.65%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
1.38%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed