The Student Room Group

Ran out of money

So basically I’m at university and this month has been a pretty expensive one, Not because I’ve been going out drinking or eating out etc. I’m quite sensible when it comes to things like that and since April I haven’t been out partying at all. So majority of my money has come out on my food shops, bills and rent. And now I only have £7 left. My issue is I don’t get any finance until September so I literally don’t know what to do. I have a job but they don’t pay furlough at all, and they now don’t open until July bc of the extended restrictions. I keep applying for jobs literally just for a month, but none of them will get back to me, and in a few days I’m literally going to be at £0. I don’t know what to do. I would of been fine if things were suppose to be opening on the 21st June but now it’s completely just screwed me over financially. I know it’s only a month, but I literally ran out of food yesterday and I only have enough to buy like 7 microwave meals if that which is a weeks worth of food. I also don’t have any friends or family that could lend me any money at all.
Reply 1
Original post by Courtneyoliviam
So basically I’m at university and this month has been a pretty expensive one, Not because I’ve been going out drinking or eating out etc. I’m quite sensible when it comes to things like that and since April I haven’t been out partying at all. So majority of my money has come out on my food shops, bills and rent. And now I only have £7 left. My issue is I don’t get any finance until September so I literally don’t know what to do. I have a job but they don’t pay furlough at all, and they now don’t open until July bc of the extended restrictions. I keep applying for jobs literally just for a month, but none of them will get back to me, and in a few days I’m literally going to be at £0. I don’t know what to do. I would of been fine if things were suppose to be opening on the 21st June but now it’s completely just screwed me over financially. I know it’s only a month, but I literally ran out of food yesterday and I only have enough to buy like 7 microwave meals if that which is a weeks worth of food. I also don’t have any friends or family that could lend me any money at all.

Hi! I'm really sorry you're going through this. :frown: Have you tried asking for more maintenance loan or talking to your university about this? They're often very good with this stuff and will help you out. I have read that in special circumstances, when you need extra money, they will loan you out more money to help you pay for whatever the situation is. (They do this if you have had a big injury and don't have the funds to pay for a surgery for example, but surely your university isn't going to allow you to starve to death.) So please talk to your university about this, don't leave them alone about it, ask for help and you will get it.
Reply 2
Also, are you sure you've no friends and family who can help you? I'd assume some of your flatmates and classmates could help you out as well, it may be embarrassing to ask for help but please don't let yourself suffer. I don't think anyone would say no to you.
Original post by Vicky55
Also, are you sure you've no friends and family who can help you? I'd assume some of your flatmates and classmates could help you out as well, it may be embarrassing to ask for help but please don't let yourself suffer. I don't think anyone would say no to you.

Hello! Thank you for youre response it’s helped a ton, I’m deffo going to speak to my uni about it. And unfortunately no. I’m not very close with my new flat mates and I did ask some of my friends before I posted, my family are very strict with their money, they never lend any out to anyone not even me or my siblings. It’s a very awkward situation I’m in haha but thank you, I’m going to speak to uni to see if they can help :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Courtneyoliviam
Hello! Thank you for youre response it’s helped a ton, I’m deffo going to speak to my uni about it. And unfortunately no. I’m not very close with my new flat mates and I did ask some of my friends before I posted, my family are very strict with their money, they never lend any out to anyone not even me or my siblings. It’s a very awkward situation I’m in haha but thank you, I’m going to speak to uni to see if they can help :smile:

Absolutely no problem, I don't know much about it but I remember reading about it on university websites. If you need any more help, or you can't get the funds you need, I'm sure people here on TSR would like to help you out, as students we don't have much but I don't want you to struggle to get food.
Reply 5
Universities normally have “hardship funds”. Contact your university’s student advice service; they should be able to point you in the right direction.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending