The Student Room Group

Studying business with 2 languages?

I am interested in studying modern languages with business in uni. I'm doing German A-Level so that would be one of my languages, and then I'm also interested to study a second MFL from beginner level (possibly Russian or Mandarin).

I'm wondering if this is a good idea? I'm worried it could be difficult to do 3 separate subjects like this. Has anyone done something like this? Is it better to just study business with German?

Also, I saw a course like this at the university of Nottingham, but other unis that I've checked seem to only offer 1 language in addition to business. Does anyone know any universities that offer 2?

I know that's loads of questions, so any replies would be greatly appreciated!
Original post by flyawayonmyzephr
I am interested in studying modern languages with business in uni. I'm doing German A-Level so that would be one of my languages, and then I'm also interested to study a second MFL from beginner level (possibly Russian or Mandarin).

I'm wondering if this is a good idea? I'm worried it could be difficult to do 3 separate subjects like this. Has anyone done something like this? Is it better to just study business with German?

Also, I saw a course like this at the university of Nottingham, but other unis that I've checked seem to only offer 1 language in addition to business. Does anyone know any universities that offer 2?

I know that's loads of questions, so any replies would be greatly appreciated!

Assuming your native language is English . I don’t think you have any idea how much harder Chinese is going to be to learn , especially when you are dividing my your time amongst the other topic ( business )
in business languages is a good idea at minimum.
that being said, Chinese is not easy
As someone who studies mandarin at uni . And is quite advanced . If you want you use chinese for business, it’s very different from everyday chinese . Much more complicated.
I’d say it would be better to pair one language with business. For business, mandarin would probably take you further. It’s difficult, but in very high demand.

2 languages and one other subjects means you’re splitting your time between 3 subjects. Your understanding of all 3 will therefore be less in-depth. You’ll also probably only be able to go on one year abroad and the year abroad is very important for solidifying language skills.

If I were you, I would just stick to one. Both are good languages to learn. German is easier, and still very useful. Germanic languages like Dutch and Norwegian are similar to German as well which means you’ll be able to offer abilities in more languages. Mandarin is in very high demand and can take you far in the business world. However, it’s very difficult to learn (hence why it’s so appealing to employers!).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending