The Student Room Group

How hard is final year? Can i get a 2.1?

So im currently just finished 2nd year and I am sitting on a low 2.1 at the moment (B3-69% average at my uni), during the year i didnt work too hard but i studied a lot for exams and only got a B and a C which i probably deserved but was a little dissapointed by it.
At my uni a 1st class is 81% and final year is worth 70% of the degree classification (2nd year was worth 30%)
My big fear is ending up on a 2.2 because Im currently borderline, just 4% off a 2.2, the postgrad course i want to do requires minimum 2.1.

So i was wondering is how hard is final year? is it a huge step up? The dissertation is what im most worried about. How can i ensure I get a good 2.1 or even better get a 1st? is that possible to go from a 2.1 to 1st? I just dont know how much higher the standard is to acheive a 1st. Should I be studying 8-9 hours a day?
Original post by Anonymous
So im currently just finished 2nd year and I am sitting on a low 2.1 at the moment (B3-69% average at my uni), during the year i didnt work too hard but i studied a lot for exams and only got a B and a C which i probably deserved but was a little dissapointed by it.
At my uni a 1st class is 81% and final year is worth 70% of the degree classification (2nd year was worth 30%)
My big fear is ending up on a 2.2 because Im currently borderline, just 4% off a 2.2, the postgrad course i want to do requires minimum 2.1.

So i was wondering is how hard is final year? is it a huge step up? The dissertation is what im most worried about. How can i ensure I get a good 2.1 or even better get a 1st? is that possible to go from a 2.1 to 1st? I just dont know how much higher the standard is to acheive a 1st. Should I be studying 8-9 hours a day?

Hello,

I completed my final year in Event Management BA this year and my experiences are the following:
because for the majority of the year my classes were just online and the face to face support I was used to was gone, I found final year a bit harder, so I decided to study more and just set my priorities on my studies.
I would not say that final year is a huge step up, but you will need to get prepared that it will definitely be challenging.
For your dissertation, I am not sure how is it done at your university, but I had an assigned supervisor, a lecturer who I could go to with all my questions and concerns. Also, if you have an academic support team, I would suggest you ask them for further help with your dissertation. Just use the resources that your university provides, and make sure you start the research for you dissertation in time, becaus that is going to be the most time-consuming part of the project.
If you focus on your studies and set your priorities straight, it should be possible for you to get a first.
About the standards to achieve a first, I would suggest that you ask your lecturers. They will be able to clarify it for you and by asking you will aslo show that you want to do well in the subjects.
As for studying 8-9 hours a day, I don't think that will be necessary. You might end up doing that, but the quality of the studying is more important than the quantity. So when you're studying make sure that you don't get distracted, take regural breaks and don't overwork yourself.

I hope my insights were useful and I was able to help you out a bit. Also please bare in mind that the grading and the requirements for your university might be different from the ones at Coventry.

Best of luck,

Anna, Coventry University, Event Management BA, Coventry campus
Reply 2
Original post by Coventry University Student Ambassadors
Hello,

I completed my final year in Event Management BA this year and my experiences are the following:
because for the majority of the year my classes were just online and the face to face support I was used to was gone, I found final year a bit harder, so I decided to study more and just set my priorities on my studies.
I would not say that final year is a huge step up, but you will need to get prepared that it will definitely be challenging.
For your dissertation, I am not sure how is it done at your university, but I had an assigned supervisor, a lecturer who I could go to with all my questions and concerns. Also, if you have an academic support team, I would suggest you ask them for further help with your dissertation. Just use the resources that your university provides, and make sure you start the research for you dissertation in time, becaus that is going to be the most time-consuming part of the project.
If you focus on your studies and set your priorities straight, it should be possible for you to get a first.
About the standards to achieve a first, I would suggest that you ask your lecturers. They will be able to clarify it for you and by asking you will aslo show that you want to do well in the subjects.
As for studying 8-9 hours a day, I don't think that will be necessary. You might end up doing that, but the quality of the studying is more important than the quantity. So when you're studying make sure that you don't get distracted, take regural breaks and don't overwork yourself.

I hope my insights were useful and I was able to help you out a bit. Also please bare in mind that the grading and the requirements for your university might be different from the ones at Coventry.

Best of luck,

Anna, Coventry University, Event Management BA, Coventry campus

Thanks for the info and tips! That’s a little reassuring

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending