The Student Room Group

What accent do you have?

Quick question what accent do you have? Where are you from?

Scroll to see replies

I have multiple accents as I grew up in different places. I'd say primarily my accent is basically a London accent as it's where I grew up during most of my childhood and teenage years. I live in Teesside now so I can sometimes speak in that dialect if I want to. I also have online friends from the US so sometimes I'd be unintentionally kinda going into an American accent.
I have a mild Brummie accent
Reply 3
Received pronunciation (RP). A couple words I've taken the pronunciation of from my Irish dad though, e.g. I pronounce the a in 'almonds' like the a in cat.
I've lived in London for basically my whole life so essentially a London accent/southern english. dunno. also heard of this so probably some of that
how about you? :smile:
I'm from down south, in surrey. To me, my accent is the norm
east london
north-west surrey:smile:
(edited 2 years ago)
paaha ive had a couple people say i sound posh
I was born and lived in East London for the first 8 years of my life, and then we moved to west Kent, so I have a bit of cockney influence from that. I used to have a Warwickshire accent from my mum because she's from Coventry originally. Occasionally I'll slip into it and say something with a northern pronunciation. I don't know where it comes from but I also have a bit of a west country influence. I also have a bit of a Yorkshire influence as well in terms of my tone and such from people around me. My best friend spent his formative years near Leeds in West Yorkshire and originally he had a full on Yorkshire accent. These days he's mostly southernised but he still does have some influences and I think I picked it up from him over the years. I also know someone else from East Yorkshire and I used to talk with him quite a lot, so I picked up more influences from that as well.
Yes, it is very posh. West Surrey in general is very posh
Slight Aussie accent that really comes out when I say 'Australia', as I grew up in Aus but have now lived in England for 7 years so it's mainly been overshadowed.
My accent goes Scottish whenever I rant or sing along to the Proclaimers
And I also go into random accents when my mind wanders. Most common is whatever accent Gru from Despicable me has. It's an interesting mix
East Surrey like Redhill area isn't as posh and it's more like West Kent. East Kent is more like East Sussex than West Kent and if you go into the weald you'll find super-posh accents along the A21 Kent-Sussex border, like Wadhurst and Lamberhurst area. In the same way, East Surrey is more like West Kent than West Surrey. East and West Kent ought to be split into two different counties, East Kent and East Sussex should be merged, and East Surrey should be added to West Kent.
I live in Berkshire now lol
ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh in comparison to some other places yeah but its still scummy af
I have an accent that makes me say words that end in r weirdly :frown:
I didn't realise I had an accent until someone pointed it out that I say words like this:
Brother = brotha
Carer = Careh
Together = togetha
(edited 2 years ago)
I edited it.
Original post by SirNoodles
I have a mild Brummie accent

I'm really sorry to hear.
What's there to not understand? That's how I pronounce words

Quick Reply

Latest