The Student Room Group

Being "mature'' is overrated BS

Pretending to be all serious and **** isn't being mature, nor is being boring and like everyone else.

You live alone and are self-supporting, honour your obligations and pay your way? yeah, you're mature enough.

You can then do whatever you want. Go to rave parties, have a doll collection, never get married, etc etc

I am sick of hearing that once you get to 30 you must ''settle down'' and ''have a family'' (and I want these things btw, imagine how annoying it must be for those who don't) and you can't travel or get drunk anymore.

Who makes these stupid rules? and why especially younger people seem to think they make sense? is it cos you have to reach 30 or 40 to actually see for yourself you're still the same person inside?
Reply 1
yeah but I'm surprised so many younger adults seem to think it makes sense. I have friends who think they'll be all ''grown up'' when they're 30 and will stop playing WoW and drinking at 2 am. And they'll only have missionary sex with their wife.

Those who are now 30 or older know it's BS. It's the younger ones that do not.
Life just isn't as simple as 'settling down at 30'. It's unpredictable. You might be married with kids by the time you're 25, or you might still be going to bars and having fetishy BDSM one night stands at 45. It depends on so many factors. I personally want kids fairly young - I want my first in my mid- or late-20s, but nobody knows if that's how life will play out for me. First I would have to meet someone I actually want to have a child with, and that's even more unpredictable.
Eh all these people are doing is restricting themselves. If they want to engage in silly societal rituals and be miserable, they can do so.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending