The Student Room Group

cannot get a job? =.=

I'm sure alot of people are in this situation; basically I want a part time job for couple hours a week or so so i can afford travelling in 09

Problem is, I have no work experience, except voluntary work and atm I work at the counter at a takeaway for 1 or 2 days a week.

Each time I apply for a job, I never get a response; and I've contacted agencies and the job centre :s-smilie: hmmm

any ideas please??

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Apply to places directly??
Just keep trying. Seriously, it took me about 8 months to find my first job aged 16. I'm now on my second job and that took me a good few months too, persevere. It can be hard, frustrating and depressing but you will find something in the end.

Try signing up for some agencies, hand CV's out to every shop in town etc.

You say you have no experience but you DO.

On application forms/on your CV write about how your job how developed your customer service skills/telephone manner/given you an insight into the business world etc.

Good luck :smile:
keep at it... chec websites/shops regularly

i know how u feel, i lost count of how many applications i made, must be well over 100 when i finally got my first job at 18...for a gap year

just don't give up...and there's loads of places taking people for chrostmas at the moment

good luck :smile:
Voluntary work is more than enough experience to get a job, because you learn so much from it. All the people I've spoken to about my voluntary work have been really impressed. A few places you could apply to online are:
Boots
Woolworths
WHSmith
Marks & Spencer
River Island
Debenhams
Next
Monsoon
B & Q
Pizza Hut

If you'd prefer to work in a coffee shop or something just hand in your CV to those places.
Reply 5
well, atm it is a bit harder to get a job as people hire less due to the recession and not actually being able to afford extra staff. however places are still hiring, especially this time of year, they are looking for xmas staff. Is the serving at the takeaway not work experience? have you put that on to your CV. Also, how do you go about contacting places, i know you said youve been to agencies and job centre, but have you ever handed CV's with a cover letter into shops?

With regards to no experience, what is on your CV? because include things like Academic achievments and also you may have Hobbies that could count for some experience.

I would recommend trying places like BHS, Marks and Spencers, Boots, Debenhams, ASDA etc. The bigger the shop, the more staff they tend to hire for Xmas Work. Plus even if your not kept on in January, you will at least get some valuable experience in working. Also Voluntary work can be listed on CV's as experience :smile:
Reply 6
Thank you

just a question, is there anything you can do if they don't reply to you :s-smilie:
or just leave it and move on to the next one??
Reply 7
if they dont reply, just leave it. for every job i have had, i must have had 6 CV's handed in with no actual response
Reply 8
woofums
Also, how do you go about contacting places, i know you said youve been to agencies and job centre, but have you ever handed CV's with a cover letter into shops?

With regards to no experience, what is on your CV? because include things like Academic achievments and also you may have Hobbies that could count for some experience.

Yeh, I have handed several Cvs with cover letters to stores that were looking for people; but can i actually do this if theyve not said there looking for people, i am just afraid they will just leave my CV to the side to collect dust :s-smilie: that seems to be happening alot

and I have tried to pack my CV as much as pos :s-smilie:
you can try and phone them up i guess :|

normally, give it 2 weeks to a month, if u haven't heard from them by then, assume u haven't got it...

whereabouts are u?

if ur in london, there are absolutely loads of places recruiting right now...

also check out gumtree.com
Reply 10
tami*

whereabouts are u?

if ur in london, there are absolutely loads of places recruiting right now...

also check out gumtree.com

Okay :smile:
I'm still waiting for a reply from Montezumas .. its been 2 weeks almost ..

no, not in london, im in chichester in west sussex, its quite small so my options arent that wide :s-smilie:
Reply 11
eimi
Yeh, I have handed several Cvs with cover letters to stores that were looking for people; but can i actually do this if theyve not said there looking for people, i am just afraid they will just leave my CV to the side to collect dust :s-smilie: that seems to be happening alot

and I have tried to pack my CV as much as pos :s-smilie:

I have handed into stores that werent actually advertising for jobs, the worst that happens is they dont look at it, but ive had job offers from places that werent advertising for jobs before. Also, sometimes they will file it and look at it if they do need to hire, so theres no harm in giving one in.

SO your CV probably isnt the problem then :nah: Try looking on websites for places like M&S,BHS etc. because they do online applications which are worth a go.:smile:

But yeah, just persist with handing in CV's Everywhere that you would want to work
Reply 12
eimi
I'm sure alot of people are in this situation; basically I want a part time job for couple hours a week or so so i can afford travelling in 09

Problem is, I have no work experience, except voluntary work and atm I work at the counter at a takeaway for 1 or 2 days a week.

Each time I apply for a job, I never get a response; and I've contacted agencies and the job centre :s-smilie: hmmm

any ideas please??

www.monster.co.uk
www.jobsite.co.uk
Reply 13
http://www.inretail.co.uk/pages/content.asp?PageID=57

Try this site, they have quite a few diffenret companies. I am also trying to find a job and having no luck whatsoever! I hope you manage to find one
OP, when i was looking for a job, it took about 5/6 months of handing in cv's to get an interview. It then took about 4 months of interviews to get a job. The only work experience i had was voluntary. If you just keep trying, you'll get something eventually.

And anyway, most shops will be advertising for christmas temps soon, if not already.

Good luck anyway.
Reply 15
I work at mcdonalds, good pay (£4.50 an hour) And the work isnt that hard:smile:
Reply 16
Hmm,im in the same boat...I have about no experience...only Oxfam which I have been at for like 1 month and a week or something...and also,year 10 work experince..so basically nothing...:s-smilie:
Anderson8
I work at mcdonalds, good pay (£4.50 an hour) And the work isnt that hard:smile:

Good pay? :confused: You know that's quite appalling don't you? I've worked at some pretty crap places and my wages have never been that low, and i'm under 18!
Reply 18
Rock n Roll
Good pay? :confused: You know that's quite appalling don't you? I've worked at some pretty crap places and my wages have never been that low, and i'm under 18!

It isn't that low plus it's all work experience :yep:.

Best places are supermarkets, bars and fast food restaurants because there's always staff leaving. Just hang on in there and something will come up, I've waited 9 months in the past before a whiff of a job!
Reply 19
Rock n Roll

I only started last week and they are going to give me a 20p pay rise after a month, plus theyre fully flexible. So i work when i want to:smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending