The Student Room Group

Covid - still positive after 10 days of self isolation

Would I still have to isolate after 10 days of isolation if I test positive on the LFD? I have no symptoms
if youre still positive then yes 😂
You need to get a PCR test. Or do you mean you have done a lateral flow test after 10 days of isolating having been diagnosed with covid on a PCR test?
(edited 2 years ago)
You still have covid, so yes. Why would you go out in public if you have covid?
Reply 4
Yes you’ll still have to isolate
Original post by Anonymous
Would I still have to isolate after 10 days of isolation if I test positive on the LFD? I have no symptoms

Yes.

NHS > When to self-isolate and what to do

"Self-isolate immediately if:
you've tested positive for COVID-19 this means you have the virus"

Yes you'll need to self isolate longer if necessary. See below the NHS guidance on covid19 self isolating.
A NHS nurse who dealt with patients with covid19 in ICU.

When to self-isolate and what to do
What is self-isolation?
Self-isolation is when you do not leave your home because you have or might have coronavirus (COVID-19).

This helps stop the virus spreading to other people.

Self-isolation is different to:

social distancing general advice for everyone to avoid close contact with other people
shielding advice for people at high risk from COVID-19
Information:
It's a legal requirement to self-isolate if you are told to by NHS Test and Trace. You could be fined if you do not self-isolate.

When to self-isolate
Self-isolate immediately if:

you have any symptoms of COVID-19 (a high temperature, a new, continuous cough or a loss or change to your sense of smell or taste)
you've tested positive for COVID-19 this means you have the virus
someone you live with has symptoms or tested positive
someone in your childcare or support bubble has symptoms and you’ve been in close contact with them since their symptoms started or during the 48 hours before they started
someone in your childcare or support bubble tested positive and you’ve been in close contact with them since they had the test or in the 48 hours before their test
you've been told you've been in contact with someone who tested positive find out what to do if you're told to self-isolate by NHS Test and Trace or the NHS COVID-19 app
you have arrived in England from abroad (not including Ireland, the Channel Islands, the Isle of Man or other parts of the UK) see GOV.UK: how to quarantine when you arrive in England
What is a support bubble?
Information:
If you think you've been in contact with someone who has COVID-19, but you do not have symptoms and have not been told to self-isolate, continue to follow social distancing advice.

How to self-isolate
You must not leave your home if you're self-isolating.

Don’t
do not go to work, school or public places work from home if you can

do not go on public transport or use taxis

do not go out to get food and medicine order it online or by phone, or ask someone to bring it to your home

do not have visitors in your home, including friends and family except for people providing essential care

do not go out to exercise exercise at home or in your garden, if you have one

When to get a test
Get a PCR test (test that is sent to a lab) as soon as possible if you have any symptoms of COVID-19.

The symptoms are:

a high temperature
a new, continuous cough
a loss or change to your sense of smell or taste
The test needs to be done in the first 8 days of having symptoms.

Get a PCR test to check if you have COVID-19 on GOV.UK
Tell people you've been in close contact with that you have symptoms
You may want to tell people you've been in close contact with in the past 48 hours that you might have COVID-19.

What does close contact mean?
They do not need to self-isolate unless they're contacted by the NHS Test and Trace service. But they should take extra care to follow social distancing advice, including washing their hands often.

If they get any symptoms of COVID-19, they must self-isolate and get a test as soon as possible.

How long to self-isolate
If you test positive, your self-isolation period includes the day your symptoms started (or the day you had the test, if you do not have symptoms) and the next 10 full days.

Anyone you live with will also need to self-isolate at the same time.

You may need to self-isolate for longer if you get symptoms while self-isolating or your symptoms do not go away.
Reply 7
Whether you have symptoms or not your now a covid case so you will have to continue self isolating as you are no longer part of the test to release programme pls check the website www.gov.uk/coronavirus and also since you already are self isolating someone should be calling you to check up on you via the official number which is outbound only so make sure you answer the call coming from 0300 013 5000 between 8am-8pm
This happened to me, I tested positive around 10 days after originally testing positive for corona. I had been asymptomatic for a week but still tested positive lol.
This happened to me, I tested positive around 10 days after originally testing positive for corona. I had been asymptomatic for a week but still tested positive lol.

People can still test positive weeks and even months after having Covid. As long you no longer have symptoms, there is no need to self-isolate beyond the 10 days though.
Original post by black tea
People can still test positive weeks and even months after having Covid. As long you no longer have symptoms, there is no need to self-isolate beyond the 10 days though.

Yep, it's due to the fact that the PCR test picks up dead material of the virus, which would cause the test to show positive.
My son has done the 10 days isolation the school say as long as he has no symptoms his fine to be in school. As covid can be in the body for up to 90 days. I did a test after the 10 days still positive pcr test. They said a follow up test is not needed.

Quick Reply

Latest