The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Haha, of course I was the one that structured it, but theyre not my words, lol.
Reply 21
It bored me.
Lord Huntroyde
It bored me.

great! Cos I didnt write it, lol.
Reply 23
BlueAngel
great! Cos I didnt write it, lol.

That doesn't surprise me
Lord Huntroyde
That doesn't surprise me

why do you say that? Cos that offended me.
gave it a 3. I just think it was a bit too over the place. Try to focus more on the main message you want to put across. I had to drag through the poem. And I prefer poems that rhyme :biggrin: but then that's my taste and you have your own so..as long as you like it then you shouldn't worry about what other people think about it
Reply 26
wild thing
gave it a 3. I just think it was a bit too over the place. Try to focus more on the main message you want to put across. I had to drag through the poem. And I prefer poems that rhyme :biggrin: but then that's my taste and you have your own so..as long as you like it then you shouldn't worry about what other people think about it

Well, no wonder, because she took little bits from different songs.
JenniferPowers
lmao!

What was the point of this post then?

exactly! :confused:
Reply 28
Read the rest of the thread... she compiled it
Reply 29
JenniferPowers
But a lot of the great things about modern poetry is that it breaks conventions. Grace Nichols is a really good modern poet and she seems to totally ignore the 'rules' of poetry, and it works well! Other poets such as Stevie Smith and even Sylvia Plath do it too. For something TOTALLY different look at Ian Hamilton Finlay and Edwin Morgan.

I think that whilst there are benefits from reading poetry closely, there is the tendency to turn it into a science, and I always believed that wasn't what poetry was about. I think poetry loses its appeal when you do that!

Rules and styles change so fast, I think it's nice to just ignore that and go for something that suits you!

Personally though, I do agree that this poem sounded a lot like prose put into verse. Although it was a nice poem. Well done.

Out of those I only know Plath, but I think that to break the conventions you have to know the rules first.. and ALL poems stick to conventions of some sort!
Erm... yeah it was a bit obvious... I won't rate it because I'd give it a zero. Mostly because I personally would give almost all poems a zero. I really dislike poetry. I'm serious - I love reading, and I'm (apparently) a pretty good writer, but I find poetry to be... blah. In general I either find it stupid and obvious, or overly thought out. Like so much thought's been put into changing, correcting and evolving it that it's completely lost whatever message there was to give. Maybe that's just me. Who knows - maybe one day I'll read a poem that strikes a balance and enjoy it.
Reply 31
Yes, I found it a tad banal and dare I say corny. It was poorly structured with no fit patterns or schemes, so it carries itself awkwardly, I felt like I had to drag myself through most of it, as I felt it lacked emotion, despite the topic itself.
Hey that's a pretty good poem there. :wink:
BlueAngel
Haha, of course I was the one that structured it, but theyre not my words, lol.

Not really "your" poem then, is it? *looks at thread title with raised eyebrow*
Reply 34
oh no it was awful. my cat can do better while throwing up, but i give you A* for effort :smile:
Reply 35
*sigh* It makes me want to burst into tears it reminds me so much of myself.(and someone else) Oh, why do you have to post these silly things that remind me of him!?! :biggrin:
Reply 36
it reminds of yourself? dont be so vain, look beyond the mirror you gaze into
Reply 37
You didn't write it, you structured it. At least be original and try write something even if it's rubbish - it doesn't matter. :rolleyes:
Reply 38
im very modest but i myself do v good poetry
Reply 39
koldtoast
im very modest but i myself do v good poetry

What sort of stuff do you write about?

Latest

Trending

Trending