The Student Room Group

Hate my degree

Hey guys,

I don’t really know what to do! I have finished my first year of marketing at university and I absolutely hate it, the thought of going back to continue this degree which seems pointless makes me so sick! I have spent every moment of my university experience hating my degree, the university and the city I am in!

I honestly don’t know what to do, should I stick it out for another 2/3 years until it’s finished with because marketing is a good broad degree and I can do anything with it? Or should I change everything?

I already feel like I’m behind as I did a third year in collage and restarting will just make me feel more like 💩

I really don’t know what I want with my life but I just feel like marketing isn’t the degree for me, people I know haven’t even gotten degrees in the same area and yet they are excelling, this makes me question the point of university in the first place eapcially for my course specifically!
If you hate it, the obvious answer seems then leave? You’ve only wasted a year, don’t waste more time. Do another course perhaps but ask if you can go to a lecture for the new subject as a trial to see if you will enjoy it
Reply 2
Maybe you can transfer to a different course at a different university? Although it might be a little late for 2021 entry.
Original post by Anonymous
Hey guys,

I don’t really know what to do! I have finished my first year of marketing at university and I absolutely hate it, the thought of going back to continue this degree which seems pointless makes me so sick! I have spent every moment of my university experience hating my degree, the university and the city I am in!

I honestly don’t know what to do, should I stick it out for another 2/3 years until it’s finished with because marketing is a good broad degree and I can do anything with it? Or should I change everything?

I already feel like I’m behind as I did a third year in collage and restarting will just make me feel more like 💩

I really don’t know what I want with my life but I just feel like marketing isn’t the degree for me, people I know haven’t even gotten degrees in the same area and yet they are excelling, this makes me question the point of university in the first place eapcially for my course specifically!

Hey anonymous,

If you're only in first year, it would make sense to transfer off of your course and onto a different one - even at a different university. This happens fairly often, so don't feel like you're putting yourself behind or at a disadvantage compared to anyone else.

As some of said already, if you're looking to go to a different university you have likely missed the application window. However: you may still be able to go through clearing.

I would suggest talking to your current Personal Tutor/Course Leader and explain your situation as soon as possible. From there, you may be able to contact the universities that you are interested in joining to find out more about the course, university and location. Many universities will have a clearing hotline that you can call, but you can also email them.

You also need to consider Student Finance as a part of this: typically students are entitled for up to 4 years of student finance. In your case, you may be fine if you transfer to a different 3 year course but needing to resit a year or taking a placement year may affect your ability to get finance. Just reach out to Student Finance England (or wherever else you get your finance from) so that they can give you the best advice for your situation.

Hope this helps + best of luck,
~ Mikael, UoP Student Rep :h:
Yes I agree with what everyone has said.

Please don’t feel trapped, transfer courses while you can or if you are unsure of what to do, defer a year.

Please don’t do what I did. I’ve just finished my degree and really wished I had transferred in year 1. I didn’t and now I won’t be allowed anymore student finance unless I choose to progress on with this subject.

You only have one life, do what makes you happy!
Reply 5
Hey guys,

Life is too short! if you are not happy then change something, you could change your course or transfer to a different uni ? I studied marketing at university and graduated this year and over all i never loved my course particularly but i now have a marketing job which i do really enjoy. Just go with your gut, but dont waste anymore time if you really are hating you degree.

Also regarding the 'point of university', when it comes to salary after 3 months in my marketing role i have been promoted and had a pay rise- i am already exceeding all of my friends who did not attend university when it comes to job title and salary. However, salary means nothing if you hate the job. Just try to keep your mind open i guess- university is worth it if you work hard, get decent grades and aim high for a good job..
(edited 2 years ago)
Also can I add, have you worked within marketing before or had any experience within this sectors? It’s really difficult to choose what you want to do for the rest of your life when you’ve never experienced it.

No matter what degree you get, it will boost your chances of getting a better paid job but if you already feel like this so early on, change it while you can.

Best of luck!
Reply 7
Hey guys,

Their is a chance you would be able to change to a degree in a related field such as economics maybe

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending