The Student Room Group

University Halls for Second Year

Hi, I'm going into the second year of my course, and after spending a year at home, I'm unsure of whether I want to move out or not.

Friends from school moved out and made friends whilst I was stuck at home and made absolutely no friends, I feel so rubbish about that because I haven't been able to do anything all summer except work with people that don't really speak much to me.

On the other hand, I'm worried that because I am quite shy I won't make any friends if I moved out. I'm not really a drinker and friends that moved to the other uni were the same which I miss. My uni is only half an hour away from me, so I could travel up and down because I have a car so I could save a lot of money to use for a new car, but then I wouldn't make as many friends. The accommodation in the uni is actually quite small and clumped together for £110 per week, which is putting me off as I would rather go for a house, but because I know no one I can't even do that.

I am unsure what to do as I really don't want to be in a huge ton of debt for a room that I mightn't even like.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated !! :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
Hi, I'm going into the second year of my course, and after spending a year at home, I'm unsure of whether I want to move out or not.

Friends from school moved out and made friends whilst I was stuck at home and made absolutely no friends, I feel so rubbish about that because I haven't been able to do anything all summer except work with people that don't really speak much to me.

On the other hand, I'm worried that because I am quite shy I won't make any friends if I moved out. I'm not really a drinker and friends that moved to the other uni were the same which I miss. My uni is only half an hour away from me, so I could travel up and down because I have a car so I could save a lot of money to use for a new car, but then I wouldn't make as many friends. The accommodation in the uni is actually quite small and clumped together for £110 per week, which is putting me off as I would rather go for a house, but because I know no one I can't even do that.

I am unsure what to do as I really don't want to be in a huge ton of debt for a room that I mightn't even like.

You have made so many excuses to rationalise and defend your lack of effort in making friends. Others have moved out and started expanding their friendship circles whilst you remain in your family home like a kid.

I suggest you move out to uni. I don't really care whether it is next door or 100 miles away. Uni is the time for you to develop some independence and to “find” yourself. No need getting stuck at home.

If you cant afford it, then hopefully your loans would help you. Please leave your home and go to uni. You have the rest of your life to be an adult. Uni should be some of the best times of your life. Good luck

Hi,

Remember, uni is more than just getting a degree. It really is a time of growth, self discovery, and for most of us it only happens once or twice in our lifetimes. I would suggest that this year you really put yourself out there and meet people. The best thing about uni is that it really is a test of character in a lot of ways, and you may find yourself pleasantly surprised! Take the plunge, move out, you never know! My family lives in South Africa, and I had never been without them before, ever. Was it scary? Yes! No friends or family, new culture, new everything really, and you can imagine how expensive it is for me to have come here for uni. But, I don't regret it. The lessons learnt and people I've met make it all worthwhile.

I would really encourage you to not be scared or be in your own way, because who knows? You may wind up making lifelong friends and learning some valuable things along the way! Remember, you won't be the only one who had to leave home to be at uni, and you certainly won't be the only one who is nervous or is a homebody. Be brave! Hope that helps!

Samantha, Official UoP Rep

Hello,

Congratulations on finishing your first year.

I think that moving into accommodation will have more benefits than cons! When being put in a flat with a group of people it is very easy to fall into a routine with them and make friends. You are all in the same boat and want to explore together which gives you common ground.

At YSJ we offer university managed housing which gives you the cheaper option of living in a house but you can be placed with Freshers or those in the same position as you. It is maybe worth contacting your accommodation team and explaining to them, they may be able to accommodate in such a way. Even if you are just placed with second years in normal accommodation, it allows for more common ground and you may find it easier to make friends. They may have some flats for quieter groups or those that do not want to drink. That is often an option on the accommodation application form.

I was very shy around my new flat mates at first and was worried about making friends. Now they are my friends for life and I do not stop talking. I think that sometimes leaving your comfort zone can help you to surprise yourself.

As for the debt, most people do not pay off their student loans and don't even notice the repayments when you do. Whilst it is something to consider, I would not let it sway your decision too much.

On the other hand, lots of people commute for their whole degree and still have a great experience. You could reach out to find any commuters on your course or in your university and form some friendships with them? If you join a society you will be able to make lots of friends without having to live in. Often times meetings are after a university day and so you could commute in to your lecture and then head to a meeting. There are definitely lots of ways to make friends if you get stuck in.

I hope this helps your decision!
Lydia :smile:

Hey Anonymous,

I totally understand how you are feeling and I can appreciate the difficulties of moving out. However, I think uni is such a unique opportunity and there are very few situations where you can meet so many different people from different backgrounds.

In terms of making friends, I really wouldn't worry as there are such a wide variety of individuals I feel like you end up finding your friends. During the first couple of weeks I would try and step out of your comfort zone as everyone is extremely keen to make friends and talk to each other. Additionally, many people find they mature a lot at uni and find themselves. In terms of the debt I can understand but if you get a maintenance load from student finance england it is paid back as a percentage of what you earn so it is not like a conventional debt.

As someone who could've stayed at home during uni I would really recommend you do experience student life at uni if you can as it really is a once in a lifetime experience.

I hope this helps you out and feel free to let us know if you have any further questions!
From,

Amina 😊

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending