The Student Room Group

Forever feeling regret over not going to a Russell Group

I haven't been happy with where I am at since 2019. My grades are fine, and I am entering third year, however I always have regrets about not going to a Russell group as I felt like I didn't fit here.

How do I get over this?
Original post by Starlightmoon123
I haven't been happy with where I am at since 2019. My grades are fine, and I am entering third year, however I always have regrets about not going to a Russell group as I felt like I didn't fit here.

How do I get over this?

What is so special about the Russell Group? It's just a group of universities. No one beyond this website gives a damn about it.

If your degree allows you to move onto the next step of your life then I'd call that a success regardless of where you study.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Blue_Cow
What is so special about the Russell Group? It's just a group of universities. No one beyond this website gives a damn about it.

If your degree allows you to move onto the next step of your life then I'd call that a success regardless of where you study.

It's just the experience I've had here, I just feel a little disappointed. Maybe it's the pandemic too what has affected my mood.
It's just the experience I've had here, I just feel a little disappointed. Maybe it's the pandemic too what has affected my mood.

I can assure you going to an RG university does not translate to a better student experience.

University isn't all it's hyped it to be. You only have a year left - make the most of what you can, I guess.
This is so interesting.
I'm the opposite, I'm glad I dropped one like a hot potato and cringe when I think of the possibility of having been there for 3 years instead.
oof, I just felt something writing this lol
Original post by Blue_Cow
I can assure you going to an RG university does not translate to a better student experience.

University isn't all it's hyped it to be. You only have a year left - make the most of what you can, I guess.

PRSOM!!
Original post by Satori Tendō
This is so interesting.
I'm the opposite, I'm glad I dropped one like a hot potato and cringe when I think of the possibility of having been there for 3 years instead.
oof, I just felt something writing this lol

Why, was it because they put too much pressure onto students? I have many reasons as to why I wanted to go, but then again I should just be grateful for going to uni in the first place haha
Going to an RG university does not equate to a better student experience, as many RG students will vouch for.

The RG mainly refers to a group of universities with greater emphasis on research output - it has little to do with undergraduate status, teaching or experience.
Might just be my experience alone and not the actual university then...

How do I get over this?

It would have been better to focus proactively what you want to achieve in the future, and work towards those goals.

Now you still have a year (maybe 2) left at university. I suggest you come up with goals for this and doing amazing things.

University is about what you accomplish not where you are.
It does depend on what you mean about feeling like you "don't fit in", I guess, but: if it's any help, I am living proof that the "Russell Group uni" experience doesn't always pan out well/isn't all it's cracked up to be/doesn't guarantee success :yep:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending