The Student Room Group

When did something start out badly, but turn out great in the end?

This is a Golden Thread, join in with the discussions listed below before the competition closes at midnight on Friday the 20th August 2021 in order for a chance to win 5,000 rep points!

When did something start out badly, but turn out great in the end?
An unfortunate start but a terrific end!
Tell us your stories below:

Below are the rest of the golden threads, remember each post in any of these threads is an entry to the competition! :woo:

Note: spamming is not allowed and normal TSR Community Guidelines still apply :fyi:
Golden Threads1 - Sum up 2021 in a gif or meme!
2 - If you could speak any language on Earth which would you pick?
3 - If you could be part of any film/tv universe, what would it be?
4 - What would you put in a TSR Time Capsule?
5 - If you could create an emoji, what would it look like?
6 - Which animal should be renamed and to what?
7 - What did you wish you'd learnt at school but didn't?
8 - When did something start out badly, but turn out great in the end?
9 - How many times can you repost Golden Fred in this Golden thread?
10 - If a TSR user could narrate your life, who would you like it to be?
(edited 2 years ago)
this is a true story- so in yr6 i auditioned for one of the main roles in the end of yr show(you know when you do a musical like hairspray or greece)

so anyways their was a part of the audition where u had to sing and omg was I shaking like sis I was terrified and you had to sing infront of the enitre yr!!! But guess what girl I sang my gucci filled heart out

Spoiler

Original post by nikkiblonsky
this is a true story- so in yr6 i auditioned for one of the main roles in the end of yr show(you know when you do a musical like hairspray or greece)

so anyways their was a part of the audition where u had to sing and omg was I shaking like sis I was terrified and you had to sing infront of the enitre yr!!! But guess what girl I sang my gucci filled heart out

Spoiler

YES QUEEN :gthumb:
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 4
Hmmm, probably how I gained one of my closest friends but it's a long story, so hold tight! (but alas, we are close no longer :frown: - but it's not due to an argument or anything!)

I used to have this really close friend (we are still friends but not as close as we used to be just due to a lack of contact due to them moving away) but anyway, let's call this friend. Carl. Carl and I were like two peas in a pod, you could not separate us and we were so in sync that we'd finish our sentences off and we liked each other's interests and all our interests (fandoms, favourite colours, hobbies) were all the same!

And then...Carl moved away, to the other side of the world to be exact. And I was super lonely and sad because who wouldn't be? And then, after Carl settled down in Australia, he introduced to me his new friend, Helena (let's just call her that), and I was so jealous. Carl kept telling me that Helena wasn't replacing me and that we could now be the three amigos but I wasn't having any of that nonsense. Helena and I clashed so much when Carl wasn't there, and we constantly argued and snapped at each other even though we shared lots of common interests and I got angry at her for constantly trying to pull Carl away from me. It was so bad to the point that our parents got involved and we blocked each other and Carl got upset.

And it was just terrible. We were like two cats that were itching to scratch the others' eyes out.

And then...during a video call with Carl, Helena came into the call and apologised to me, apparently after being nagged at by Carl. I remember feeling kind of bad after that, and then I separately contacted her and apologised. From that day on, we acted like nothing ever happened between us. And then our friendship grew, without much help from Carl actually, and then after about a month, we were all really good friends. We called each other most days and did our homework together and I kid you not, it literally felt like we were in a movie about friendship -

But anyway, that's the story about how I made one of my closest friends, Helena, although we had a sh**ty start, we ended up becoming really close and just accepting the fact that we could all be friends. Unfortunetly, I am no longer as close to Helena and Carl as I once was, (for those of you who care), but we are still friends and will talk occasionally! They are still both the best of friends and we no longer share the same interests but we still do keep in touch and our friendship never formerly ended, it just simply moved on as we grew up (I say that as if I'm even old enough to say that).

Sounds unrealistic as heck now when I'm writing it down but damn, year 7 drama was real drama, insults like "You look like a mushroom" were flying around between Helena and I back then XD

Oops, I've just realised I've just written this like a whole ass story but well, congrats if you've bothered reading this far :biggrin:
I had to sit next to the annoying kid in history after we returned this March. He ended up getting suspended in April until June, and when he returned he spent most of his time angrily cursing under his breath and refusing to speak to anyone, so I guess that ended nicely.
(edited 2 years ago)

I can relate!

It ended up being one of the absolute best things that happened to me and I'm so glad I didn't end up with where I thought I wanted to go :h:
Not a truly bad start but love this story in school and how it ended.

In year 8 one of my classmates had a tendency to just hide in lessons often just to see how long it would take. One time in this drama class he did this and was obviously marked as absent and the teacher planned on writing a note to his parents and would give a detention for being absent since he was present earlier in the day and nothing was noted for the register of him going to be absent.

Drama class proceeds and the routine for this one is a (comedic I believe) elevator scenario and our group decided to have one of our members as elevator attendant. When discussing some actions to do the boy playing the attendant leans back in his chair into the curtains for one of the window and we hear a voice go "oi f* off" and its the guy who liked to hide during the lessons sometimes from earlier, hiding behind the curtain (don't know how no one passed outside not seeing him though ig not many during lessons).

We made a deal with him that we wouldn't rat on him hiding if he played the part of the elevator announcements saying "doors opening" "doors closing" and the timing of this was from the boy playing the attendant subtly leaning back in his chair to touch him through the curtains.

It's our turn for the performance and it goes as planned though everyone watching including the teacher is just so confused as to how this voice for the elevator was being so well timed for when people were coming into the elevator etc. Our performance ends and he comes out from hiding and everyone gives a massive applause for what we came up with. One of the most memorable drama groups I had been in during school and for the guy hiding, he got marked absent but the teacher entirely forgot that he was before as she was focused on what just happened with our performance and he got away with the note being given and the detention.
My gcse results
When I was born.
This is technically not my story, but it’s a story about someone I know that always inspires me and makes me really happy for that individual and how their life has turned out.

I was friends with someone when I was a teenager who unfortunately had some really awful things happen to them and ended up dropping out of school and spending several years in and out of psych hospitals. Things were really rough for them and one point I was really worried that they wouldn’t make it. After eventually getting the correct diagnosis and the right therapy, they managed to get out of hospital, back into education, and are now an ambassador for various organisations helping people with their illness. They are also back to doing their hobbies, have a beautiful family, and are just doing amazing - every time I see their photos and posts on FB, it just makes me really happy for them and how far they have come.

This is why I always encourage people to get help, because things can and do get better with the right support and treatment.
Keep sharing! Competition ends midnight on Friday!
Reply 12

Uni for me, too.

Bombed my a levels, but got wherevI wanted in the end
When I posted on this thread and got 5000 rep points even tho I never expected to win.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by CheeseIsVeg
the competition closes at midnight on Friday the 20th August 2021

Original post by PrettymuchGod
When I posted on this thread and got 5000 rep points even tho I never expected to win.

I can totally understand where you’re coming from. You’re a time traveler of course.
Original post by PrettymuchGod

of course :tongue:

Spoiler

(edited 2 years ago)

Latest