The Student Room Group

Can’t afford uni

I’m in a situation where the only accommodations left are the expensive ones. I can only really afford a maximum of £120ish per week with my student loan.

Do you think it’s worth the risk taking the £142 and getting a part time job?

How is it balancing uni work, a part time job and a social life?
A lot of students get part time jobs. You have to do what you have to do 🤷
Original post by Anonymous
A lot of students get part time jobs. You have to do what you have to do 🤷

No, retail shop employers (most likely boomers) want to have it rough on students.
Reply 3
No, retail shop employers (most likely boomers) want to have it rough on students.

Wdym
Reply 4
I'd suggest just getting a part time job, check to see if there any available on your campus since those would be catered to you. However, if you can't find one there, there are lots of vacancies right now thanks to the "pingdemic". Explore local part time jobs and most should have flexible hours.
You don't have to go to university, if you cant afford then think about other career routes like apprenticeships, different jobs, training, business etc

not really, many retail jobs are easy to get because they don’t require certain skills or qualifications.
Original post by Stevie_Ggg
I’m in a situation where the only accommodations left are the expensive ones. I can only really afford a maximum of £120ish per week with my student loan.

Hiya,

Balancing is just a part of life. Now, it's uni, part time job and social life, in the future it's gonna be job, social life, family obligations for example. I would definitley recommend that you get a job, that way you'll have time to get used to balancing. If you're worried about employers who may not be that accommodating to your student schedule/needs, then I would highly recommend seeing if there are paid part time positions that are being offered to students by your uni. I have worked for external employers and since I started working for my uni, my life has just gotten easier because they understand first and foremost that I am a student. If you'd still rather not, I know Five Guys is pretty accommodating to uni students, I know someone on my course who works there and they love it. Hope this helps! Anything else, lmk! All the best!

Samantha, Official UoP Rep

@Stevie_Ggg
Of the fifty or so people that I knew at University during our degree, I didn't know anyone who hadn't got a part time job. Supermarkets are great employers as they usually insist on you doing at least one weekend day a week which stops it clashing with your sessions. Indeed.com is a brilliant website to look for work, and the local student union usually have an avenue to look for work too

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador
A lot of students get part time jobs and manage it. Jobs run by the uni (ambassador roles) or union (bar, cafe etc) are generally possible because they tend to be more flexible around studies.

Another option may be finding full time work over the summer months to keep you going for the following year. Or even take a whole gap year before uni to work full time and try to save up enough to make up the difference for the whole 3 years (or at least with minimal working alongside studies).

Are you going for uni accom? If so you may also find cheaper accom options looking at houseshares in the private market.

Ah you must go to uni in London.

Honestly id take the cheaper accommodation providing it offers all the essential amenities you need. For most people a part time job (especially in first year) is manageable. Id also say work over the holidays and save up. You have such long summers, make good use of them...

Get one if you can as long as it doesn’t seriously impact your studies. Also, keep your eye on the housing market especially during September and October as there will always be students who drop out and create vacancies for cheaper accommodation.

You will be fine balancing a part time job and uni, but it is a risk taking on accommodation that you can't pay for. And then you have your living/social costs/bills on top.

Have you looked to see whether other options, such as privately renting, will be cheaper? In most uni towns and cities, you will be able to rent a room for less than £600 a month (although you may have additional bills on top).

Even with a part time job. I'd doubt you'd afford that with a maintainance loan. There's bound to be a cheaper place to stay. Keep looking and look at both the halls and shared houses.
We’ve been visiting a lot of university towns/cities this summer to try and get a feel for them. They all seem to have a real shortage of bar and wait staff, so you might manage it.

Won't your parents/carers top up the loan as they are meant to?
Original post by mnot
Ah you must go to uni in London.

Honestly id take the cheaper accommodation providing it offers all the essential amenities you need. For most people a part time job (especially in first year) is manageable. Id also say work over the holidays and save up. You have such long summers, make good use of them...

I don’t think OP has the option of cheaper accommodation, and it’s not necessarily London. Bath and Lincoln both have accommodation available for £200 odd a week, for example. University accommodation is big business these days

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending