The Student Room Group

Any new Y11's wanting any advice? :)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by _Robyn_
When should I revise for my mocks? I've just found out that mine r in early November so I feel like I won't have enough time to revise everything. I saw in the other comments that basically u don't like timetables . Do u think I should make a timetable to fit everything in in time?

Hi!

I'd personally say start revising as soon as possible.

My mocks were also around this time and I thought I'd just revise around October time... but I didn't end up doing any revision at all because I basically had no motivation (+corona but that's not really an excuse). I had to cram revise the week before all of my mocks. It wasn't fun let me tell you that haha. (Seriously, please don't do this. It RUINS your sleep schedule).

Try to revise for them as much as possible now and get yourself motivated before its too late. Don't forget: if corona spikes again, these will be the foundation to your final grades.

Good Luck with your mocks. :smile:
Original post by Amzylolpeaceful
Oh my gosh- really?!! Everyone has different expectations- I’m like you- mine are very high. But no person is the same- our brains function differently. You only get one life, do you really need to use it calling people out? 😂

I was just being frank with the OP.

GCSE grades really are drastically inflated, and I'm not one of those who calls top 20% amazing. Exceptional belongs to more like the top 2%, 2 SD rule.

'no person is the same' Yeah, finite genetic factors and finite environmental factors do multiply to infinite factors!
Misleading generalisation that society invents to soothe themselves from the reality that there can be clones of ourselves, and there are if the universe is infinite. This is also the reasons why we have destructive white lies even though it's better to be frank, we are emotional creatures, not rational.

'You only get one life, do you really need to use it calling people out?'
Well, it could be worth it if that specific person was drastically inflating the meaning of 'amazing'. And even more worth it if said person is kissing the asses of those who are like 'all your works are excellent' to everyone.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by imaanali15
Thank you so much, I also wanted to know if there were interviews this year and do u think that people going into year 11 will need to do interviews for colleges :smile:

Hi again!

Colleges always interview as far as I know. However don't worry - unless they've stated it will be similar to an ACTUAL real life interview (e.g a job interview), it should only be them asking what you're interested in taking and your predicted grades. That was what it was like for me.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by justlearning1469
Well if you think your grades are 'amazing' then we'll agree to disagree. 7-9 isn't amazing though it's well, unless you really are homeless, with no paper, textbooks, gang violence everywhere then yes they are amazing.

Grades have not been 'inflated slightly' as you put it it has been drastically inflated, look what happened to the 9s being almost double in amount.
I was never talking about hard work I was talking about how amazing the results were.

"According to its analysis “2021 grades are slightly higher than those from 2020 in most, but not all, subjects”.

This proves that grades haven't been "drastically inflated".

Anyways well done Annabrownbridge for your awesome results 👏👏👏
Original post by 16salmanigmail
"According to its analysis “2021 grades are slightly higher than those from 2020 in most, but not all, subjects”.

This proves that grades haven't been "drastically inflated".

Anyways well done Annabrownbridge for your awesome results 👏👏👏

9s have bloated from 4.5% to 7.4% from 2019-21.
https://analytics.ofqual.gov.uk/apps/GCSE/Outcomes/

This is a 64 percent inflation. And 17% from 2020-21 which isn't insignificant at all.

It is drastic if you see the pre-pandemic values.

So for her mostly 7-9, top 28.5% to top 7.4% is 'amazing', that's above average and doing well, yes but not 'exceptional'.

Exceptional starts from top 2%, with the 2 SD rule.

At top 2% a student will need significant differentiation because the stuff will be too straightforward otherwise. For instance single-subject acceleration, competitions etc.

At top 15% yes that person is above average but they can be served pretty well with some differentiation.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by annabrownbridge
Hi again!

Colleges always interview as far as I know. However don't worry - unless they've stated it will be similar to an ACTUAL real life interview (e.g a job interview), it should only be them asking what you're interested in taking and your predicted grades. That was what it was like for me.

Thank you, what month are you usually called for an interview? Straight after October mocks, we have another set in January in my school which is why I am wondering. Appreciate this
Thank you, what month are you usually called for an interview? Straight after October mocks, we have another set in January in my school which is why I am wondering. Appreciate this

Hi,

It ranges from college to college but here is what happened with mine:

We (applicants) submitted an online application form to show our interest and were told via post we would get a call from someone from the college about a week after. This would be our interview. It wasn't dependent on when our mocks were, it was just scheduled from the date you applied. They only want your predicted grades to get an idea of whether you fit the requirements of the course. They don't really care about your mock grades (unless of course that is the only way you find out your predicted grades - my old secondary gave us ours at the start of the year). As far as I know, they only ever ask for: your predicted grades in your interview and your final grades at your enrolment (late August-ish time).

Hope this helped. Sorry I wasn't able to fully answer your question. Your college may be different to mine. :smile:
I'm just going into Y12 in September so I just finished Y11 through COVID, like you'll be doing this year (although hopefully not as extreme).

Ask me anything you're worried/stressed about or even any general questions and I'll give you the best answer I can! :smile:

hey. i wanted to ask do you have any tips on how to move from foundation to higher (Spanish). Also as its just the start of year, what should i be doing now to guarantee good grades. Any mistakes or regrets you have and wish other people don't make the same mistake too?
Original post by amtulsab_x
hey. i wanted to ask do you have any tips on how to move from foundation to higher (Spanish). Also as its just the start of year, what should i be doing now to guarantee good grades. Any mistakes or regrets you have and wish other people don't make the same mistake too?

Hey, I am starting year 11 but in year 10 I moved from foundation to higher in both German and French- Languages. Tbh all I did is focus mostly on the writing paper as thats's where most marks are available and I did this by practicing to write in all 3 tenses, usuing a variety of vocabulary- ur teacher should already provide you with vocab to learn and I also corrected any grammar mistakes. Best of luck to you :smile:
Hey, I am starting year 11 but in year 10 I moved from foundation to higher in both German and French- Languages. Tbh all I did is focus mostly on the writing paper as thats's where most marks are available and I did this by practicing to write in all 3 tenses, usuing a variety of vocabulary- ur teacher should already provide you with vocab to learn and I also corrected any grammar mistakes. Best of luck to you :smile:

thank you for replying :smile: . as there is so much vocab to learn do u have any effective ways to use in which i can progressively memorize vocab?
thank you for replying :smile: . as there is so much vocab to learn do u have any effective ways to use in which i can progressively memorize vocab?

No worries, I revised a little bit of vocab at a time by using flashcards and the blurting method- it's when you write down on a piece of paper all the vocab from memory (with the English translation) so that you know which words you need to work on and it's a very effective method. Another thing I did which helped me incredibly is constantly reviewing the vocab every week so it can stay in my long term memory, and u should do this too! Don't stress too much, just focus on these tips and prove you are suitable for the higher paper in your mock exams, you'll smash it!! :smile:
No worries, I revised a little bit of vocab at a time by using flashcards and the blurting method- it's when you write down on a piece of paper all the vocab from memory (with the English translation) so that you know which words you need to work on and it's a very effective method. Another thing I did which helped me incredibly is constantly reviewing the vocab every week so it can stay in my long term memory, and u should do this too! Don't stress too much, just focus on these tips and prove you are suitable for the higher paper in your mock exams, you'll smash it!! :smile:

omgg thank you :smile: the annoying thing is that i really wanna be focusing on spanish rn but instead on our first day today they told us we have a suprise test for science so I had bio today and tomorrow its physics and and chem. like how can i pay my full attention to spanish when all these random tests keep popping out of nowhere. anyways its yr 11. i should just keep working hard withought complaining :smile: i hope you do well in your mocks too.
omgg thank you :smile: the annoying thing is that i really wanna be focusing on spanish rn but instead on our first day today they told us we have a suprise test for science so I had bio today and tomorrow its physics and and chem. like how can i pay my full attention to spanish when all these random tests keep popping out of nowhere. anyways its yr 11. i should just keep working hard withought complaining :smile: i hope you do well in your mocks too.

Just prioritise the most important and upcoming tests, and yes that's super annoying!! We had a surprise test in maths too and my teacher shared everyone's results via email and I got a grade 7, however since everybody else got a lot higher so she is saying I need to attend extra revision classes, which is really demotivating since I thought I had done well, but oh well
Just prioritise the most important and upcoming tests, and yes that's super annoying!! We had a surprise test in maths too and my teacher shared everyone's results via email and I got a grade 7, however since everybody else got a lot higher so she is saying I need to attend extra revision classes, which is really demotivating since I thought I had done well, but oh well

aww i totally get that feeling. at one point teachers are not always that reliable. don't feel upset. if you know you did your best then you should feel proud. dont compare yourself to others if all they do is snatch your confidence away.

thanks! good luck friend :smile:
I'm just going into Y12 in September so I just finished Y11 through COVID, like you'll be doing this year (although hopefully not as extreme).

Ask me anything you're worried/stressed about or even any general questions and I'll give you the best answer I can! :smile:

Should I cram everything a week before my mocks or should I revise a couple hours a day a month or two before them?
Original post by _Robyn_
When should I revise for my mocks? I've just found out that mine r in early November so I feel like I won't have enough time to revise everything. I saw in the other comments that basically u don't like timetables . Do u think I should make a timetable to fit everything in in time?

100% yes. make it super detailed with what topic and subtopic you want to revise each day. However this only works if you follow it!!!
I recommend making the 2/3 hours a night timetabled in. so you can do stuff before and after but make time for it with no interruptions.
also if you struggle with concentration download FLORA so you are unable to use your phone. Work in 25 minute increments and have a timer to maximise your effective revision.
HiI am in yr11 and I go to a very competitive school so I'm kinda wooried abt mocks coming up. I just had a few questions about applying for 6th form tho:1)apparently well get our predicted grades soon and we're gonna hv to apply to sixth form with tht. But I'm worried tht my predicted grades wont be high enough 4 the subjects I wanna take. So would I get another chance to prove myself?2) I want to take biology and chemistry bcoz I quite like the idea of medecine but I'm rly stuck about the other subject. I've narrowed it down to maths, psychology or computing. But I'm rly unsure3)Do I have to get references from my teachers for sixth form application even if I am staying at the same skl?Sorry for having such a long msg. But thank u for starting thread. Ur help us rly appreciated
Hi , do you have any advice on how to make a sixthform/college application stand out ? I have academic awards from my schools prizegiving , DofE and I do mock trial at my school. However I was unable to do year 10 work experience due to covid ( my school cancelled it) do you think many others will be in the same position from other schools ?
Original post by Freya.G
Hi , do you have any advice on how to make a sixthform/college application stand out ? I have academic awards from my schools prizegiving , DofE and I do mock trial at my school. However I was unable to do year 10 work experience due to covid ( my school cancelled it) do you think many others will be in the same position from other schools ?

To be honest, the first thing they will look at is your mock exam results, so you should ensure that they are good. Those sound excellent so do not panic and just make sure you include them. Your awards and DofE are very good and will make you stand out because not many people have done that since their school don't offer them and you could link them to a lot of valuable skills and characteristics! Best of luck

Quick Reply

Latest