The Student Room Group

Should i take a gap tear

All of my sixth form are starting to write their personal statements for uni and i’m getting worried as i still don’t have a clue what i want to do. I feel like i still haven’t found what interests me and don’t want to throw myself into a course that i might not like. Is a gap year a good idea? I’m scared about the thought of not having the security of more education when all of my friends are at uni but then again i feel like i still haven’t found myself enough to apply for one. Does anyone have any insights into taking a gap year or does anyone regret taking one ?
I didn't take a gap year but I know about people who did and honestly, it really helped them. My friend finally found out which unis she wanted to apply to and what course. Others spend it travelling/working and getting experience.

It's not the end of the world if you choose not to apply - please don't think it's the *right* option (it's not necessarily!). :yep:
Original post by RazzzBerries
I didn't take a gap year but I know about people who did and honestly, it really helped them. My friend finally found out which unis she wanted to apply to and what course. Others spend it travelling/working and getting experience.

It's not the end of the world if you choose not to apply - please don't think it's the *right* option (it's not necessarily!). :yep:

Thank you so much, i don’t even know where to start right not and it’s a bit overwhelming but you really put it into perspective saying it isn’t the end of the world bcs school teachers make it seem like that :smile:x
Original post by Lellyit00009
Thank you so much, i don’t even know where to start right not and it’s a bit overwhelming but you really put it into perspective saying it isn’t the end of the world bcs school teachers make it seem like that :smile:x

Word of advice: unless it's technical never listen to teachers! This is your life, don't let them make decisions for you just so they can make you a statistic to help them enrol new students.

Focus on your A-Levels for now and if the idea comes, you could apply later!

You're welcome, my DMs are open if you want to talk about it more! :heart:
If in doubt, always take a gap year. I’ve never known anyone regret it to be honest. You really don’t want to go to uni until you’re sure.
Original post by RazzzBerries
Word of advice: unless it's technical never listen to teachers! This is your life, don't let them make decisions for you just so they can make you a statistic to help them enrol new students.

Focus on your A-Levels for now and if the idea comes, you could apply later!

You're welcome, my DMs are open if you want to talk about it more! :heart:

I never thought about it like that but it’s so true, i think i will take a gap year after reading this and i’ll work and save up and then just see where life takes me, i think the fear is that if you don’t go to university , you’ll become a bum with nothing going for you but in reality with so much spare time there’s no way i won’t make something of it 💗
No need to cry ..
All of my sixth form are starting to write their personal statements for uni and i’m getting worried as i still don’t have a clue what i want to do. I feel like i still haven’t found what interests me and don’t want to throw myself into a course that i might not like. Is a gap year a good idea? I’m scared about the thought of not having the security of more education when all of my friends are at uni but then again i feel like i still haven’t found myself enough to apply for one. Does anyone have any insights into taking a gap year or does anyone regret taking one ?

What are your A level subjects, and your expected grades?
Original post by Copasetic
If in doubt, always take a gap year. I’ve never known anyone regret it to be honest. You really don’t want to go to uni until you’re sure.

yeah it’s so true,the unis will always be there
I never thought about it like that but it’s so true, i think i will take a gap year after reading this and i’ll work and save up and then just see where life takes me, i think the fear is that if you don’t go to university , you’ll become a bum with nothing going for you but in reality with so much spare time there’s no way i won’t make something of it 💗

Well done :hugs:
You're forced to make tough decisions at 18, but don't let life rush you. You've got the right mindset. :yep:
Original post by RogerOxon
What are your A level subjects, and your expected grades?

Sociology, Health and social and Psychology and i don’t know my predicted grades but i got A-Bs in my As level
No need to cry ..

? i’m asking for advice
No need to cry ..

Just realised my title ahaha 🤦🏻*♀️
Sociology, Health and social and Psychology and i don’t know my predicted grades but i got A-Bs in my As level

Do you enjoy those subjects?
Would you want a career in those fields?

You could put your A levels into this: https://www.theuniguide.co.uk/a-level-explorer

This will show you what areas you could study - but don;t rush into a degre you are not sure of :smile:
Do you enjoy those subjects?
Would you want a career in those fields?

Unfortunately i don’t really enjoy any of the subjects i do, I always was so interested in the mind and behavioural aspects of psychology but the content that we actually cover in Alevel psychology doesn’t particularly interest me. It could just be my teacher but yeah
Original post by Muttley79
You could put your A levels into this: https://www.theuniguide.co.uk/a-level-explorer

This will show you what areas you could study - but don;t rush into a degre you are not sure of :smile:

Thank you so much, this actually very helpful :smile: x

Quick Reply

Latest