The Student Room Group

can minecraft damage ur laptop??

I have a brand new 8GB RAM (also space for another 8gb stick) laptop rn (with 256GB storage) and have just redownloaded minecraft from the microsoft store.

Is it possible that minecraft can damage/ clog up ur computer with the processing needed and space it takes up?

sorry if this is a stupid q, but after i started playing it (from an sd card) on my old lenovo laptop i noticed the laptop started to function slower and eventually packed up completely, just showing a black screen after log in. (tbf i hadn't updated it in abt a year due to lack of space as well)

Also any tips to mitigate potential damage to laptop from playing minecraft (windows 10/ bedrock edition) in it?
Thanks! (:
(edited 2 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

No, Minecraft won't damage your computer unless it was already on its very last legs. Don't worry about it.
Original post by anosmianAcrimony
No, Minecraft won't damage your computer unless it was already on its very last legs. Don't worry about it.

thanks I think I'm being over cautious but I'm trying to look after this computer better than my last laptop...
No, laptops are meant to be used.
Original post by anosmianAcrimony

also do u think the black screen issue could be caused by my RAM stick like breaking? Cos my old laptop only had 1 8g stick and maybe that would explain why i get the wheel of death when i try to use the run menu from the black screen. Not rly sure tho
Original post by IrrelevantName03
No, laptops are meant to be used.

tru tru but some games only work well on these chonky gaming computers which my laptop is not lol
Unless your cpu/gpu is a potato it won't harm your laptop. Make sure you turn the fans up to prevent overheating.

Original post by cantnorithesuhi
also do u think the black screen issue could be caused by my RAM stick like breaking? Cos my old laptop only had 1 8g stick and maybe that would explain why i get the wheel of death when i try to use the run menu from the black screen. Not rly sure tho

How old was your laptop?
Original post by hungrysalamander
Unless your cpu/gpu is a potato it won't harm your laptop. Make sure you turn the fans up to prevent overheating.

How old was your laptop?

6 years old - it was a lenovo yoga touchscreen thing, abt 300 quid. I can't remember the exact model rn lol

8GB is completely fine for Minecraft.
6 years old - it was a lenovo yoga touchscreen thing, abt 300 quid. I can't remember the exact model rn lol

A 6 year old laptop was probably at the end of its useful life anyways so the same problem would've occured without minecraft. Just my opinion but java is better than bedrock.
Original post by hungrysalamander
A 6 year old laptop was probably at the end of its useful life anyways so the same problem would've occured without minecraft. Just my opinion but java is better than bedrock.

ahaha yep it probably is tbh but i downloaded the windows 10 version a bit by mistake as i didn't know the difference originally and it was the kind sold on the microsoft store. I'm not gonna spend another 25 quid on java now tho so I guess i'm stuck. The redstone differences are really annoying tbh
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Vapordave
8GB is completely fine for Minecraft.

yh the minecraft website concurs. I suppose it was just the extreme lack of storage on my old laptop that caused the problems tbh. Minecraft kept stopping on it as i ran out of space to store new worlds on.
I rly should have cleared out and updated the laptop before it got to that point but i suppose i was being lazy
(edited 2 years ago)
yh the minecraft website concurs i suppose it was just the extreme lack of storage on my old laptop that caused the problems tbh. Minecraft kept stopping on it as i ran out of space to store new worlds on.
I rly should have cleared out and updated the laptop before it got to that point but i suppose i was being lazy

also my original microsoft account got hacked and someone replaced the recovery email with some tempamailbox.info address. So that caused a lot of problems with saving/ uploading my word files to onedrive - and microsoft said i didn't have enough info to recover the account :frown:

in conclusion it was all a bit of a disaster towards the end of my old laptop's life
(edited 2 years ago)

Was it one of those laptops with ~32GB of eMMC storage and a Pentium/Celeron/Atom CPU? If so I'm not surprised it ran poorly - those things are literally e-waste from the moment they're produced.

Based on what you've said about your new laptop, Minecraft should run fine so long as it's got a decent CPU.
No, Minecraft can run on more or less anything.

If your laptop consistently overheats that might be an issue but I had an old laptop that idled extremely high (rarely went below 60 degrees) and survived.
(edited 2 years ago)
It'll be fine, so long as you don't try mining bedrock for more than 8 hours...
Original post by IrrelevantName03
Was it one of those laptops with ~32GB of eMMC storage and a Pentium/Celeron/Atom CPU? If so I'm not surprised it ran poorly - those things are literally e-waste from the moment they're produced.

Based on what you've said about your new laptop, Minecraft should run fine so long as it's got a decent CPU.

no i think it had 256GB SSD - it ran rly well for 5 years. Tbh I don't know what all the memory was filled up with, maybe i had a virus i didn't know about.
It had a 'Intel Core i5-7300U (2.6GHz), 7th Gen' according to the spec i found on the website.

What counts as a good core/ cpu? Idrk much abt computers if u couldn't tell ahaha
Original post by _gcx
No, Minecraft can run on more or less anything.

If your laptop consistently overheats that might be an issue but I had an old laptop that idled extremely high (rarely went below 60 degrees) and survived.

how come it was so hot when not running anything? Did u ever manually turn the fan up? (I'm not trying to give back seat tech advice here btw i'm just trying to learn more abt computers and things)

Also do u think manually turning fan speed when playing a game w/ a heavy load on up cpu is a good idea? or would a new laptop always adjust fan speed by itself?
(edited 2 years ago)
no i think it had 256GB SSD - it ran rly well for 5 years. Tbh I don't know what all the memory was filled up with, maybe i had a virus i didn't know about.
It had a 'Intel Core i5-7300U (2.6GHz), 7th Gen' according to the spec i found on the website.

What counts as a good core/ cpu? Idrk much abt computers if u couldn't tell ahaha

That's a reasonably decent CPU - more than enough for Minecraft.

Normally when a PC gets slower over time it's because of startup programs and background services accumulating over time, which can be fixed by disabling unnecessary startup programs or just reinstalling Windows completely.
how come it was so hot when not running anything? Did u ever manually turn the fan up? (I'm not trying to give back seat tech advice here btw i'm just trying to learn more abt computers and things)

Also do u think manually turning fan speed when playing a game w/ a heavy load on up cpu is a good idea? or would a new laptop always adjust fan speed by itself?

Dust collection over many years, thermal paste dries up, etc. (which allows more heat to be removed by the fan) If I was bothered about the laptop surviving I would have opened up to clear the dust. For reference this laptop was about 6-7 years old by this point.
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending