The Student Room Group

Could people be banned from flying any European national flags in Britain?

Heard on a radio phone in that public buildings could be banned from flying the EU flag and local authorities and schools be frowned up on if they acknowledge or in any way celebrate Europe day in May.

A person phoning in suggested that flags from other European nations also be banned in public areas. Is that going too far? We often fly the Italian flag, and I know I’ll get slated by others for saying anything pro-European but why shouldn’t I fly flags of European countries if I want? What harm is there in flying another flag, why should I fly the England flag?

Scroll to see replies

I don't think public buildings should fly the EU flag because doing that would basically be the same thing as saying they think Brexit was wrong, and I don't think they should take a political position.

Banning foreign flags from being flown is definitely too far. If a pizzeria wants to fly an Italian flag then I don't see anything wrong with that.
Reply 2
Original post by Louis IX
I don't think public buildings should fly the EU flag because doing that would basically be the same thing as saying they think Brexit was wrong, and I don't think they should take a political position.

Banning foreign flags from being flown is definitely too far. If a pizzeria wants to fly an Italian flag then I don't see anything wrong with that.

I find this whole argument so so sad. That flying a flag becomes so divisive. It ultimately seems to being used to say "If you are one of us, you must fly our flag, otherwise you are against us and therefore the enemy." Is that really what the "United" Kingdom now stands for?

We have been a part of Europe for a good lifetime. And now some folks are saying we need to pretend that never happened. What happened to solidarity and standing together, as a nation and as a continent. We share so much in common with Europeans. Why do we have to behave as if they are pariahs all of a sudden?
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by hotpud
I find this whole argument so so sad. That flying a flag becomes so divisive. It ultimately seems to being used to say "If you are one of us, you must fly our flag, otherwise you are against us and therefore the enemy." Is that really what the "United" Kingdom now stands for?

We have been a part of Europe for a good lifetime. And now some folks are saying we need to pretend that never happened. What happened to solidarity and standing together, as a nation and as a continent. We share so much in common with Europeans. Why do we have to behave as if they are pariahs all of a sudden?

I totally agree. I feel there is a dangerous nationalism growing since we left the EU.
Reply 4
There is a difference between not flying a flag and banning a flag. No-one has suggested banning any national or EU flag. However I think it'd be odd if the EU flag was flown by the UK state unless in a very limited way given its status as the Flag of Europe as well as the Flag of the EU.
Reply 5
Private individuals should be permitted to fly whichever flags they wish however the state should only fly the Union Jack and no, Europe day (and most nonsense days) should not be celebrated.
Reply 6
Original post by Rakas21
Private individuals should be permitted to fly whichever flags they wish however the state should only fly the Union Jack and no, Europe day (and most nonsense days) should not be celebrated.

That'll go down well in Ulster.
Reply 7
Original post by Quady
That'll go down well in Ulster.

Since I'm not one to support the Good Friday Agreement or NI protocol (both of which gave away too much) I'm quite content to give the finger to nationalists.
I consider flying the EU flag to be almost as offensive as flying the Nazi swastika flag.
Reply 9
What a ridiculous thing to get upset about, its a national flag (or collection of countries for the EU one) not the bloody swastika
Reply 10
Original post by HansLuben
I consider flying the EU flag to be almost as offensive as flying the Nazi swastika flag.

You really seem to have some peculiar fetish for hating on the EU, nevermind the bizarre comparison with the Nazis for no apparent reason, why is that? Or do you just listen to a lot of far right pod casts ?
Reply 11
Original post by HansLuben

So not offensive
Original post by Rakas21

Government flying local and national flags (and other UK flags like the flag of St. David) would surely also be okay?
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 13
This sounds like a xenophobic piece of legislation that could ultimately harm free speech. While we're no longer a member of the EU, there should be no rules on what flags may or may not be flown, with exceptions for flags likely to cause offence (such as the Nazi and Confederate flags). Would this ban apply to flying, say, the US flag, or only the EU flag?

To be honest I can't really recall ever having seen the EU flag much in the UK, at least in England. I've seen it a lot more when I've been in the Republic of Ireland, where attitudes to the EU are largely positive.
Original post by Ambitious1999
Heard on a radio phone in that public buildings could be banned from flying the EU flag and local authorities and schools be frowned up on if they acknowledge or in any way celebrate Europe day in May.

A person phoning in suggested that flags from other European nations also be banned in public areas. Is that going too far? We often fly the Italian flag, and I know I’ll get slated by others for saying anything pro-European but why shouldn’t I fly flags of European countries if I want? What harm is there in flying another flag, why should I fly the England flag?

Banning the flying of another countries flag would show this country to be desparate and insecure. It'd be pathetic.
Original post by RJDG14
This sounds like a xenophobic piece of legislation that could ultimately harm free speech. While we're no longer a member of the EU, there should be no rules on what flags may or may not be flown, with exceptions for flags likely to cause offence (such as the Nazi and Confederate flags). Would this ban apply to flying, say, the US flag, or only the EU flag?

To be honest I can't really recall ever having seen the EU flag much in the UK, at least in England. I've seen it a lot more when I've been in the Republic of Ireland, where attitudes to the EU are largely positive.

Worse, it's desparate.
Original post by SaucissonSecCy
Twatty post. Why not call them Irish unionists Vs British nationalists, since Ireland is in the EU and since the DUP and their ilk have proved themselves the bigoted ones. And they gave concessions because there has to be compromise because of this fact and the fact of Northern Ireland being on the same island as Ireland.

The terms most people in NI use are "unionists" (people who want NI to remain part of the UK) and "nationalists" (people who want NI and Southern Ireland to become one country). Both unionists and nationalists use these terms. Taking issue with commonly used terms in order to show that you're more of a Shinner than anyone else is pretty scummy - and I say that as someone who finds both sides abhorrent.
Original post by Louis IX
The terms most people in NI use are "unionists" (people who want NI to remain part of the UK) and "nationalists" (people who want NI and Southern Ireland to become one country). Both unionists and nationalists use these terms. Taking issue with commonly used terms in order to show that you're more of a Shinner than anyone else is pretty scummy - and I say that as someone who finds both sides abhorrent.

Why do you dislike both sides?

One seeks to preserve their country, the other wishes to support acts of cessation.
Reply 18
Original post by Rakas21
Why do you dislike both sides?

One seeks to preserve their country, the other wishes to support acts of cessation.

But which is which :/
Original post by Quady
But which is which :/

Objectively speaking Ireland was a part of the UK and not the other way around, thus there was nothing wrong in keeping a part of our nation while the south was torn from us.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending