The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by black tea
Good. Because they should be wearing what they want and what they feel comfortable in, not what you find exciting.

I think both sexes should tend to look to please the other, society would feel so much better that way. Out with the he-she jeans and cloth leggings for women I say.
Reply 61
Original post by heermeet
Have you seen how cold it gets in this country dude? Dresses don't protect you from the cold.

Plus many girls now are into sports or doing manual labour, trying doing that in a dress and see how easy it is.

Possibly that is something clothes designers could take into account or the girl choosing a dress or wearing something to help with that. I don't really see women doing much manual labour, even many guys tend to shy away from manual labour these days. Sport obviously involves sport gear and a change of clothes but it's really best to change out of sports clothes before and after the sport session due to hygiene and body odour reasons.
Original post by black tea
it rarely gets below 0 degrees celsius :lol:

and thats what, boiling hot weather?
Reply 63
Funnily enough notice this article this morning:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/weird-news/woman-accused-living-1940-explains-25036216

NOW THIS IS HOW ALL WOMEN SHOULD BE!!! :biggrin:

Think of how wonderful the world would be if all women did that. Men would be happy and in the men being happy so would women too :smile:

These days so many better looking dresses than in the 1940s too. These days all sorts of pretty and elaborate dresses, skirts & crop tops. So easy to impress a guy these days if only the women would come to their senses.
(edited 2 years ago)
I am unconvinced lol
Original post by !Capercaillie
Why do you think men aren't walking around in robes like Benedictine monks?

In fairness to OP I also view male style as having degenerated too albeit that probably peaked 200-300 years ago among the upper classes.
Wearing separates means that your clothes are much more likely to fit. I am tall - the average dress off the peg will have a waistband hovering somewhere between the bra line and my actual waist - not a good look or comfortable. It may well also stop above my knees - draughty and cold. Women have curves which can be quite variable but dresses just come in 10, 12, 14, etc so already you are trying to find a dress which is the same sort of shape as you, or you wear something sack shaped. Anything long will just get caught in the wheels of my office chair - many women work, don't you know? If you sit in a dress with fitted sleeves it can reduce how far you can move your arms - the same reason a shirt comes untucked but more restricting.
Wearing tights to keep warm is no fun - being encased in sweaty nylon for the day, yuck, plus they ladder really easily so are quite an expense.
Dresses dictate the sort of shoes you have to wear - mostly to far less comfortable ones that wear out quickly
Original post by Gavin2016
Funnily enough notice this article this morning:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/weird-news/woman-accused-living-1940-explains-25036216

NOW THIS IS HOW ALL WOMEN SHOULD BE!!! :biggrin:

Think of how wonderful the world would be if all women did that. Men would be happy and in the men being happy so would women too :smile:

These days so many better looking dresses than in the 1940s too. These days all sorts of pretty and elaborate dresses, skirts & crop tops. So easy to impress a guy these days if only the women would come to their senses.

I must say I was getting quite hard just reading the article :colondollar:

Oh my god, I think this is the worst thread on this website. TSR is just a treasure trove isn't it.

Women are not happy if men are happy. It's almost like what we do isn't dependent on you, nor how you feel. We're not trying to impress you. You approach us, we don't as often approach you.

Wear a suit constantly, sweetheart, it would make us ladies very happy and so you'll be happy too. Also, I like it when you wear those lovely little flats and organise your day around your girlfriend. Make sure to make her lunch to bring to work, sweetheart, wouldn't want her to get upset!
ITT: Man who has never worn a dress (but secretly wants to) tells women how and when to wear dresses.

Just stop, it is creepy af.
I've been wondering more & more about this one recently. Not only are dresses way more feminine than jeans or jean shorts, or cloth leggings surely they are way more convenient. I mean it's an all in one garment, a bit like a onesie but way more classier. A good dress can look wonderful on even a n average girl and make her look great. So it's way quicker and easier to put on than jeans & t-shirt or whatever. So why don't way more girls wear dresses???

As a guy to dress classy apparently tends to be something in the direction of a shirt and smart/smart-casual trousers. Now I think I'm not alone in not many guys wanting to bother with that in their spare time. To look decent most shirts need to be tucked in, now that's a pain, it feels like being a stuffed turkey. It's all shoved down there and feels uncomfortable, not necessarily in a major way but not comfortable in a relaxed way. A dress as far as I can see suffers from no discomfort problem like that, it's just a quick one on and that's it, looks and wears nice and easy I would have thought. Also none of this problem with the shirt pulling out over the course of the day. Sometimes I can't understand why the shirt is bothered with in any quarter at all it's so impractical. Does it really look all that great to women?

Would be interested to hear thoughts of girls & guys on this.

"they are way more feminine" - I don't care about being feminine.
"Surely they are way more convenient" - yeah, it's easy to put a basic dress on (fancy dresses are a completely different matter) but it's not exactly hard to put a t shirt and leggings on. Also, sitting down in a dress is a nightmare.
"A good dress can look wonderful on even an average girl" - I don't exist to look pleasing to you. And I disagree, I think I look better in jeans. I choose what I look like.
I don't wear dresses because I don't want to. I don't like wearing them, I don't feel comfortable in them and I'm certainly not going to be convinced to wear a dress because a man thinks it looks better.
haha, I would much rather wear a jumpsuit. they are just as cute or even cuter than dresses. you can look sexy in pants and a tee shirt. why dont men wear suits more all i see them wear is sweat pants and a tight teeshirt or a sweatshirt . not every girl has that special red dress for me its a jumpsuit it highlights all my good body features
(edited 2 years ago)
Because men are pervy and wearing a dress with bare legs makes me uncomfortable. As a girl, I get catcalled everywhere I go, dress or not, but way wayyyyy more when I'm wearing a dress
I don't see dresses being convenient or practical. I wear one only about a handful of times across a whole year.
How can you run wearing some form of dress? Surely trousers or leggings are more practical in that sense? That's me speaking from experience, too.
Also, pockets... whilst leggings don't tend to have them; jeans, trousers and especially cargo trousers are so much more helpful and convenient in that sense.
But more importantly, why does it matter to you, OP? If you love dresses so much, how about you start wearing one? And those are genuine questions; not rhetorical. Everyone is entitled to wear whatever they like in daily life. Comfort and practicality are subjective.
I’m going to give you the benefit of the doubt that you’re not a troll.

1) I wear dresses when I want to. Probably once or twice a week.

2) I wear them because I want to and not because a man thinks I should.

3) jeans and leggings are comfy and look stylish.

4) I don’t dress to please men

5) tights are itchy

6) with dresses, you need a lot otherwise it looks like you’re always wearing the same thing. With trousers, leggings, and skirts you can mix and match.

If you’re wondering why women don’t wear dresses constantly like we did in the 1930s, it’s because it’s now socially acceptable and we can finally wear what we want. Who is to say we enjoyed wearing them so much back then?
I've been wondering more & more about this one recently. Not only are dresses way more feminine than jeans or jean shorts, or cloth leggings surely they are way more convenient. I mean it's an all in one garment, a bit like a onesie but way more classier. A good dress can look wonderful on even a n average girl and make her look great. So it's way quicker and easier to put on than jeans & t-shirt or whatever. So why don't way more girls wear dresses???

As a guy to dress classy apparently tends to be something in the direction of a shirt and smart/smart-casual trousers. Now I think I'm not alone in not many guys wanting to bother with that in their spare time. To look decent most shirts need to be tucked in, now that's a pain, it feels like being a stuffed turkey. It's all shoved down there and feels uncomfortable, not necessarily in a major way but not comfortable in a relaxed way. A dress as far as I can see suffers from no discomfort problem like that, it's just a quick one on and that's it, looks and wears nice and easy I would have thought. Also none of this problem with the shirt pulling out over the course of the day. Sometimes I can't understand why the shirt is bothered with in any quarter at all it's so impractical. Does it really look all that great to women?

A shirt+trousers is hardly "classy", you'll want a jacket on top of that, if not a suit (to be equivalent to a dress). Tucking in a shirt really isn't that inconvenient, and having a shirt tucked in isn't uncomfortable, either. You can hardly expect women to dress well if you're unwilling to do the same.

Have you ever worn a dress? Some styles are certainly not quick and easy to put on. What's it really matter to you if more women aren't wearing dresses? Why the hell should that matter to you? It's none of your business, really, what other people are choosing to wear or not wear. Jeans and a top are just as easy and practical to put on as a dress and are often much easier. A jumper dress might be easy to slip on but then you've also gotta struggle into tights as well if it's chilly outside. One of my summer dresses has to be entirely unbuttoned down the front to put it on and then buttoned back up again. I also wear it with a white top and shorts underneath as sweaty legs sticking together is not how you want to spend your summer day. Dresses are not always easier and it's no one's business but the person who's wearing the clothes.

Maybe try wearing a few different styles of dress and get back to us on how easy they are.

P.s. you can take your comments about being more 'feminine' and stick them right up your backside. Dresses might be seen as traditionally female but lots of cultures have male clothing that's a similar length and appearance to some dresses. Scots wear kilts. And male children were dressed as girls until they were about seven in the victorian period. Think on that.
(edited 2 years ago)
I'm quite happy in trousers, a mens shirt and my X trouser suspenders. I'm not changing that for anyone :h:
Because maybe girls don’t care whether they look feminine or not and they’re more comfortable wearing jeans
Original post by JustACoincidence
Maybe try wearing a few different styles of dress and get back to us on how easy they are.

Genuine question, how do women do the zips up at the back without dislocating your shoulders?

I have tried and I just can't seem to do it.
Original post by DiddyDec
Genuine question, how do women do the zips up at the back without dislocating your shoulders?

I have tried and I just can't seem to do it.

Practice, a friend, and a lot of moving about to try and get it high enough up that you can pull it up with your arm bent the other way. it's tricky for sure!
(edited 2 years ago)

Latest