The Student Room Group

Lancster or Bristol for biochem

Applying for biochem as 5th option after medicine. Lancaster and Bristol both seem strong so was hoping for anyone else's insight, any other recommendations would be appreciated. This is my first post so sorry if I make any mistakes
Very different Unis - Lancaster is a small campus in a small town - Bristol is a larger city campus in a larger place.
Have a look at the campus tours and tourist films on YouTube.
Here is Bristol's tourist film to get you started : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khM7tjui86Q

Only you can work out which actual course will suit you best - both Unis have an excellent academic reputation so it just depends on the Uni environment where you will feel the most comfortable and which course appeals to you the most.
Original post by BamSarrow
Applying for biochem as 5th option after medicine. Lancaster and Bristol both seem strong so was hoping for anyone else's insight, any other recommendations would be appreciated. This is my first post so sorry if I make any mistakes

Just been to open day at lancaster with the youngest for zoology, but the talk also included biochem, and got to see the labs. The lecturers there were so so nice and helpful, and its super central in campus and not far from the library.
My eldests studies at Lancaster (different science) and shes in her second year.
In comparison to the two, Bristol is a bigger city. Lancaster is smaller city, but still has all you need when it comes to shopping and a couple of clubs and lots of bars. Its busses run from campus every 10 mins, and take 15mins to get to the city.
Students generally live on campus 1st year, but tend to live either private halls, uni city halls (chancellors wharf) or private accommodation for year 2 onwards. However you can stay on campus in subsequent if you wish.

Lancasters pros are :
Great accommodation at a cheaper price than some other unis.
Lots of different type accommodation from studios, superior ensuites, ensuites, townhouses, superior std, standard.
Lots of eateries on campus.
Collegiate uni
A bar at every college.(grizedale/pendle/lonsdale/cartmel/bowland/county/fylde/furness/graduate colleges)
A walkway called the spine which runs through the centre of campus and it mostly covered. Great for when its raining.
A woodland walk which is lovely to walk round the whole of campus (about 2 miles long).
A Canal path which runs parallel to the main road into the city, which is very pretty.
The busses main stop is underneath the uni, and its very frequent. You can get busses to morecambe, preston and blackpool (2 busses for the lakes)
The most enormous library ever. 4 storeys and even before the extension it was big enough lol
Post office, costa coffee, greggs on campus, and the most best place called Sultans which is a chipshop/burger/ kebab/ wraps/pizza place which is also sit in as well as takeaway. (they also delivered to your door on campus if you was self isolating too, daughter made the most of that one lol)
The city has a castle, and williamson park, great places to visit.
2 shopping centres
The city is mainly built mid 1700's and a lot of the buildings are like this in the city which is Georgian style if im right?:
lancaster.JPGlancaster 2.JPG
Student run night club called Sugarhouse, which means you only get students allowed there.
Relatively cheap to rent there (private halls are always more expensive anyway as they mainly have a longer term ie 51 weeks)
The uni itself has some great spots to just chill. Edward Roberts court is a lovely place to sit and have lunch. Lake carter, the fountain just in furness's courtyard with the ducks. The quad area in Grizedale.
Sports facilities are great and also very newly built building with swimming pool.
Train links to manchester, london and edinburgh.
Lots and lots of cafes.
And i'm not sure about BioChem, but for physics, even in first year she showed keen to get an internship, and she got one, so they are available if you show willing to the lecturers and your supervisor.
Good wifi on campus. She had to do her exams in her room this year and the wifi served her well :smile: (in person this year so its all good)
Pound bakery on Penny street, always a winner.
Lancaster as well on campus feels safe at night. Theres lots of porters about and its pretty decently lit. Shes come back from the library at 1am and felt safe going back to her halls.
The Lancaster city as well she feels comfortable safety wise too. Every city always has crime, but because its smaller, its crime rates are not as high as others.

Lancasters Cons:
Not great if you want to party every single night. Manchester or Leeds would be much better suited.
Weather, can be rainy at times but so can some other parts of the UK.
M6, always a pain if you dont get it right. Avoid Friday afternoon travel, or after 5pm on a weekday. Best times to travel are first thing in the morning. We get to junction 15 (stoke on trent) at 8 am on a Saturday, and get to Junction 33 (lancaster uni) for about 9.30am.
the previous person has done a great write up on Lancaster. Given you are going for medicine and this is your backup if all else fails I would not sweat it; both are top unis and both are great places to study. Historically Bristol has the edge wrt brand name .

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending