The Student Room Group

my friend is racist

my friend is lowkey racist and i've been trying to change his minset for years but we always end up in a long argument.

he has never personally been racist to someone (maybe microaggressions) or said any slurs. but he openly admits he has a racist mindset because he was raised by his racist dad, and that its too late to change his "mindset".

we get in a lot of arguments where he thinks that there's nothing wrong with saying the n word or other slurs. or that he thinks foreigners are taking his jobs and uk is better without them. or he says how all these racism movements is bs and doesn't help anything, so theres no point in them. i went to a protest for my own country and he said it's useless and i should just fly there to help, and it led to a big argument aswell.

he only shares his opinions with me and doesn't tell anyone else. i've been trying to change him for so long but it isnt getting anywhere.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
my friend is lowkey racist and i've been trying to change his minset for years but we always end up in a long argument.

he has never personally been racist to someone (maybe microaggressions) or said any slurs. but he openly admits he has a racist mindset because he was raised by his racist dad, and that its too late to change his "mindset".

we get in a lot of arguments where he thinks that there's nothing wrong with saying the n word or other slurs. or that he thinks foreigners are taking his jobs and uk is better without them. or he says how all these racism movements is bs and doesn't help anything, so theres no point in them. i went to a protest for my own country and he said it's useless and i should just fly there to help, and it led to a big argument aswell.

he only shares his opinions with me and doesn't tell anyone else. i've been trying to change him for so long but it isnt getting anywhere.

There is nothing wrong with saying ethnic slurs, as long as you don't say them in public.
All the racism movements are pretty useless at this point. Protesting for another country in your country is also pretty useless too.
The foreigner thing is the only thing here I actually disagree with but it isn't racist to believe this so it doesn't matter.
Original post by Anonymous

its not racist to have the view of strict immigration or that rascism movements do not work
Reply 3
So whatsd the problem/point of this thread? Or are you just venting?
Reply 4
Original post by sufys12
There is nothing wrong with saying ethnic slurs, as long as you don't say them in public.
All the racism movements are pretty useless at this point. Protesting for another country in your country is also pretty useless too.
The foreigner thing is the only thing here I actually disagree with but it isn't racist to believe this so it doesn't matter.

Its xenophobic tho?? And thats still wrong? Why are you justifying something which is clearly wrong? Also OP, Ask him why he even feels the need to say the slurs if theyre not targeted towards somebody
Original post by Sohello
Its xenophobic tho?? And thats still wrong? Why are you justifying something which is clearly wrong? Also OP, Ask him why he even feels the need to say the slurs if theyre not targeted towards somebody

there is nothing wrong with having the opinion of strict immigration, it is a valid opinion in a political debate
As a poc I'd say these are more political views than anything else
Reply 7
Original post by gaminghoodwink
there is nothing wrong with having the opinion of strict immigration, it is a valid opinion in a political debate

Thats not what OP said tho is it? He said that his mate thinks “foreigners are taking his jobs and that the uk is better without them”
Original post by Sohello
Thats not what OP said tho is it? He said that his mate thinks “foreigners are taking his jobs and that the uk is better without them”

yes but that still is a valid political opinion though
Reply 9
Some people won't change, so you decide if that's the kind of person you want as a friend.
Original post by Sohello

nothing wrong to say this.
Reply 11
Original post by sufys12

Why
Original post by jajja
Why

Wdym?
Original post by sufys12

Its xenophobic g
Reply 14
Original post by sufys12
Wdym?

How is their friend saying “foreigners are taking his jobs and that the uk is better without them” unproblematic. Immigrants are here to stay in the country and there is no way that this is coming from a place of genuine concern but bigotry.
Original post by Sohello
Its xenophobic g

Many would merely consider it selfish
Original post by sufys12

Depends on the manner in which this is said and how often.
The most obnoxious of loudmouthed individuals with these opinions are frequently in the habit of yelling, obsessively repeating the remarks daily/ in every single conversation and can get quite foul mouthed or vebally aggressive in their efforts to persuade others to agree with them. :getmecoat:
Original post by gaminghoodwink
yes but that still is a valid political opinion though

How is xenophobia valid? And its not an opinion as it is not subjective , he is stating that foreigners take his jobs, that is not an opinion it is objective. And there’s a lot wrong with that, bc a) foreigners aren’t taking anybody’s jobs, the uk has had labour shortages since way back bc its WHITE BRITISH BORN citizens are mostly unemployed so it calls over ppl from other countries, which you call “foreigners to work .
Original post by WazzWazz98
As a poc I'd say these are more political views than anything else

i know him and he knows batshit about politics. i said he literally admits he's a bit racist.
Original post by jajja
How is their friend saying “foreigners are taking his jobs and that the uk is better without them” unproblematic. Immigrants are here to stay in the country and there is no way that this is coming from a place of genuine concern but bigotry.

It is a valid opinion.
Original post by Sohello
Its xenophobic g

It isn't, it's not against foreigners, but it is against foreigners working here...

Latest

Trending

Trending