The Student Room Group

psychology: Invasive/non-invasive

What do these terms mean? I can't find a proper defintion
Original post by zarahh09
What do these terms mean? I can't find a proper defintion

If I remember correctly about this it's what I wrote below........

What is non-invasive in psychology...........
denoting procedures or tests that do not require puncture or incision of the skin or insertion of an instrument or device into the body for diagnosis or treatment.

What does invasive mean in psychology..........
denoting procedures or tests that require puncture or incision of the skin or insertion of an instrument or foreign material into the body, or to able to spread from one tissue to another, or having the capacity to spread, as in the case of an infection or a malignant tumor.

What is non-invasive and invasive..............
the major difference between invasive and non-invasive tests is that invasive tests are done by cutting or entering a body part using medical instruments, whereas non-invasive tests do not require breaking the skin or entering the body. Non-invasive tests include deep palpation, x-rays, and checking blood pressure.
Reply 2
Original post by Tracey_W
If I remember correctly about this it's what I wrote below........

What is non-invasive in psychology...........
denoting procedures or tests that do not require puncture or incision of the skin or insertion of an instrument or device into the body for diagnosis or treatment.

What does invasive mean in psychology..........
denoting procedures or tests that require puncture or incision of the skin or insertion of an instrument or foreign material into the body, or to able to spread from one tissue to another, or having the capacity to spread, as in the case of an infection or a malignant tumor.

What is non-invasive and invasive..............
the major difference between invasive and non-invasive tests is that invasive tests are done by cutting or entering a body part using medical instruments, whereas non-invasive tests do not require breaking the skin or entering the body. Non-invasive tests include deep palpation, x-rays, and checking blood pressure.

What does it mean by puncture or incision?
Its so hard to get my head around these deifnitions, i dont really understand it.
Can u explain it in a simpler form so i understand it please :frown:
What does it mean by puncture or incision?
Its so hard to get my head around these deifnitions, i dont really understand it.
Can u explain it in a simpler form so i understand it please :frown:

a hole in the skin (puncture) or a cut in the skin (incision)
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by black tea
a hole in the skin (puncture) or a cut in the skin (incision)

These 2 definitions are related to like bran scans like fMRI, EEG... It uses invasive and it just confuses me
These 2 definitions are related to like bran scans like fMRI, EEG... It uses invasive and it just confuses me

fMRIs and EEGs are not invasive. Something like deep brain stimulation would be invasive.
Reply 6
fMRIs and EEGs are not invasive. Something like deep brain stimulation would be invasive.

Am I stupid or something?
I genuinely dont understand
Am I stupid or something?
I genuinely dont understand

one involves sticking something inside the brain (invasive), the other doesn't (non-invasive).
Reply 8
one involves sticking something inside the brain (invasive), the other doesn't (non-invasive).

Sticking something as in?

What do these definitions got to do with brain scans?

I'm really sorry, I feel like i am annoying u so much. I just want to be able to understand it
Sticking something as in?

What do these definitions got to do with brain scans?

I'm really sorry, I feel like i am annoying u so much. I just want to be able to understand it

What is the exact text you are struggling to understand?

Best thing for you to do is research this further and you'll soon understand things better,

What is fMRI psychology.....
Functional magnetic resonance imaging or functional MRI (fMRI) measures brain activity by detecting changes associated with blood flow.
This technique relies on the fact that cerebral blood flow and neuronal activation are coupled. When an area of the brain is in use, blood flow to that region also increases.

How do EEGS work psychology...
An electroencephalogram (EEG) is a test that detects electrical activity in your brain using small, metal discs (electrodes) attached to your scalp. Your brain cells communicate via electrical impulses and are active all the time, even when you're asleep. This activity shows up as wavy lines on an EEG recording
Reply 12
What is the exact text you are struggling to understand?

like the actual definition. it has words i've never come across before and yes ik when ur learning something new u always learn new things. I keep trying to simplify this defnition so i can use to say why fMRI, EEG, ERP and all are non-invasive
like the actual definition. it has words i've never come across before and yes ik when ur learning something new u always learn new things. I keep trying to simplify this defnition so i can use to say why fMRI, EEG, ERP and all are non-invasive

Because they don't involve sticking anything inside a brain. If someone was going to investigate brain function by sticking electrodes inside someone's brain, that would be invasive.
Reply 14
Because they don't involve sticking anything inside a brain. If someone was going to investigate brain function by sticking electrodes inside someone's brain, that would be invasive.

I sort of understand it now
What does this 'sticking' bit mean? what is it called?
I sort of understand it now
What does this 'sticking' bit mean? what is it called?

Implantation, e.g. implantation of a neural implant
Reply 16
Implantation, e.g. implantation of a neural implant

Ohhh okay
I am honestly sooo sorry if I annoyed u
I understand it now
Thank you soooo much :smile:
Ohhh okay
I am honestly sooo sorry if I annoyed u
I understand it now
Thank you soooo much :smile:

you didn't annoy me, don't worry :smile: and no worries, glad you understand :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest