The Student Room Group

What is a good salary?

What is a good salary for someone still living with their parents vs living by urself

Scroll to see replies

Original post by HelloHello143
What is a good salary for someone still living with their parents vs living by urself

Depends on the job itself, so the requirements, qualification, responsibility, numbers of working hours, etc. No one should be underpaid, living with the parents or not.
Reply 2
Original post by Amy Stivens
45k I consider a normal salary

Normal for who? It is considerably above the average salary.
Original post by Amy Stivens
45k I consider a normal salary

In a year? even if it is in this period of time, it is a good one by considering a 40 working hours week and a net wage.
I’ve heard people say if you’re earning ur age x 1000 ur doing well but obviously where you work and how much you work are huge factors
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Reue
Normal for who? It is considerably above the average salary.

It depends on the working conditions. For normal conditions, you are right, this is above average salary.
Reply 6
Original post by Kallisto
It depends on the working conditions. For normal conditions, you are right, this is above average salary.

I'd say it has little to do with working conditions. Some of the toughest jobs are poorly paid; caring, cleaning, retail.

Whereas office jobs are typically far better conditions and better paid.
So many jobs are underpaid though e.g. starting salary for a newly qualified teacher outside of London is only £25k
I'll do you one better, £600,000,00 per second!
Reminds me of the time 6 year old me saw my dad handing a wad of cash to a builder who painted our house and immediately asked him "Are you married?". Little me was a planner!
Goal is to be the person getting the wad of cash! He did marry my cousin though, so maybe gold-digging runs in the family!
Completely depends on area e.g. how much the average house price is. But generally 30k and above is decent in my view (not in an area like London though!).
Reply 12
Original post by 1secondsofvamps
So many jobs are underpaid though e.g. starting salary for a newly qualified teacher outside of London is only £25k

True, it's the same for nursing too. And nursing is such a tough/stressful role.
I really want so see a medicine interview where someone's soul is crushed because they thought they'd get loaded as a doctor!
Original post by HelloHello143

@HelloHello143
My first post graduate job after doing a PGCE was £26k when I was about 25 years old, I now can earn about £36k at 34. I always thing it is not what you earn, it is what is in your bank after all your outgoings which matters

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador
Around 30k for single person out of London is perfectly doable.
Anything above 40k for me.
Depends on the location and specifics of the job.
Shift hours, usual overtime, experience and qualifications necessary, job requirements, whether any high risk daily elements are usually involved.
Original post by londonmyst
Depends on the location and specifics of the job.
Shift hours, usual overtime, experience and qualifications necessary, job requirements, whether any high risk daily elements are usually involved.

Udemy trained junior bomb disposal technician on zero hour contract, in Liverpool. Doing mostly nights. What's the number?
Original post by ElderlyMedic
Udemy trained junior bomb disposal technician on zero hour contract, in Liverpool. Doing mostly nights. What's the number?

If I meet one I'll ask. :biggrin:
About what consititutes a good salary and the minimum acceptable life insurance policy value.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending