The Student Room Group

nursing students

HI!
does anyone know if we get any bursaries, awards, grants etc.. as a nursing student that I need to apply for?
Original post by lorena12
HI!
does anyone know if we get any bursaries, awards, grants etc.. as a nursing student that I need to apply for?

depends where you are in the uk, as there are different things you can apply for based on where you are
Reply 2
Original post by moonkatt
depends where you are in the uk, as there are different things you can apply for based on where you are

ohh okay, I'm going to Birmingham city university.

I'm not very well versed in what they give students in England any more but there's some information here: https://www.healthcareers.nhs.uk/career-planning/study-and-training/considering-or-university/financial-support-university

When do you start? It was called UCE when I studied there.
Reply 4
I'm not very well versed in what they give students in England any more but there's some information here: https://www.healthcareers.nhs.uk/career-planning/study-and-training/considering-or-university/financial-support-university

When do you start? It was called UCE when I studied there.

i start in 2022
i start in 2022

Are you looking forwards to it? What branch of nursing are you going to be studying?
Reply 6
Are you looking forwards to it? What branch of nursing are you going to be studying?

yes, I am, I've always wanted to become a doctor but my grades were not good enough so I decided to do nursing I'm very happy and panicky, but I'm also scared cause I've heard some crazy scarring things about nursing from nursing students, i even wanted to do something else instead.
I'm studying nursing children, I wanted to do both children and adult since I didn't get to become a doc but my tutor kept making me make amendments to my statement so I was late(places for that course were all full/they weren't accepting more students), she kept telling me off - English isn't my first language either but she neglected that fact. so I ended doing child. I still wanna do nursing adult or become a doctor but idk how to get there, so, for now, I'm just focusing on my current one.
yes, I am, I've always wanted to become a doctor but my grades were not good enough so I decided to do nursing I'm very happy and panicky, but I'm also scared cause I've heard some crazy scarring things about nursing from nursing students, i even wanted to do something else instead.
I'm studying nursing children, I wanted to do both children and adult since I didn't get to become a doc but my tutor kept making me make amendments to my statement so I was late(places for that course were all full/they weren't accepting more students), she kept telling me off - English isn't my first language either but she neglected that fact. so I ended doing child. I still wanna do nursing adult or become a doctor but idk how to get there, so, for now, I'm just focusing on my current one.

Everyone loves to share horror stories of extreme examples from placement, yes there are rubbish times, but there's also awesome things to experience as a student nurse. BCU is well placed for studying children's nursing as you've a huge variety of placements, particularly with the children's hospital in the city centre. I'm sure you'll enjoy yourself there :smile:
Reply 8
Everyone loves to share horror stories of extreme examples from placement, yes there are rubbish times, but there's also awesome things to experience as a student nurse. BCU is well placed for studying children's nursing as you've a huge variety of placements, particularly with the children's hospital in the city centre. I'm sure you'll enjoy yourself there :smile:

i hope so, thank you .

Hi does that mean you have a offer rn for child nursing in bcu?
Reply 10
funding depends on your home county. dont worry those stories are just that.
HI!

Hi @lorena12
I replied to a thread a couple weeks ago on the Official Nursing Applicants 2022 page about the same thing so I've just copied in what wrote then!
I hope this clears it up a bit for you!

Currently the system in place in England for student nurses are as follows:
- We get a £5000 Training grant each year, this is applied for through the NHS Learning Support Fund and is completely separate application to student finance so make sure you get this in, but you can only apply for this once your student finance application has been approved!
The payments for this are in November - March/April - July, this is so that it alternates to student finance payments.

- TDAE - Travel Reimbursements - this is for when you are on placement and incur travel/accommodation costs, you have to pay upfront first (which is worth remembering as it can soon stack up if one of your placements is a bit of a trek!) At my Uni you apply through your student office, using a form found on NHS Learning Support Fund page and attach all your evidence, so always keep all your travel receipts! It can take a few weeks before you are reimbursed, but you will eventually get payment if you have all the correct forms and evidence.

- Student Finance - Maintenance Loan and Tuition Fees - this unfortunately is the same as every other course, so the government will loan you the money needed for tuition fees which you will never see as it goes directly to the Uni at the start of each term and you will need to apply for this.
And then the maintenance loan is based off your household income, so this can vary from the minimum which is around £3000 to £10,000, this is supposed to help you cover living and accommodation costs, however if your household income earn highly then the government, essentially expect your income earners to support a lot of your living costs! It is a crazy system, but unfortunately what we are dealing with currently!
You will eventually pay these loans back once you are working and earning over a certain threshold, but do not worry about this as many people will never pay their loans off as so little is taken from each pay check.

I am a current Student Children's Nurse at Uni of Southampton, so ask away if you have any further questions!

Carina - University of Southampton Ambassador
(Student Children's Nurse)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending