The Student Room Group

Part time work in MsC

Hey yall, was wondering if anyone did part time work during their MsC? How was the experience like? Was it difficult to manage time for work and studying? Ill be taking MsC in Mechanical Engineering and am planning to do part time work to have more income. Thanks in advance!
I am just about to finish my MSc degree, however mine was a bit different.

I am currently working full time and studying part time. This was a bit of a task but was definitely possible with perseverance so I don't see why not it wouldn't work the other way around - with a full time course and part time work!
Thanks for the input, I hope it will work well for me too
Original post by SteelSeriesR3W
Hey yall, was wondering if anyone did part time work during their MsC? How was the experience like? Was it difficult to manage time for work and studying? Ill be taking MsC in Mechanical Engineering and am planning to do part time work to have more income. Thanks in advance!

Hey @SteelSeriesR3W!

Great question. It is possible to do part-time work during an MSc, in fact, that's exactly what I'm doing currently. The University of Kent offers many different roles designed for students to help earn some income during their studies. It's handy because the roles range from 4-16 hours a week, and you can do multiple at once - as long as you have the time. I would recommend contacting your University just before, and once you begin, your degree and discuss what student opportunities they have to offer.

Best of luck,
Nathan
UKC Rep

it possible to manage time for work and studying go for it

This is definitely possible, and many students at Cranfield do this successfully!

It's both a way to support yourself during your degree and also demonstrate to future employers your commitment, ability to multitask, prioritise, and be organised.

I would encourage you to speak to past students on the course before you begin, and your course director. Many courses have busy periods and more flexible ones, so if you are looking for a job, they can advise when classes will be the most intense. For example, some people find mid-week is not feasible for them working, and stick to weekends. Others choose online options, meaning they can tutor someone or do data-entry type roles from home.
They can also recommend employers you may not necessarily have known about in the area. For example, Cranfield is close to some warehouses (for e.g. Amazon) who hire many weekend workers, which is not a typical student job.
Also, looking for jobs on-campus can save you time in commuting. In Cranfield there is a CSA shop, bar, and café that regularly recruit students to work in their off-hours.

I would definitely recommend using a calendar to keep track of everything. I prefer one that I can do detailed organisation on my laptop, and then it also syncs with my phone. For that, Teams is perfect, but there’s so many options. I colour-code so that I can have a visual cue if I am getting unbalanced (e.g. if I have work as yellow, study as blue, and my free time as green, and I see a very ‘blue’ week coming up, I let my boss know that I won’t be able to work that week in advance).

Speaking of free time, remember that just because you’re working and studying, doesn’t mean you don’t get free time. It’s vital for preventing burnout!

Also, you should be able to communicate with someone in both your work and study environment about your obligations, priorities, and needs. On more occasions that I can count, I have sat down with my supervisors and showed a list of my current activities, asking “What’s the best thing for me to prioritise?”. The staff at Cranfield have always really supported me in prioritising, organising, and timing my work, and getting support from others when I have too much on my plate. This also includes taking the time I needed for myself, to travel back home and see family, or take some time off just for a break. I also was always supported in any extracurriculars, in applications for opportunities that would build my CV, and which would give me the best return on my time. So at least in my experience, the support and advice of my academic supervisors was always vital!

I hope this helps, and best of luck to everyone applying for jobs and MSc courses!
Ciara
2nd year Agrifood PhD student
Cranfield Student Ambassador
Original post by University of Kent Reps
Hey @SteelSeriesR3W!

Great question. It is possible to do part-time work during an MSc, in fact, that's exactly what I'm doing currently. The University of Kent offers many different roles designed for students to help earn some income during their studies. It's handy because the roles range from 4-16 hours a week, and you can do multiple at once - as long as you have the time. I would recommend contacting your University just before, and once you begin, your degree and discuss what student opportunities they have to offer.

Best of luck,
Nathan
UKC Rep

can you give us some examples?

if someone wants to work in the UK and have a plus on his cv with CPD what are some good courses ?
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending