The Student Room Group

can I use clearing even if I am a uni student

so basically, I'm feeling a bit wobbly about my course. I'm not sure if it's for me or it's a fleeting feeling, but I'd still like to be as informed as possible. Basically, if I wanted to change courses at the end of the year would I still be able to go through clearing even though I'm already a uni student?
Yes you can, but remember that Clearing is usually only for the courses/subjects that no-one else wants - ie lower Unis or obscure subjects.

You will have far more choice if you make a conventional application before the Jan deadline - and you will have time to actually visit those places before you have to accept an offer - there wont be time for that in August.
Also to add that they'll be lots of courses available even after Jan 26th but before Clearing. Clearing will be a bit manic and it will be difficult to assess whether you are 'trading up'.
Anyone with a ucas application and no place can use clearing.
So as everyone says above - if you want to use clearing then apply now.
Reply 4
Original post by McGinger
Yes you can, but remember that Clearing is usually only for the courses/subjects that no-one else wants - ie lower Unis or obscure subjects.

You will have far more choice if you make a conventional application before the Jan deadline - and you will have time to actually visit those places before you have to accept an offer - there wont be time for that in August.

That’s was my thought process but I’m still not sure that’s what I want and I don’t want to make permanent changes on a feeling that might be temporary. If there was a way I could apply though UCAS, but still hold my current place in uni I would but I don’t think that’s possible?
Original post by 3lys3o
That’s was my thought process but I’m still not sure that’s what I want and I don’t want to make permanent changes on a feeling that might be temporary. If there was a way I could apply though UCAS, but still hold my current place in uni I would but I don’t think that’s possible?

Applying through UCAS doesn't affect your current place on your course.

You can let your tutor know that you're applying elsewhere to give you other options but make it clear that you aren't sure what you want to do yet.
Reply 6
Original post by Admit-One
Also to add that they'll be lots of courses available even after Jan 26th but before Clearing. Clearing will be a bit manic and it will be difficult to assess whether you are 'trading up'.

sorry, I don't think I understand what you mean courses available after the deadline? Am I still able to apply for them even after the deadline?
Reply 7
Original post by PQ
Applying through UCAS doesn't affect your current place on your course.

You can let your tutor know that you're applying elsewhere to give you other options but make it clear that you aren't sure what you want to do yet.

I'm a bit lost on how to do this, I have a UCAS account now, but because im already enrolled as a student how do I apply for other courses or do I have to make a new UCAS account?
Original post by 3lys3o
sorry, I don't think I understand what you mean courses available after the deadline? Am I still able to apply for them even after the deadline?

26th of jan is the deadline for guaranteed consideration. After that date, courses may close, or unis may elect to use different assessment methods to fill the remaining slots. Up till that date, everyone is considered equally, no matter when they applied.

After 26th jan, in reality a great many courses are still available to normal applications right up until 30th June. Of course there are no guarantees that the course you will want to do will be available after Jan 26th, but in a normal year only the most popular courses close straight away.

So there is a period of a few months before clearing starts where you can submit a normal application. I'd suggest it's better to do that than try and get potentially a big change sorted during the clearing period, (as McGinger notes, you'll have less time to research your choices, and any offers may be time sensitive).
Original post by 3lys3o
I'm a bit lost on how to do this, I have a UCAS account now, but because im already enrolled as a student how do I apply for other courses or do I have to make a new UCAS account?

If you can still log into UCAS, you should just be able to pay the app assessment fee and submit up to 5 choices again. If you can't log in, it's not a bother, you can make a new account and UCAS will match your details to your old app and you'll be using your original PID once more at some stage.

If you're logged in and still struggling, just give UCAS a call.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending