The Student Room Group

Summer Pool Cambridge 2022

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Prettymum
As always, your answer is always so helpful. may I ask what the situation is in the case of law ? were there many people missing the grades in the past?

That's a tricky question to answer, I'm afraid. I don't know how many Law offer holders overall missed their offers. Crucially, there won't be the same sort of 'quota' for Law that there is for Medicine, so lots of people missing their offers doesn't necessarily mean that those spaces have to be filled via Adjustment - they may not be filled at all.
@Peterhouse Admissions

Hi, I wanted to ask if you think there is any reason to believe that there will be less places available for medicine in the August Reconsideration Pool this year. Because Universities have been asked to only give out as many offers as spaces, I was thinking that the people who have been made an offer at Cambridge will be less likely to accept one from elsewhere as it is much more competitive to receive one in the first place. As a result, there may be more people firming their offers from Cambridge and so less spaces will be available in the ARP.
Original post by Manraj Lasher
@Peterhouse Admissions

Hi, I wanted to ask if you think there is any reason to believe that there will be less places available for medicine in the August Reconsideration Pool this year. Because Universities have been asked to only give out as many offers as spaces, I was thinking that the people who have been made an offer at Cambridge will be less likely to accept one from elsewhere as it is much more competitive to receive one in the first place. As a result, there may be more people firming their offers from Cambridge and so less spaces will be available in the ARP.

Hi there!

I think you're probably overthinking this a bit. Most places in Adjustment/the ARP arise because offer holders have missed their offer conditions. We can't predict how likely that will be this year because there are exams. I know it's easy for me to say, but I'd try not to worry about it at this stage and focus instead on what you can control: being as competitive for those places as you can by getting the best grades you can.
@Peterhouse Admissions I have been offered a place for 2023 even though I applied for 2022. Do you think I could ask my college if I can be entered into the reconsideration pool for a 2022 offer and still keep my 2023 offer if unsuccessful?
Original post by E.studentt
@Peterhouse Admissions I have been offered a place for 2023 even though I applied for 2022. Do you think I could ask my college if I can be entered into the reconsideration pool for a 2022 offer and still keep my 2023 offer if unsuccessful?

Hi there!

This may depend on why your college has given you an offer for 2023. I know that we have made several offers for next year because of the age of the offer holder: they would be substantially under 18 in October 2022, so we have made them an offer for 2023 instead. In this sort of case, it is unlikely that a request for reconsideration would be granted. If age was not the reason, then you could ask your college if you could be reconsidered for 2022 if you meet your offer. If you explain your reasons, they may well have some sympathy for this. I know of cases where such a request has been granted and the student did indeed come to Cambridge in the year they requested because other offer holders in that year missed their offer.

Crucially, there's no harm in asking: the worst they can say is no, and then you'll be in the same position you are now. They can't take your offer away or anything like that, so you would be welcome to ask.

Hope this helps!
Reply 25
Original post by E.studentt

@E.studentt Have you checked with your college yet, do you mind sharing the outcome? Thanks!
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Peterhouse Admissions
Just to clarify, the Summer Pool and August Reconsideration Pool are slightly different. The Summer Pool is for offer holders who have not met the conditions set for them, whereas the August Reconsideration Pool is for applicants who have been rejected in January but meet certain widening participation criteria and go on to meet or exceed the typical offer for their course. You're not automatically entered in the August Reconsideration Pool - you have to put yourself forward in August if you are eligible and get the grades.

Crucially, the August Reconsideration Pool is what used to be called Adjustment. Any statistics you find for Adjustment at Cambridge are likely to be more applicable to your situation than statistics about the Summer Pool. Hope this helps!

what is the widening participation criteria?
Original post by cersef
what is the widening participation criteria?

They're right here :smile:
They're right here :smile:

thank you!
@Peterhouse AdmissionsSorry but do Summer pool also works for International students who didn't do A Level but the equivalent? And will they be disadvantaged?
I am applying to Computer Science, so will a high TMUA score give me a higher probability? (8.6 in 2022 TMUA)
Typical offer for Chinese students is to get top 0.1% in our province and that's insane. (A* rate is about 15%-30% in typical science subject and even 40% for some subject.) And we test 6 subjects......
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by HARIMOTO2005
@Peterhouse AdmissionsSorry but do Summer pool also works for International students who didn't do A Level but the equivalent? And will they be disadvantaged?
I am applying to Computer Science, so will a high TMUA score give me a higher probability? (8.6 in 2022 TMUA)
Typical offer for Chinese students is to get top 0.1% in our province and that's insane. (A* rate is about 15%-30% in typical science subject and even 40% for some subject.) And we test 6 subjects......

Hi there!

Applicants from anywhere that have missed their offer can be put in the Summer Pool by their college at the college's discretion. Normally only those who are a near miss would be included. All parts of your application would be looked at again by other colleges. It's still possible that if you were put in the Summer Pool, you might not be taken out by another college.
@Peterhouse Admissions if you're eligible for the August Reconsideration Pool and you apply for it, will just your actual A-Level grades be take into account, or will the rest of your application(GCSE grades, personal statement, etc) be re-evaluated alongside your actual A-Level grades?
Original post by Avedo123
@Peterhouse Admissions if you're eligible for the August Reconsideration Pool and you apply for it, will just your actual A-Level grades be take into account, or will the rest of your application(GCSE grades, personal statement, etc) be re-evaluated alongside your actual A-Level grades?

Hi there!

Your whole application will be taken into account alongside your achieved A Level grades :smile:
Hi there!

Your whole application will be taken into account alongside your achieved A Level grades :smile:

Thank you!
If you're eligible for the August Reconsideration Pool, will just your actual A-Level grades be taken into account, or will the rest of your application(GCSE grades, personal statement, etc) be re-evaluated alongside your A-Level grades?
Hi there!

@Peterhouse Admissions does this include predicted grades? Say for example, my predicted grades were A*A*AA but I achieved 4 A*s in my actual exams. Ignoring all other factors, would someone who achieved the same in the actual A-Level but was also predicted 4 A*s be more likely to get in?
@Peterhouse Admissions does this include predicted grades? Say for example, my predicted grades were A*A*AA but I achieved 4 A*s in my actual exams. Ignoring all other factors, would someone who achieved the same in the actual A-Level but was also predicted 4 A*s be more likely to get in?

Hi there!

Once you've taken your A Levels and been given your results, we no longer consider your predicted grades because we have the actual grades you achieved to replace them. So an applicant who was predicted 4 A*s is no more likely to be made an offer than an applicant who was predicted A*A*AA. Equally, we don't compare predicted and achieved grades to see how people did compared to their teacher's predictions.

Hi there!

Applicants from anywhere that have missed their offer can be put in the Summer Pool by their college at the college's discretion. Normally only those who are a near miss would be included. All parts of your application would be looked at again by other colleges. It's still possible that if you were put in the Summer Pool, you might not be taken out by another college.

Since only “near miss” applicants will be taken into account, will Cambridge also receive your exact scores in your A-Levels to determine whether a candidate is “near miss”? Will the exact scores be taken into account to differentiate candidates in the August Pool with similar grades to each other?
@Peterhouse Admissions I checked on the Cambridge website and for the 2022 cycle for Computer Science, only 1 applicant was admitted through the Summer Pool(missed offer and August Reconsideration Pool combined). However, apparently Computer Science was not an available course for the August Pool for the 2022 cycle. Does this mean that candidates who were initially offered a place in January but failed to meet their offer are prioritised over August Pool candidates who didn’t get an offer in January, even if the August Pool candidates receive better actual A-Levels than the ones who did get an offer in January?
Since only “near miss” applicants will be taken into account, will Cambridge also receive your exact scores in your A-Levels to determine whether a candidate is “near miss”? Will the exact scores be taken into account to differentiate candidates in the August Pool with similar grades to each other?

Hi there!

In terms of 'near misses' (who are offer holders who don't quite meet the conditions of their offers), we only receive grades when we get A Level results in August. We might ask for marks when you receive them, but in some cases we will make the decision on grades alone. For example, someone could be a near miss if they exceeded the typical offer, but missed the grades specified. If they were asked to get A*AA with an A* in English, but actually achieved A*AA but the A was in English, they would technically have missed their offer. We might choose to reprieve them or we might choose to put them in the Summer Pool. If we did the latter, we might request their marks, or we might not. We don't receive marks from the exam boards, though.

We also wouldn't differentiate between applicants in the August Reconsideration Pool by marks. We will look at overall grades achieved, the subjects those grades have been achieved in and how the applicant did in things like Admissions Assessments and interviews.

Hope this helps!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending