The Student Room Group

Official Thread: Graduate Entry Dentistry 2023 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Desperateteeth
Your actually stressing me out, your the only person on student room saying this. We need proof lol

LOL, can you imagine me faking this ahhaha. I remembered at the start of this thread someone had messaged saying to update as I had very similar stats so I replied to them directly, I made a long ass post saying do I have a chance where should I apply so once I remembered I felt obliged to update them! Also you can message me on insta and I’ll send u a screenshot of my offer email! @ya.ass.mine ❤️❤️❤️
Original post by WhatdoIDO2023
LOL, can you imagine me faking this ahhaha. I remembered at the start of this thread someone had messaged saying to update as I had very similar stats so I replied to them directly, I made a long ass post saying do I have a chance where should I apply so once I remembered I felt obliged to update them! Also you can message me on insta and I’ll send u a screenshot of my offer email! @ya.ass.mine ❤️❤️❤️

Im gonna dm you rn😭❤️
Original post by reenyyy190303
Hi I wanted to ask if you got into dentistry? Kings college do not take account of A levels as long as your biomedical science degree covered all the sciences needed for the dentistry degree. QMUL, also doesn’t take into account a levels, you could check using their title degree checker to get onto the graduate course to see which degrees apply. I believe this only applies when you get a 2:1 in your degree, however be sure to double check. For the loans for undergraduate dentistry you will not be eligible for the tuition loan consisting of £9,250 yearly however maybe maintenance loans for the graduate entry however for the first year I believe SFE pay some and you have to pay the rest your self. Also from years 2-4 you will be funded by the nhs for bursaries, tuition fee and other eligible loans, which I don’t think you need to pay back. Please do let me know how it goes for you as I myself am planning to hopefully do dentistry graduate degree.

Hey! do KCL take into account GCSE's for postgrad? you said they dont look at alevels so im thinking they dont look at gcses either right?
Original post by Iman Al Zaeim
Hey! do KCL take into account GCSE's for postgrad? you said they dont look at alevels so im thinking they dont look at gcses either right?

Double check on their website, but I believe they only take your degree into consideration.
Original post by WhatdoIDO2023
Double check on their website, but I believe they only take your degree into consideration.

This is true, if your degree has a significant amount of bio and chem they don’t take into account previous academics as much, especially post interview
When do you think King’s grad offers will be out by, the wait is horrible
Original post by IP2022
It seems as though only one person on the thread has received an offer for grad entry which sounds odd. Surely, there would be more? Has anyone else received a grad offer?

Hi, I’ve also received an offer for kcl x (im the person the other person was referring to!)

i did my interview in feb, and got my offer early march :smile: let me know if you have any questions!
Reply 87
First of all congrats!!! do you know of anyone else? also are you home or international? and lastly, when was your interview in February, what date?
Original post by didixoxo
Hi, I’ve also received an offer for kcl x (im the person the other person was referring to!)

i did my interview in feb, and got my offer early march :smile: let me know if you have any questions!
Original post by lewp29
First of all congrats!!! do you know of anyone else? also are you home or international? and lastly, when was your interview in February, what date?

These questions are perfect looool!
I've now found myself in a really difficult situation and I really don't know what to do. I'm a doctor hoping to become an Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon. (In order to progress, you must both have both a medical and dental degree). I told my place of work in London last September that I was planning to do this and they have been fully supportive of me doing this and have offered to keep me on part-time and remain flexible so that I do a few evening sessions in the week in order to finance my studies and maintain my upkeep. The pay is also really good, but the job is super niche.

I applied to University of Central Lancashire and I received an offer for Graduate 4-year Dentistry from them. I also applied to the 3-year Dental Program for Medical Graduates at King's College London (which I later found out is disproportionately competitive) and was later rejected...(perhaps I should have done UCAT but that's by and by)

The issue I find myself in now given I am also trying to buy house, if I go to Preston I will probably have to give up my job (and all the flexibility that comes with it). King's have said that I could claim a place if someone drops out before August but that this is highly unlikely to happen. I'm trying to explore the possibility of commuting during the week, deferring for a year and even re-applying til I've save up (but I'm saving up for mortgage, plus repayments, tuition fees and my maintenance, which is a lot. I've also applied to Trinity College Dublin as I could potentially find a similar job in Dublin but TCD have rather unceremoniously told be I could be waiting til end of summer before I get an answer despite having submitted my application in January 2023, and also having told them that I kinda need to know so I can hand in my notice, deal with the expense of potentially relocating to Ireland, getting an Irish Medical Licence and finding a job. I have an unconditional offer from University of Zagreb but this is like 5/6 (which might be reduced I'm told) but it's €10000+/year and by far the most expensive option.

The last few days have been super draining and I can't quite believe that I might not be able to go to dental school without compromising on my financial stability or the speed with which I complete it. Any suggestions?
Original post by eion tusk
You don't seem too keen on going to Lancashire, id suggest you give it a good think, offers dont come by easy, maybe hold up on getting mortgage for time being, or Mayb ask if you could defer offer, if not just ride out till May, till ucas deadline to have more time to think.
There aren't many grad entry dent options, if your thinking of reapplying and want london, might be shout to go for both 3 year and 4 year KCL dent courses but you will need to do UCAT. Also bear in mind KCL admissions do like to take their time, keeping you waiting till potentially May of next year if not longer so uncertainty will remain.

I've applied for both med and dent this year, have heard back from all the med schools (and fortunately recieved some offers), but still waiting for KCL 4 year dent post interview outcome, and will potentially be waiting till May. If you've got nothing to loose from waiting then give reapplying a shot, but at the same time appreciate that fact that a spot is still not guranteed.

Med has a lot of specialties in it, have u considered other specialties maybe? You've been through med school so you don't need me asking you.

Regarding financial stability i believe there is nhs bursary we can get in grad entry med/dent from our second year onwards that might help a little with regards to tuition fees.

Idk, man hope my rambling helps in some way, I my self am conflicted between med and dent, but personally feel more compatible with dent. But at end of day either will be means to an end for further goals. I would be interested on your advice too, and anyone elses.

Your a legend for getting offers for both med and dent in the same cycle! How did you do it? Which unis have you heard back from? And which course are you leaning more towards med or dent?
It's not really a case of "wanting" anything. I can really only go to Lancashire if I have the money to sustain me. I'm a doctor but my job is niche and usually given to GPs. If I'm in London I keep my job no hassle. If I leave it's a problem. I am from a trauma and orthopaedics background but I left that I left that 3 yrs ago in favour of wanting to do OMFS, which I also work in, part-time. I can potentially get validated as a GP, which will allow me to work evenings, as I have all the competencies but it takes a year to do and costs ~£2000. I It is difficult to get flexible evening shifts in hospital because the expectation is that you are there from 8am - 5pm, 8am - 8pm or you are on the night shift. Therefore, I will likely have to take a year out to sort this out.
Original post by Desperateteeth
Your a legend for getting offers for both med and dent in the same cycle! How did you do it? Which unis have you heard back from? And which course are you leaning more towards med or dent?
Original post by eion tusk
Would locuming be an option? There maybe options in the Lancashire area that need locum

Most locum shifts in hospital require you to work 8am-5pm(8pm) or 8pm-8am, so it's not really viable except at weekends. Even if I say can work weekends. It is not a sustainable means of income working every weekend on top of my course. In any instance, if you're doing regular work most trusts prefer you to do regular work.
probably just take a year out then to earn more money? or get a job on campu and apply for bursary

(Original post by OMFS_BoneSetter)Most locum shifts in hospital require you to work 8am-5pm(8pm) or 8pm-8am, so it's not really viable except at weekends. Even if I say can work weekends. It is not a sustainable means of income working every weekend on top of my course. In any instance, if you're doing regular work most trusts prefer you to do regular work.
Original post by lewp29

sorry for the delayed response! i only know of one other person who is also on this thread ^^ (just to clarify we both have received offers for GPEP dentistry). im a home student and my interview date was 3rd feb x
has anyone’s last updated date changed on kings apply?
Reply 96
Hello All
Other than the 2 people on this thread, have there been any other offers for graduate entry dentistry?
Has anyone messaged them on Kings Apply to find out more about the number of offers left to send out? I personally messaged them mid-March they responded saying 'Some but not all offers for grad entry have been given out and as interviews were still taking place offers were going on a rolling basis' - I feel its too soon for me to message them again lol
has everyone’s last changed date updated
Just sent another message on kings apply to ask if theres anymore grad offers left to send out, will update you guys with the response🥲

Quick Reply

Latest