The Student Room Group

1st class physiotherapy essays

In uni how do you get a 1st in physió essays../academic writing?

Does anyone have any examples they'd like to share? xx
Original post by Anonymous

HI!

I'm sorry I don't study this course.
However, I found it really helpful to go and seek advice from the academic writing support staff at my uni. They were really good in helping me plan essays and gave good tips. Some I always follow are...
- organise your plan in a table and then as you research just add to the table in what point the source would support
- multiple cite for one piece of information ie in APA (Ball, 2021; Ross, 2019; Smith, 2021), rather than just one ie (Smith, 2021).
- always be critical and provide an alternative suggestion
- at the end of each point/paragraph link back to the question
- link your paragraphs, so they flow nicely. The last sentence of one should lead to another point.
- most lecturers would say for every 100 words you should reference once.
- use academic sources, such as journal articles, which should be dated fairly recently

I hope this helps!
Best wishes
Chloe - Official Student Rep :smile:

Never make a point / opinion without a reference to show where you got it from. next, find an apposing point. then offer a reason (using the literature to suggest why they differ. First year undergrad are marked at Level 4, read on what is required. Every year the level goes up and for example an 80% in 1st year wouldn't be in 2nd and less in 3rd. Im currently 1st year MSc Physio and you HAVE to critique absolutely everything you do in depth. Learn to critique now, as you will need it as you go on no matter your course.
Reply 3
Original post by anonymous789123
Never make a point / opinion without a reference to show where you got it from. next, find an apposing point. then offer a reason (using the literature to suggest why they differ. First year undergrad are marked at Level 4, read on what is required. Every year the level goes up and for example an 80% in 1st year wouldn't be in 2nd and less in 3rd. Im currently 1st year MSc Physio and you HAVE to critique absolutely everything you do in depth. Learn to critique now, as you will need it as you go on no matter your course.

Hiya this sounds great, currently on the BSc course just starting out. How do you critically analyse oppsing views while maintaining a balanced argument in order to achieve a fair conclusion? and how do you actually critique in-depth?

Best of luck with your MSc course:smile::smile:
Hi, to critique in depth and make a balanced argument, what you want to do is for each argument/claim you want to make you essentially need to make point, a counterpoint and then a third point which either strengthens the first point (to show that the first point is more substantiated which is why you agree with it) or discredits the second point (this shows you have done your research and been critical of both points before making your stance) - works either way. So, state what you think by using evidence from someone else's research, then find differing research/a different theory, one that could argue against what you first said, then find research either discrediting this second person or one in further support of the first person, saying this is why that is actually the stronger theory. Use evidence to back up every point you make, and instead of trying to pack everything into your essay choose a few main points to focus on - this will allow you to be thorough in critical analysis.

This site provides some helpful advice to better academic writing: https://libguides.shu.ac.uk/academicwriting and this provides some simple resources: https://libguides.shu.ac.uk/c.php?g=673603&p=4829958 . For essay and paragraph structure this is a good website: https://canvas.hull.ac.uk/courses/778/pages/paragraph-structure . Your university may have skills sessions around understanding Learning outcomes (LO's) and academic/critical writing, and if they do then you should attend them. I have and they are very helpful.

Other advice to getting a first is to stick to your LO's as this is what the marker will be marking against. Aim for the 70+ outcome, if you try and do your essay according to the 70+ LO then you're likely to at least get a 2:1. Also, work on feedback your marker has given you for previous work - if you discover your weak points you can take action to fix them, which will make your next essay even better. You can ask the marker for a meeting as well if the feedback they have given you wasn't enough, where they can provide detailed advice on how to improve your essays and reach that top mark.

I hope you find this helpful, best of luck in writing your essay :smile:

- Rosie
Hiya this sounds great, currently on the BSc course just starting out. How do you critically analyse oppsing views while maintaining a balanced argument in order to achieve a fair conclusion? and how do you actually critique in-depth?

Best of luck with your MSc course:smile::smile:

Critique basically means you discussing the relevance of a paper and how relatable to your situation. Also have a read on the 'Heirachy of evidence' . Basically you want to show the reader you understand the limitations of research. Its tough and takes practice. for example, a study involving Just the elderly that discusses the importance of communication in Physiotherapy has limitations because the participants are from only the elderly population and not involving the young, middle age etc. highlight that, and try to find other populations that can balance this out. If you can't, say that in your writing and offer a reason.

You don't always need a balanced argument, sometimes the evidence is overwhelmingly one sided, But try and offer a reason for that, from what similarities in the papers/studies/conclusions. if you find opposite results, show them, and again pick out why they may differ.

Don't go to hard in first year. you will pick this up as you go. And take on board feedback from tutors :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending