The Student Room Group

Anyone started medicine later at 24+ ?

How is it ? Was rejected this year and am planning to apply for the last time next year. Main worries is about being older and the delay in earning. Anyone experience it ?
Every time I see these threads I feel like a nonagenarian. :tongue:

I start in September. I'll be 35 when I start, 39 when I step onto the wards as an FY1 (hopefully). Whether or not a career change is worth the lost earnings is something only you can decide, but in my case, it feels like a reasonable trade-off for the chance to do a job that unites all my interests and contains so much variety.
I'm not sure how to quote a part of your post so apologies if I have done it incorrectly. In regards to working part-time while studying is it recommended to avoid it at all costs? In one of my interviews, I asked one of the current students at the university about it and he said he'd recommend avoiding it if you can. I work in a pharmacy on a Saturday, have 2 offers for medicine so far, and I'd really like to continue my work as it gives me a lot of experience in history taking, diagnosing, and communication with patients. I also get to ask the pharmacists questions regarding medications when they have time. However, I don't want to overwhelm myself while at university and have my studies sacrificed. Also, I apologise if it is better to start my own thread about this!

To OP- I will be 24 when I start medicine! I wouldn't worry about being older at all. I've been in classes with people of all sorts of ages and it's never stood out as an issue. (: Good luck
Original post by ReadandBench
How is it ? Was rejected this year and am planning to apply for the last time next year. Main worries is about being older and the delay in earning. Anyone experience it ?

I started GEM at age 22 and was one of the youngest in the year. Relatively few students proceeded directly from finishing their degree at age 21 to starting a GEM a couple of months later. 24 is certainly not too old, don't worry.
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending