The Student Room Group

is it too late to have decided that medicine is for me?

Hello,

I'm currently in Y11. For most of my life, I have only really considered a future working as a lawyer (mainly because I was told by teachers etc that I would make a strong candidate)

However, recently (especially after spending long amounts of time in the hospital after a relative was there) I've been more and more drawn to a career in medicine.

I've always had an equal interest in the sciences and humanities, (and I am predicted 9s in both respectively) but I've kind of just not considered going down the science route because as aforementioned, I've always been told I'd be a good lawyer.

Now, obviously, medicine is a very competitive course, and so this is not a decision to be taken lightly. I know I'll have to smash my BMAT/UCAT, get amazing grades, do well in interviews and write a strong personal statement, as well as getting work experience and having good extra-curriculars. But, I go to a grammar school, and we had 40 people get medicine offers last year and, this sounds really cocky, but I think I could get into medical school if I tried, especially because my school clearly knows what they're doing, and I don't think my grades/academic ability will be a problem. And most importantly, I have a genuine interest in science, I like talking to people, I work well under pressure!

I originally chose a-levels in Chemistry, French, History and English so my main questions now are - should I drop French and/or English for Biology so I can apply to medicine in the future? Or is it too late (most of my aspiring medic friends have wanted to be doctors since Y7) to have decided that medicine is for me? Is there any way other than medical work experience (which I've already applied for) to discern if I'd really be suited for medicine? Did you decide on medicine late too?

Any advice is appreciated, I've gone back and forth with my teachers, parents and friends and I think they're all sick of me talking about it! And I just want to stress, there is no external pressure for me to study medicine. This is something I just started considering independently. Oh, and my predicted grades are 9 9s and 2 8s.

Thanks in advance.
I decided that medicine was for me at 33-ish. I'll be 35 when I start. People choose or change their careers at all sorts of ages and you don't need to know exactly what you want to do in Year 10.

The one thing in your post that does make me hesitate is the reference to law. A lot of prospective applicants on here seem to think their choice is between medicine and law, or sometimes between medicine and engineering. Presumably this is because they have been exposed to very few other options and see these as the default 'good' jobs. I'd try to get some relevant volunteering or work experience to help make up your mind.
Original post by lwbch14
Hello,

I'm currently in Y11. For most of my life, I have only really considered a future working as a lawyer (mainly because I was told by teachers etc that I would make a strong candidate)

However, recently (especially after spending long amounts of time in the hospital after a relative was there) I've been more and more drawn to a career in medicine.

I've always had an equal interest in the sciences and humanities, (and I am predicted 9s in both respectively) but I've kind of just not considered going down the science route because as aforementioned, I've always been told I'd be a good lawyer.

Now, obviously, medicine is a very competitive course, and so this is not a decision to be taken lightly. I know I'll have to smash my BMAT/UCAT, get amazing grades, do well in interviews and write a strong personal statement, as well as getting work experience and having good extra-curriculars. But, I go to a grammar school, and we had 40 people get medicine offers last year and, this sounds really cocky, but I think I could get into medical school if I tried, especially because my school clearly knows what they're doing, and I don't think my grades/academic ability will be a problem. And most importantly, I have a genuine interest in science, I like talking to people, I work well under pressure!

I originally chose a-levels in Chemistry, French, History and English so my main questions now are - should I drop French and/or English for Biology so I can apply to medicine in the future? Or is it too late (most of my aspiring medic friends have wanted to be doctors since Y7) to have decided that medicine is for me? Is there any way other than medical work experience (which I've already applied for) to discern if I'd really be suited for medicine? Did you decide on medicine late too?

Any advice is appreciated, I've gone back and forth with my teachers, parents and friends and I think they're all sick of me talking about it! And I just want to stress, there is no external pressure for me to study medicine. This is something I just started considering independently. Oh, and my predicted grades are 9 9s and 2 8s.

Thanks in advance.

Law does not have any subject requirements. You could do biology, chemistry and another A-level of your choice to keep medicine and law open for you. At the moment, try to get work experience to see whether medicine is for you.
As all the above-never too late. Some great advice in the above which I won't repeat but whatever route you do go down you can always change it. This goes for anything, not just medicine

Just to add: if you want to study law at uni you don't need any specific a-levels, as long as you have good a levels and a good personal statement. You can always decide later on down the line and what I would add too is in your first year of sixth form studying your courses in much greater depth than GCSE allows, you will quickly learn your interests
(edited 2 years ago)
You don't need to do an EPQ, but it can lower your offer to AAB at some unis ( like sheffield ) if you have an A or A*. Extra-cirriculars aren't huge imho, but volunteering is. I also found something hugely helpful - watch 24 hours in A&E!!!! Watch how they conduct themselves, their tone of voice, emulate it when you volunteer, practice.

I got told constantly in interview practice I really sounded like I knew the lingo, because I had taught children and volunteered using the lingo for years. It's a polite, honest, respectful tone, with no faff and respect that the person in front of you is going through something difficult.
Hi - I'm a mum to a year 13, applied this year. She has 1 offer, 1 rejection pre interview and still waiting on 2 decisions. My advice to you is...
- It's def not too late to change your mind.
- Do lots and lots of voluntary work. I have seen a few people on here complaining that they couldn't get any voluntary work/work experience due to Covid - you don't have to necessarily be in a medical environment. My daughter clocked up approx 130 hours of volunteering at a community foodbank, Covid vaccine centre and a hospice (on reception). She was never at home so learnt how to handle a very busy schedule along with playing football competitively as well as a part time job. She is not afraid of hard work and loves keeping busy (all her choices).
- Through all of this, along with her personal story of "why medicine", (yours would be your recent long amounts of time spent in hospital) meant that her personal statement really wrote itself. So just go out there and get as much interaction as you can - there are so many volunteering options out there and it will really help you consider if medicine is right for you.
- Practice those UCAT papers and don't leave your exam until end of September. My daughter did but ended up in hospital for 5 days with severe breathing problems. It wasn't Covid but she was very poorly. Her UCAT was booked but she lost a good week (or more as recovery was slow) but she couldn't put it back further. So she got 2730, band 3 which she was very disappointed about. 2730 not so much as band 3 but it is what it is.
- Applying strategically to YOUR strengths. She had Newcastle as her top uni and was desperate to go there but it was a total waste as an option as she knew she wouldn't get a look in with her UCAT score. Also her band 3 meant that several other options were discounted. She received 3 interviews (Southampton UCAT shot up this year and she just missed cut off).
- Get that interview prep in early, speak to doctors, nurses and hear their perspectives. Keep a diary or spreadsheet of work experience and keep note of things your learnt and saw along the way. Again, if you have had plenty of experiences, then the answers should all be there in your head. Of course, you never can tell exactly how an interview will go but that's life.
- My daughter has been mentally prepared for 4 rejections and was quite looking forward to potentially a gap year. Having said that, she is over the moon to receive an offer. Who knows how the other 2 uni's will pan out but she has given it her best so what will be will be.
- Whatever path you choose, just give it your best shot as you'll have no regrets. The worst thing is to not succeed but know you could have done more.
- It's a really exciting future you have ahead and I wish you much luck!
Reply 6
Thank you so much for attaching that link, just had a read and I feel like I know so much more!
Also, your anecdote and this message is extremely reassuring. I'll definitely keep all this information in mind!
Reply 7
Original post by hungrysalamander
Law does not have any subject requirements. You could do biology, chemistry and another A-level of your choice to keep medicine and law open for you. At the moment, try to get work experience to see whether medicine is for you.

I'll definitely have a go at getting work experience. As for the a-levels, bio and chem it is!
Original post by TheMedicOwl
I decided that medicine was for me at 33-ish. I'll be 35 when I start. People choose or change their careers at all sorts of ages and you don't need to know exactly what you want to do in Year 10.

The one thing in your post that does make me hesitate is the reference to law. A lot of prospective applicants on here seem to think their choice is between medicine and law, or sometimes between medicine and engineering. Presumably this is because they have been exposed to very few other options and see these as the default 'good' jobs. I'd try to get some relevant volunteering or work experience to help make up your mind.

For me, it was more of 'am I closing doors?' thing, as I'm aware there are lots of careers that don't require a specific degree (Civil Service, Consultancy, IB, PR, accountancy, advertising and so on) but of course solicitors/barristers need a law degree/GDL and doctors need a medical degree, and I was just concerned that I was ruling them out as careers. But yes, as aforementioned, I'll definitely procure some work experience.
Reply 8
Original post by CatInTheCorner
You don't need to do an EPQ, but it can lower your offer to AAB at some unis ( like sheffield ) if you have an A or A*. Extra-cirriculars aren't huge imho, but volunteering is. I also found something hugely helpful - watch 24 hours in A&E!!!! Watch how they conduct themselves, their tone of voice, emulate it when you volunteer, practice.

I got told constantly in interview practice I really sounded like I knew the lingo, because I had taught children and volunteered using the lingo for years. It's a polite, honest, respectful tone, with no faff and respect that the person in front of you is going through something difficult.

Didn't know that about the EPQ, that sounds great though so I'm glad. I'm also an avid fan of 24hrs in A&E (much to my squeamish mother's gripe!) so I'll take more care to observe the staff when I watch.
Reply 9
Original post by the mumivator
Hi - I'm a mum to a year 13, applied this year. She has 1 offer, 1 rejection pre interview and still waiting on 2 decisions. My advice to you is...
- It's def not too late to change your mind.
- Do lots and lots of voluntary work. I have seen a few people on here complaining that they couldn't get any voluntary work/work experience due to Covid - you don't have to necessarily be in a medical environment. My daughter clocked up approx 130 hours of volunteering at a community foodbank, Covid vaccine centre and a hospice (on reception). She was never at home so learnt how to handle a very busy schedule along with playing football competitively as well as a part time job. She is not afraid of hard work and loves keeping busy (all her choices).
- Through all of this, along with her personal story of "why medicine", (yours would be your recent long amounts of time spent in hospital) meant that her personal statement really wrote itself. So just go out there and get as much interaction as you can - there are so many volunteering options out there and it will really help you consider if medicine is right for you.
- Practice those UCAT papers and don't leave your exam until end of September. My daughter did but ended up in hospital for 5 days with severe breathing problems. It wasn't Covid but she was very poorly. Her UCAT was booked but she lost a good week (or more as recovery was slow) but she couldn't put it back further. So she got 2730, band 3 which she was very disappointed about. 2730 not so much as band 3 but it is what it is.
- Applying strategically to YOUR strengths. She had Newcastle as her top uni and was desperate to go there but it was a total waste as an option as she knew she wouldn't get a look in with her UCAT score. Also her band 3 meant that several other options were discounted. She received 3 interviews (Southampton UCAT shot up this year and she just missed cut off).
- Get that interview prep in early, speak to doctors, nurses and hear their perspectives. Keep a diary or spreadsheet of work experience and keep note of things your learnt and saw along the way. Again, if you have had plenty of experiences, then the answers should all be there in your head. Of course, you never can tell exactly how an interview will go but that's life.
- My daughter has been mentally prepared for 4 rejections and was quite looking forward to potentially a gap year. Having said that, she is over the moon to receive an offer. Who knows how the other 2 uni's will pan out but she has given it her best so what will be will be.
- Whatever path you choose, just give it your best shot as you'll have no regrets. The worst thing is to not succeed but know you could have done more.
- It's a really exciting future you have ahead and I wish you much luck!

This is all very helpful, think I've struck a gold mine of advice!
Thank you so much, and I must say, your daughter is very lucky to have you! (I'm eternally grateful for my parents of course, but they haven't the foggiest about the whole application process :smile:)
Reply 10
Thank you to everyone who replied, you've all been very helpful and reassuring !!
Original post by lwbch14
This is all very helpful, think I've struck a gold mine of advice!
Thank you so much, and I must say, your daughter is very lucky to have you! (I'm eternally grateful for my parents of course, but they haven't the foggiest about the whole application process :smile:)

There is so much great advice on this site, and please feel free to message me/my daughter and we'll do our best to help. Another thing I was going to add is....my daughter went to grammar 6th form after state school for GCSE's. I remember when she went for the open evening she was told that going to this particular school would not be a "magic bullet" to uni and that it's down to you to get there. This was clearly true - it's a great school but very little/no help with personal statement, uni application, which uni's to apply to etc. Do not rely on your school to give you the info and tell you what to do and when to do it, be proactive and start research early, google everything, talk to students in the year above you studying towards medicine (and law as well). You def have to be self motivated! You may have this link already but....

https://www.themedicportal.com/application-guide/ucat/ucat-universities/

So much info here to get you going.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending