The Student Room Group

Full Year vs Academic Year Student Accommodation

Hi, I'm looking at accommodation with friends and saw that most private accoms let you choose between full and academic year for the time you will stay. We are planning on getting a house for second year so I was wondering if we would be in a situation where we would be paying for two places to live if we chose full year, or if we'd have no place to live for a few weeks in the summer. The university is quite far away from home so moving back for the summer is not feasible.
I'm not sure what the question is here? If you're asking which is better/worse (between paying for two places at once or having nowhere to live for a few weeks), it's better to have somewhere to go than nowhere; things you might want to consider:
- if you do take the full year, check your contract, you might be able to sublet the room and then you'd only be paying for the place you're actually living.
- if you have friends in the area, you could see if they'd be able to accommodate you for some time over summer?
Reply 2
Original post by lawling404
I'm not sure what the question is here? If you're asking which is better/worse (between paying for two places at once or having nowhere to live for a few weeks), it's better to have somewhere to go than nowhere; things you might want to consider:
- if you do take the full year, check your contract, you might be able to sublet the room and then you'd only be paying for the place you're actually living.
- if you have friends in the area, you could see if they'd be able to accommodate you for some time over summer?

I hadn't heard of subletting before, it seems like a good idea. I mainly wanted to ask if there is enough time to start living in student housing without having nowhere to go if you only stay for the academic year, and which would be more cost efficient.
Original post by Anonymous
Hi, I'm looking at accommodation with friends and saw that most private accoms let you choose between full and academic year for the time you will stay. We are planning on getting a house for second year so I was wondering if we would be in a situation where we would be paying for two places to live if we chose full year, or if we'd have no place to live for a few weeks in the summer. The university is quite far away from home so moving back for the summer is not feasible.

Hey,

I think you'd need to look at when your housing contract starts and when your current one ends - each housing contract is different but hopefully if they do overlap, it is just for a short time.

Alternatively, if there is a period of time where you do not have accommodation at university - see if there are any storage places. There usually are in student cities and they are usually cheap too!

I hope this helps,
Sara
Reply 4
Original post by Coventry University Student Ambassadors
Hey,

I think you'd need to look at when your housing contract starts and when your current one ends - each housing contract is different but hopefully if they do overlap, it is just for a short time.

Alternatively, if there is a period of time where you do not have accommodation at university - see if there are any storage places. There usually are in student cities and they are usually cheap too!

I hope this helps,
Sara

Thank You!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending