The Student Room Group

Hmrc tax fine

I received a fine for not doing my tax return
Should my mum at least pay half the fine

Back story
I got a letter from hmrc about some type of tax. My mum said it was to claim back tax relief for fuel and food etc and I told her it was to do with self assessment. The letter wasn't all that clear. I told her I would ask my bf and she said no and that I should listen to her as she was my mum. In the end she told me to just leave it as it was only tax relief and that I should claim it back once its a bigger amount

Turns out it was a self assessment letter to do my taxes. I didn't warn enough anyway to pay tax that year but should she pay something towards the fine
How old are you? If you're 18 or older that I'd suggest that you're old enough to take responsibility for your own tax affairs. Parents don't know everything, especially when it comes to tax.

Note that according to the "If you’re appealing a Self Assessment penalty" section on https://www.gov.uk/tax-appeals/penalty, "You can get your penalty cancelled if you did not send a tax return because you no longer needed to." Is that the case in your scenario? If so, tell HMRC online you do not need to be self assessed and appeal the fine online. You can also call the helpline and appeal by post if you'd rather (details on that same page).
Original post by Misszeus
I received a fine for not doing my tax return
Should my mum at least pay half the fine

Back story
I got a letter from hmrc about some type of tax. My mum said it was to claim back tax relief for fuel and food etc and I told her it was to do with self assessment. The letter wasn't all that clear. I told her I would ask my bf and she said no and that I should listen to her as she was my mum. In the end she told me to just leave it as it was only tax relief and that I should claim it back once its a bigger amount

Turns out it was a self assessment letter to do my taxes. I didn't warn enough anyway to pay tax that year but should she pay something towards the fine

Did you register for a self-assessment record? I would get in touch with them ASAP. If you have opened one to claim expenses then you are expected to submit one each year - until you tell them you no longer need it. Tax returns are due by 31st of Jan each year online, failure to submit on time will result in late filing penalties- £100 for a day late, after 3 months it's £10 per day (up to £900), and more until you file. But you need to let them know within the tax year otherwise they cannot withdraw you and will expect you to file a return. You can do it online using your gov gateway, even if it's just £0 you put in.

Be careful with any 3rd party companies if they advertise to claim money back on uniforms etc. They tend to open you an account, then expect you to fill out a return. But it will be your responsibility as it's your personal tax

You are supposed to pay the fines; then if you want you can appeal but only once you've got the return in (or called and have them withdraw you from it). Hope this helps
Reply 3
Original post by claireferguson98
Did you register for a self-assessment record? I would get in touch with them ASAP. If you have opened one to claim expenses then you are expected to submit one each year - until you tell them you no longer need it. Tax returns are due by 31st of Jan each year online, failure to submit on time will result in late filing penalties- £100 for a day late, after 3 months it's £10 per day (up to £900), and more until you file. But you need to let them know within the tax year otherwise they cannot withdraw you and will expect you to file a return. You can do it online using your gov gateway, even if it's just £0 you put in.

Be careful with any 3rd party companies if they advertise to claim money back on uniforms etc. They tend to open you an account, then expect you to fill out a return. But it will be your responsibility as it's your personal tax

You are supposed to pay the fines; then if you want you can appeal but only once you've got the return in (or called and have them withdraw you from it). Hope this helps

I spoke to them and they cancelled the fine. I explained the situation and they were amazing about it
Original post by Misszeus
I spoke to them and they cancelled the fine. I explained the situation and they were amazing about it

That's great news! Thanks for updating us. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending