The Student Room Group

manual driving

i had my first ever manual driving lesson and i didnt know driving would be so complicated and hard, even steering a wheel was hard, i felt like the car was controlling me and not the other way round.
it definitely gets easier though right?
my plan was to be able to finish in 20 hours but it just doesnt seem to be possible for me bc there are just so much things to learn.
my family are discouraging me and telling me why would you pick manual and make your life harder just go with automatic and im really starting to believe them.
i dont even know why i picked manual, its not like i was saving money bc im going to need more lessons with manual.
any thoughts i just want someone who is not a discouraging family member to give me some advice
(edited 1 year ago)
Tell us more.
A manual licence allows you to drive both a manual and automatic - that's the biggest benefit.
Reply 3
I went manual for the flexibility. It is a bit commitment though, so it depends what time/money you’re willing to put into it. I think I did about 30 hours of lessons, but that’s partly because it’s so hard to get a test at the moment.
Reply 4
And don’t worry - everyone finds it really hard to start!
Reply 5
Original post by tinyperson
Tell us more.

is that you being sarcastic?
It's okay, manual has it's benefits too, you can do it just have to practise and keep at it, gl.
This is gonna sound really stupid but… how do I start driving? like ofc I gotta get the provisional but basically I’m trying to get promoted at work but I don’t wanna move positions until I’ve got a car cause I’ve got to stay until late at night as part of my duties and I live far away from my workplace :frown:
Reply 8
Original post by amhick18
This is gonna sound really stupid but… how do I start driving? like ofc I gotta get the provisional but basically I’m trying to get promoted at work but I don’t wanna move positions until I’ve got a car cause I’ve got to stay until late at night as part of my duties and I live far away from my workplace :frown:

my advice is to apply for provisional asap as there is a big delay and mine took 10 weeks to arrive, so you cant do anything until you’ve got your provisional. after you have it you can begin your driving lessons, i picked my driving school based on google reviews and then bare in mind you have to take your theory test too but you can do this anytime before your practical driving test, hope this helps!! x
Original post by ssokka
i had my first ever manual driving lesson and i didnt know driving would be so complicated and hard, even steering a wheel was hard, i felt like the car was controlling me and not the other way round.
it definitely gets easier though right?
my plan was to be able to finish in 20 hours but it just doesnt seem to be possible for me bc there are just so much things to learn.
my family are discouraging me and telling me why would you pick manual and make your life harder just go with automatic and im really starting to believe them.
i dont even know why i picked manual, its not like i was saving money bc im going to need more lessons with manual.
any thoughts i just want someone who is not a discouraging family member to give me some advice

You’ve literally had one lesson.

Setting yourself the target of learning in under half the normal time before you even sat in a car was unrealistic. Take a deep breath, ignore your family and enjoy the learning experience. There is no rush.
Original post by ssokka
my advice is to apply for provisional asap as there is a big delay and mine took 10 weeks to arrive, so you cant do anything until you’ve got your provisional. after you have it you can begin your driving lessons, i picked my driving school based on google reviews and then bare in mind you have to take your theory test too but you can do this anytime before your practical driving test, hope this helps!! x

Thank youuuuu x
A general recommendation (I got from an instructor) was that you need about 40 hours behind the wheel before your test. It doesn't have to all be lessons if your family are able to take you out and practice once you have the basics. A bit of practice and the gears becomes second nature. Being able to drive a manual gives you more options in the future - hire cars and vans are often manual.
Don't worry. You have had one lesson and it's a completely new thing - don't expect yourself to suddenly be perfect. It takes time and practice, but everyone has started from a point where everything felt confusing and difficult. You will notice huge progress over the next few weeks, stick with it, and don't beat yourself up!
it gets a lot easier the more you drive

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending