The Student Room Group
Power Station Simulator, University of Strathclyde
University of Strathclyde

Any questions for a current Strathclyde Student

Hi,
I am Catherine and this year's Office Student Ambassador. I'm going into my 4th year in September (2022) and I study BA (Hons) History and Law.

I am happy to answer any questions or try and ease any worries about applying / coming to / being at Strathclyde :-)

Catherine
University of Strathclyde - Student Ambassador
(edited 1 year ago)
I have one, so thanks for reaching out.

In the Additional Information section beneath the Entry Requirements section for BA Hons Psychology (UCAS C800) here it says:
Due to the popularity of the course, performance-related criteria may be in place to manage entry into Honours (year 4).

It's the "may be in place" piece that confuses me, and the fact that it's down to "the popularity of the course". If they'd said, "progress to Year 4 is subject to achieving an average of at least 40% in Year 3" (or whatever) then that's a nice clean academic requirement for progression.

However, the way it's worded implies that you could have happily completed Years 1, 2 and 3 - only to be told that they've got too many students for Year 4 (perhaps fewer dropped out than they expected?) so they're going to have to "cull" those with the lowest grades. Is that how most courses at Strathclyde work?

By way of explanation, they offer this - which I find even more confusing:
This means that the numbers admitted to Years 2 and 3 of the course are limited.

How does any of this work in practice?
(edited 1 year ago)
Power Station Simulator, University of Strathclyde
University of Strathclyde
Original post by DataVenia
I have one, so thanks for reaching out.

In the Additional Information section beneath the Entry Requirements section for BA Hons Psychology (UCAS C800) here it says:

It's the "may be in place" piece that confuses me, and the fact that it's down to "the popularity of the course". If they'd said, "progress to Year 4 is subject to achieving an average of at least 40% in Year 3" (or whatever) then that's a nice clean academic requirement for progression.

However, the way it's worded implies that you could have happily completed Years 1, 2 and 3 - only to be told that they've got too many students for Year 4 (perhaps fewer dropped out than they expected?) so they're going to have to "cull" those with the lowest grades. Is that how most courses at Strathclyde work?

By way of explanation, they offer this - which I find even more confusing:

How does any of this work in practice?

Hi @DataVenia,

Thanks for your question.

The BA Hons Psychology is part of the BA HASS degree structure. This means in first year you study 3 subjects which then reduces to 2 in second year and third year and then either to 1 or 2 in fourth year depending on whether you choose single or joint hons. You must pass each year to progress onto the next eg. pass third year then you will progress to fourth year.

The course has flexibility where you can choose your classes. It may be that some of the module options have student limits and be capped but there will be other options available. Before each year you are consulted and choose/rank the classes you wish to take.

There are course and study advisors who are available and able to help with any questions or concerns that may arise during your studies.
If you are unsure about any of the wordings on the course pages or have any questions then I would recommend reaching out to the HASS admissions: [email protected]

Catherine :-)
University of Strathclyde Student Ambassador
Original post by University of Strathclyde Student Ambassador
Hi @DataVenia,

Thanks for your question.

The BA Hons Psychology is part of the BA HASS degree structure. This means in first year you study 3 subjects which then reduces to 2 in second year and third year and then either to 1 or 2 in fourth year depending on whether you choose single or joint hons. You must pass each year to progress onto the next eg. pass third year then you will progress to fourth year.

The course has flexibility where you can choose your classes. It may be that some of the module options have student limits and be capped but there will be other options available. Before each year you are consulted and choose/rank the classes you wish to take.

There are course and study advisors who are available and able to help with any questions or concerns that may arise during your studies.
If you are unsure about any of the wordings on the course pages or have any questions then I would recommend reaching out to the HASS admissions: [email protected]

Catherine :-)
University of Strathclyde Student Ambassador

Thank you for the explanation.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending