The Student Room Group

Academic Misconduct for dissertation

Today I found out that only half of my marks were released and I didn't get a final grade and I'm so sad as I thought I would end up with a 2.1. My turn it in report for this dissertation was 42% however most of it was 1% from several sources. I am really worried because this is my second meeting as with the first one, I didn't paraphrase my writing well. I focused on a topic from a global perspective so it was hard for me to write about but I am worried they will terminate my studies and I won't even end up with a final grade. Advice please?
I really need advice on this as I wanted to apply for human rights law but I am concerned I won't even graduate.
Original post by Anonymous
Today I found out that only half of my marks were released and I didn't get a final grade and I'm so sad as I thought I would end up with a 2.1. My turn it in report for this dissertation was 42% however most of it was 1% from several sources. I am really worried because this is my second meeting as with the first one, I didn't paraphrase my writing well. I focused on a topic from a global perspective so it was hard for me to write about but I am worried they will terminate my studies and I won't even end up with a final grade. Advice please?

Turnitin is a similarity checker, not a plagiarism checker, although 42% does seem quite high even when taking that into account.

Get advice and representation from your student's union - they will be aware of the procedures specific to your university. When you say second meeting, are you saying that this isn't the first time you have been accused of (or found guilty of) academic misconduct?
Original post by Blue_Cow
Turnitin is a similarity checker, not a plagiarism checker, although 42% does seem quite high even when taking that into account.

Get advice and representation from your student's union - they will be aware of the procedures specific to your university. When you say second meeting, are you saying that this isn't the first time you have been accused of (or found guilty of) academic misconduct?

Yes this is my second meeting as I have been accused of this before. :frown:
Yes this is my second meeting as I have been accused of this before. :frown:

Were you found guilty previously? If so, you may need to prepare for the worst possible outcome here which could be as much as expulsion. Definitely speak to your student's union and get everything in order.
Original post by Blue_Cow
Were you found guilty previously? If so, you may need to prepare for the worst possible outcome here which could be as much as expulsion. Definitely speak to your student's union and get everything in order.

Yes, I will write to my student union. I'm not sure what that will mean- so I wouldn't be allowed to repeat the year?
Yes, I will write to my student union. I'm not sure what that will mean- so I wouldn't be allowed to repeat the year?

Expulsion meaning you are forcibly withdrawn from the university and will no longer be able to continue your studies there. Being found guilty of one offence is serious enough but a second offence in final-year is even worse.
Reply 7
If you get found guilty a second time, there is next to no chance of retaking the year. This is the harsh truth.

We don't really have enough info to go on to predict what the outcome might be. i appreciate that this is not what you want to hear, and it does little to help. Blue Cow is dead right. Speak to the SU as soon as is practical.
Original post by gjd800
If you get found guilty a second time, there is next to no chance of retaking the year. This is the harsh truth.

We don't really have enough info to go on to predict what the outcome might be. i appreciate that this is not what you want to hear, and it does little to help. Blue Cow is dead right. Speak to the SU as soon as is practical.

I have just contacted them for advice explaining that my topic was too broad and what my concerns are. I went over the work last night and it seems as if I made the same mistake last time, where I cited my work but did not put synonyms in so I acknowledged who wrote the work, but this subject was more suited for a master's thesis and so I was really struggling to reword things and I put in key terminology. Personally, I would feel so disappointed if they decide to terminate my studies as it was an accidental error, but I think I really should have narrowed my topic area down or done a different subject for my dissertation.
Reply 9
I have just contacted them for advice explaining that my topic was too broad and what my concerns are. I went over the work last night and it seems as if I made the same mistake last time, where I cited my work but did not put synonyms in so I acknowledged who wrote the work, but this subject was more suited for a master's thesis and so I was really struggling to reword things and I put in key terminology. Personally, I would feel so disappointed if they decide to terminate my studies as it was an accidental error, but I think I really should have narrowed my topic area down or done a different subject for my dissertation.

Hopefully they sccept it for what it seems to be, a genuine mistake. My fingers are crossed for you - best of luck.
Original post by gjd800
Hopefully they sccept it for what it seems to be, a genuine mistake. My fingers are crossed for you - best of luck.

I hope so too. I went to wellbeing and they said one of the worst outcomes would be to receive an ordinary degree, but they may just cap my dissertation mark to a 40 so I receive a 2.2. I understand people may not state that I am capable of doing a master's but to be honest I think this year was really bad and I think if I could start over, I would have got higher marks. I ended up getting 68 for two of my modules this year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending