The Student Room Group

Freshers week?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Interea
Unis are still in the process of finalising things, so I think you're just looking a bit too early and that's why you're not finding much. My uni had the sort of thing you're looking for (a page with every single freshers event, sober and drinking, listed so you could build your own timetable and make sure you weren't missing anything), but it was only available a couple of weeks in advance, and was behind a log in so you could only see it if you were actually confirmed to be a student there.

Freshers week tickets will mainly only be for clubbing, other stuff will usually be free and available to drop in without booking in advance. As others have said, anything on Facebook this early is unlikely to be the official university events anyway.

You are 100% correct thank you! I just started doing uni research so I was confused but this relaxes me 😂 I thought I was later to the uni freshers week trend. Thank you!!!
Original post by Anonymous
Hi, I don’t do drinking due to my religious beliefs but if you want to make friends ‘freshers week’ is vital but that’s literally just clubbing? Where do you find the societies, is it more than one event in freshers week?

Hey,

I am a current 3rd year at the uni of Nottingham.

I really wouldn't worry about this too much at all. You may get a few questions or comments asking why you aren't drinking but once you explain why then the majority of people accept your choices and the ones that don't you probably don't want to be friends with anyway.

There are loads of societies that don't involve drinking and even societies that go out clubbing and drinking will also have non-drinking socials so whatever your interests you will find your people.
This also goes for sports as well as other societies.
You will also meet lots of people through your accommodation and there will be events that they put on (drinking and non-drinking).

I hope this helps but if you have any questions just let me know,
Emily :smile:
Original post by EmilyClarke24
Hey,

I am a current 3rd year at the uni of Nottingham.

I really wouldn't worry about this too much at all. You may get a few questions or comments asking why you aren't drinking but once you explain why then the majority of people accept your choices and the ones that don't you probably don't want to be friends with anyway.

There are loads of societies that don't involve drinking and even societies that go out clubbing and drinking will also have non-drinking socials so whatever your interests you will find your people.
This also goes for sports as well as other societies.
You will also meet lots of people through your accommodation and there will be events that they put on (drinking and non-drinking).

I hope this helps but if you have any questions just let me know,
Emily :smile:

Thank you very much! Wish you the best of luck in your studies
Hi, I don’t do drinking due to my religious beliefs but if you want to make friends ‘freshers week’ is vital but that’s literally just clubbing? Where do you find the societies, is it more than one event in freshers week?

Hello,

There is definitely a drinking culture in freshers week but there are plenty of people who also don’t drink. I found at my uni there were events put on by the student union that did not involve drinking and also at the society fair you will find a range of societies and in these there are plenty of activities that don’t involve drinking. Regardless, I think it’s worth noting that freshers isn’t as big of a deal breaker for making friends as it may initially seem. There are plenty of opportunities outside of it to make friends and really everyone is just finding their feet during this time.

All the best,

Teresa (University of Southampton Ambassador)

Hey!

I have just finished my first year at uni and I can say from my experience freshers week is not completely vital for making friends. For us, freshers week involved a wide range of activities during the day as well as evening. Some activities were different sports, there was dog walking (one of my favourites!), a silent disco and lots more! None of the activities required you to drink, some of the night time activities such as a DJ event people did drink but I have friends who don't drink and still came and had a good time! Freshers is there to help you meet people and get to know people with similar interests however there are still plenty of opportunities after freshers to meet people and make friends for example on your course!

Our uni, had a freshers fair which is where all the societies were there and you could chat to members of the society to get a better idea about them and then if you wanted to you could sign up! But they are also often listed online, on the student Union's website for example and you can normally join at any point in the year!

I hope this helps,
Abby, University of Chichester, First Year Student Ambassador
Original post by ChichesterStuRep
Hey!

I have just finished my first year at uni and I can say from my experience freshers week is not completely vital for making friends. For us, freshers week involved a wide range of activities during the day as well as evening. Some activities were different sports, there was dog walking (one of my favourites!), a silent disco and lots more! None of the activities required you to drink, some of the night time activities such as a DJ event people did drink but I have friends who don't drink and still came and had a good time! Freshers is there to help you meet people and get to know people with similar interests however there are still plenty of opportunities after freshers to meet people and make friends for example on your course!

Our uni, had a freshers fair which is where all the societies were there and you could chat to members of the society to get a better idea about them and then if you wanted to you could sign up! But they are also often listed online, on the student Union's website for example and you can normally join at any point in the year!

I hope this helps,
Abby, University of Chichester, First Year Student Ambassador

Thank you very much! Would you say everyone wants to make friends in university? I know that sounds a bit dumb but in sixth form college in 2020 there was covid but also it seemed like people picked and choose who to be friends with as they already had prior friends
Reply 26
Hi, I'm going to the uni of liverpool as well and I don't drink too. I was doing some research and I think the uni has a sober soc where they get together to do activities that don't involve alcohol but that's all I've seen so far.
Thank you very much! I checked societies for the university of Liverpool but there were rarely any but someone said there will be loads on the day, I wish unis made an entire page talking about freshers week, it's all over the place with looking at Facebook/websites and ill definitely look into that! for Liverpool, the only freshers week tickets I found were clubbing.

There is a Sober Soc, as another poster has mentioned. Also, have a look here for other societies: https://www.liverpoolguild.org/opportunities/societies

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending