The Student Room Group

I study Biology and Chemistry at A-Level - AMA

I am an A-Level Biology and Chemistry student. I also study Geography alongside Biology and Chemistry. I know there are lots of budding doctors, scientists and engineers out there who may have some burning questions to ask. Ask me anything! I'll reply soon.

Scroll to see replies

For biology how would you say the step up is from GCSE to A-Level?
Original post by thrivingfrog
For biology how would you say the step up is from GCSE to A-Level?

Biology, in my opinion, was a big step from GCSE to AS because from the beginning, it is a lot of detail and information - which a lot of people didn't really understand because nobody expected the step to be that big. But as you go along, it does get easier then the step from AS to A2 is smaller than the one from GCSE to AS, in my opinion, because a lot of the A2 ecosystems stuff coincides with the biodiversity module from AS. And the biodiversity module is pretty much the same as it was in GCSE.
Original post by JA03
Biology, in my opinion, was a big step from GCSE to AS because from the beginning, it is a lot of detail and information - which a lot of people didn't really understand because nobody expected the step to be that big. But as you go along, it does get easier then the step from AS to A2 is smaller than the one from GCSE to AS, in my opinion, because a lot of the A2 ecosystems stuff coincides with the biodiversity module from AS. And the biodiversity module is pretty much the same as it was in GCSE.

In that case I should probably go over biodiversity before September because I wasn't taught it (cons of advanced information)
In that case I should probably go over biodiversity before September because I wasn't taught it (cons of advanced information)

I wouldn't worry too much. Biodiversity is fairly easy, I would go through some of the AS content as it is pretty much the same as GCSE. Do you know what exam board you're doing?
Original post by JA03
I wouldn't worry too much. Biodiversity is fairly easy, I would go through some of the AS content as it is pretty much the same as GCSE. Do you know what exam board you're doing?

Ah good. I'm doing AQA (for all my A-Levels actually)
Ah good. I'm doing AQA (for all my A-Levels actually)

You can try find a second-hand AQA Biology A-Level textbook and look through it. They usually have notes in them.
Original post by JA03
I am an A-Level Biology and Chemistry student. I also study Geography alongside Biology and Chemistry. I know there are lots of budding doctors, scientists and engineers out there who may have some burning questions to ask. Ask me anything! I'll reply soon.

When starting yr12 do you have any tips for Chemistry and Biology, also would it be helpful to start going through the content now?
Original post by randompanda_
When starting yr12 do you have any tips for Chemistry and Biology, also would it be helpful to start going through the content now?

Absolutely! In chemistry, please do practice moles, balancing equations, electron structures and bonding (giant metallic lattice, boiling points, covalent, gisnt covalent, etc) just for the first module as well as looking at shapes of molecules just to get some insight. It may be worth looking at organic molecules again especially alcohols and esters.

For Biology - get an idea of structures and functions of cell organelles - they are hard to comprehend at the beginning but if you make some notes on them then when you get into your lesson you’ll be able to focus on what the teacher is saying because you’d already have notes done.

In general, make notes before the lesson then make revision material after the lesson. It can help so so much.
I do OCR A for biology and chemistry too!
Websites:
For past paper questions: https://studymind.co.uk
^^ This website also put up some notes for OCR A-Level Chemistry!
For past paper questions + summary notes: https://www.physicsandmathstutor.com

Make your revision material as you go instead of all at once and keep practicing as you go. Using flashcards are great and Anki is a great app to make them on because it uses an active recall technique which becomes imperative at A-Level.
I organise my notes into folders - I use a refill pad at school to write my notes then I put them in my folder when I finish the topic so I can do revision for the topic test.

Books:
Get the OCR A textbooks
Get Oxford Revise revision guides - they're very good for quick fire questions, past paper questions and they have amazing summaries of topics!

Some advice - make your revision material as you go. Make your notes BEFORE your lesson (ask your teacher to send the lesson powerpoint to you beforehand) so when the lesson is happening, you're giving your full attention to what your teacher is saying while looking down on your notes instead of writing your notes and not paying attention. This will show teachers that you're very organised from the beginning so when UCAS comes around, your teachers have great things to say about you right off the bat.
Also, revise as you go! This will be so much easier for you in the long run. For chemistry, in my AS exams, I got 76% overall (I think that's good) and I did this by revising my flashcards as I went and when I finished the topic, I done past paper questions to test myself! And remember, try to remember what your notes or teacher said carefully because A-Level mark schemes are super specific.

I hope this helps and feel free to AMA again!
A lot of people use that textbook and I'm not sure if it sticks to the spec. I use the AS and the A2 textbook for biology and my school allows me to borrow the chemistry textbooks for a year.
I can send over a copy of my textbooks (I use PDF) so you could either print them out or just use them as an online source of information and as far as I know, the 2 textbooks I use stick to the spec.
I personally think that CGP isn't needed however many people do use them - people usually get the CGP textbook but I don't think it's necessary when I have the AS and A2 textbooks I have. I use my teacher's powerpoint then I look over the textbook and add anything I need from there (however my teachers use the textbook as a main source of info for their powerpoint so it's a win-win for me).
You're perfectly normal for worrying! I did too and I still do but we can all worry together, right? And the questions are fine, that's why I'm here and that's why I made this thread.
You're welcome for the websites and being prepared is the best way to go into Y12!
I use my notes and the textbook. I focus on keywords that are in bold or underlined. Then look on mark schemes, if any words are underlined or in bold - they are keywords and you dont get any marks without them. That’s how brutal A-Level Biology is. However, A-Levels are the hardest exams you’ll take - university graduates say this.
@JA03 Hello, I am thinking of taking 3 a-levels between biology,chemistry, maths and psychology.I have wanted to be a doctor for the past two years but now I am not sure if it is right for me considering I do not enjoy chemistry as I used to and I am not sure if the work style/environment may suit me.I have also heard the subjects are very difficult especially the maths,chemistry and biology combination.Apart from medicine, I am not sure of another career to pursue.As you have taken biology and chemistry, is there any advice you could give me on whether I should take the subjects?
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by JA03
Absolutely! In chemistry, please do practice moles, balancing equations, electron structures and bonding (giant metallic lattice, boiling points, covalent, gisnt covalent, etc) just for the first module as well as looking at shapes of molecules just to get some insight. It may be worth looking at organic molecules again especially alcohols and esters.

For Biology - get an idea of structures and functions of cell organelles - they are hard to comprehend at the beginning but if you make some notes on them then when you get into your lesson you’ll be able to focus on what the teacher is saying because you’d already have notes done.

In general, make notes before the lesson then make revision material after the lesson. It can help so so much.

alright, I'll start then, thank you!
Heya! Thank you for sharing our resources @JA03!:biggrin: I did bio and chem a-levels as well :smile: I would recommend starting as soon as you can! While it's summer you can go over the material in advance (not in detail) just to see what's ahead and which topics seem challenging to you! I would usually dedicate around 1-2hrs every other day during the summer just looking at the material and making a few notes so I'm not caught off guard during the year and am prepared in advance. Regarding when to do past papers, I would recommend starting doing them around when you covered the first 3 topics in school and then having a go at past papers (The Study Mind website offers free past papers separated by topic!).

I would have big notebooks and folders (to keep extra material or past papers in) for each subject e.g. bio green notebook and chem blue notebook. I would also really recommend having a refill pad during lessons as suggested above to take quick notes of what the teacher says. As a good practice for university - I would also recommend making notes and reading ahead before the lesson as well (this is essential when you go to uni so good to develop the habit early on!). That way you'll be able to listen to the teacher better + have questions at the end.

Hope this helps and good luck!
Milena G.
UCL PFE
Study Mind
Original post by Alice0500
@JA03 Hello, I am thinking of taking 3 a-levels between biology,chemistry, maths and psychology.I have wanted to be a doctor for the past two years but now I am not sure if it is right for me considering I do not enjoy chemistry as I used to and I am not sure if the work style/environment may suit me.I have also heard the subjects are very difficult especially the maths,chemistry and biology combination.Apart from medicine, I am not sure of another career to pursue.As you have taken biology and chemistry, is there any advice you could give me on whether I should take the subjects?

Welp, I had a huge essay for you but my internet crashed and deleted it so here's a super simplified version.
- https://www.medschools.ac.uk/studying-medicine/making-an-application/entry-requirements?type=medicine-with-a-gateway-year
^^^ This website includes a lot of information on the entry requirements of medicine, specific to each university. It has information on Medicine with Gateway Years, Medicine with Preliminary Years, Post-grad medicine, etc. So it may be worth looking at that.

- Chemistry is not always enjoyable, a lot of people in my classes say that but to them, it's a means to an end and it shouldn't deter you from doing medicine.
- Maths, Biology and Chemistry (MBC) is a hard combination (But bio and chem do cross over a lot) and it still shouldn't deter you from medicine - as long as your passion for medicine is strong you can get through it but there are other options. I know that medicine seems like the sole choice given what our parents may have taught us - my parents taught me that it's either doctor, engineer, lawyer or failure. But here are your options and potential prospects:

- Biomedical Science, 3/4 year course (BSc is 3 years, MSc is 4 years - undergrad (there are some optional modules you can do too!)) - you can become a biomedical scientist in the NHS, become a biomedical researcher within a university, if you decide medicine is your route during this course then you can do post-graduate medicine if you finish a Biomedical Science Course or you can even do a PhD in biomedicine!
- Pharmacy - they are becoming much more needed now and they have a lot of clinical skills - you can go on to be a hospital pharmacist/GP pharmacist or do a PhD and become a pharmacy professor (as pharmacy is only available in some universities)
- NatSci (Natural Sciences) - you can take 2 science subjects and take them both to degree level where you would achieve a degree with a major in one science (could be biology) and a minor in another science (could be chemistry/environmental science/mathematical biology/maths, etc) and again, optional modules!
- Biochemistry - You may not like it as it is 50% biology and 50% chemistry.
- Medicine with preliminary year/gateway year - you can get into these courses if you either do not have the A-Levels (could compensate for not taking chemistry) or you didn't meet the grade requirement (often AAA-A*A*A) so it could be a better option for you. Look through the website I put on at the beginning.

I can't tell you to not take chemistry because it is ultimately your decision but I initially hated it at GCSE and now I like it, some people loved it at GCSE and can barely tolerate it now so it really depends on the person - some people loved it all the way through, some people are just trying to get through it. But maths is the MOST sought-after A-Level out there, it's the one universities really want so that can put you over other applicants when UCAS applications come around. Doing biology, maths and psychology can still allow you to do medicine, it may just be slightly harder or you can take medicine with a gateway year as some of them don't even have subject requirements.

Also feel free to look throughout this thread for any advice I gave to other prospective biology and chemistry students so you can prepare too! I know some people who do maths and they say it's just constant practice that is needed and that is the same for biology and chemistry. Just know you can still do medicine but not do chemistry, there are other options!

I hope this helps! (:
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by randompanda_
alright, I'll start then, thank you!

No worries! LMK if you need more advice!
Original post by JA03
Welp, I had a huge essay for you but my internet crashed and deleted it so here's a super simplified version.
- https://www.medschools.ac.uk/studying-medicine/making-an-application/entry-requirements?type=medicine-with-a-gateway-year
^^^ This website includes a lot of information on the entry requirements of medicine, specific to each university. It has information on Medicine with Gateway Years, Medicine with Preliminary Years, Post-grad medicine, etc. So it may be worth looking at that.

- Chemistry is not always enjoyable, a lot of people in my classes say that but to them, it's a means to an end and it shouldn't deter you from doing medicine.
- Maths, Biology and Chemistry (MBC) is a hard combination (But bio and chem do cross over a lot) and it still shouldn't deter you from medicine - as long as your passion for medicine is strong you can get through it but there are other options. I know that medicine seems like the sole choice given what our parents may have taught us - my parents taught me that it's either doctor, engineer, lawyer or failure. But here are your options and potential prospects:

- Biomedical Science, 3/4 year course (BSc is 3 years, MSc is 4 years - undergrad (there are some optional modules you can do too!)) - you can become a biomedical scientist in the NHS, become a biomedical researcher within a university, if you decide medicine is your route during this course then you can do post-graduate medicine if you finish a Biomedical Science Course or you can even do a PhD in biomedicine!
- Pharmacy - they are becoming much more needed now and they have a lot of clinical skills - you can go on to be a hospital pharmacist/GP pharmacist or do a PhD and become a pharmacy professor (as pharmacy is only available in some universities)
- NatSci (Natural Sciences) - you can take 2 science subjects and take them both to degree level where you would achieve a degree with a major in one science (could be biology) and a minor in another science (could be chemistry/environmental science/mathematical biology/maths, etc) and again, optional modules!
- Biochemistry - You may not like it as it is 50% biology and 50% chemistry.
- Medicine with preliminary year/gateway year - you can get into these courses if you either do not have the A-Levels (could compensate for not taking chemistry) or you didn't meet the grade requirement (often AAA-A*A*A) so it could be a better option for you. Look through the website I put on at the beginning.

I can't tell you to not take chemistry because it is ultimately your decision but I initially hated it at GCSE and now I like it, some people loved it at GCSE and can barely tolerate it now so it really depends on the person - some people loved it all the way through, some people are just trying to get through it. But maths is the MOST sought-after A-Level out there, it's the one universities really want so that can put you over other applicants when UCAS applications come around. Doing biology, maths and psychology can still allow you to do medicine, it may just be slightly harder or you can take medicine with a gateway year as some of them don't even have subject requirements.

Also feel free to look throughout this thread for any advice I gave to other prospective biology and chemistry students so you can prepare too! I know some people who do maths and they say it's just constant practice that is needed and that is the same for biology and chemistry. Just know you can still do medicine but not do chemistry, there are other options!

I hope this helps! (:

Hey @JA03

Biochemistry isn't quite 50/50, it's more biology focused! At Lancaster in my first year I did 7 chemistry modules, nearly half of my total modules, but next year I only do 2-3, so the degree is predominantly biology! Also in some universities it has very little chemistry. If anyone is considering doing biochemistry I'd recommend checking the modules the university does as there is some variation!

Rebecca :smile:
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
Hey @JA03

Biochemistry isn't quite 50/50, it's more biology focused! At Lancaster in my first year I did 7 chemistry modules, nearly half of my total modules, but next year I only do 2-3, so the degree is predominantly biology! Also in some universities it has very little chemistry. If anyone is considering doing biochemistry I'd recommend checking the modules the university does as there is some variation!

Rebecca :smile:

Thank you for the input! Someone I spoke to who knew the modules at Newcastle University said it's half and half but it's great to know that it's different at all universities so people have a lot more choice!

Quick Reply

Latest