The Student Room Group

2 days a week full time Universities in London

Hi,

Are there any universities in London that offer full time undergraduate courses scheduled at just 2 full days a week maximum? (As I want to keep my current job which is 3 days a week)
Original post by dkbdkb
Hi,

Are there any universities in London that offer full time undergraduate courses scheduled at just 2 full days a week maximum? (As I want to keep my current job which is 3 days a week)

It would vary by course and university, and likely change from year to year.

An alternative approach would be Birkbeck, which only teaches in the evening.
Hi!

I think it will be unlikely you find a university that is full time and only 2 days a week. When you begin university they tell you to treat it like a fulltime job as yes you need to allow for time for in person lectures, but you also need to allow time for things like extra reading, assignments, coursework, exam prep etc. They normally say to dedicate 37 hours a week to a full time course, it is a lot of time but it's worth it as an investment into yourself and further your career paths.

If you have to keep your job, perhaps consider working weekends or cutting your hours down. Sure it will defiantly suck taking a paycut, but if it's still livable then just remind yourself it's not forever and will lead you to something great later on. (I went from working fulltime to become a fulltime student) 3/4 Years is only a small chunk of your life! Plus you need to remember uni can bring financial support via student maintenance loans, bursaries etc.

There is also the option of open university, which is great if you do not have the time for uni. It is better to attend a university institution than complete it online generally, due to things like e.g. in person support, a physical library (save money on books), real life lecturers, social support from classmates, and accredited courses.

I hope this helps a bit, feel free to ask any other questions.

Lauren -Official Student Rep:biggrin:
As above even if you did only have teaching 2 days a week in one term, it would a) probably not be the correct 2 days and b) would likely change the next term. Even for part-time studies at most unis you can't guarantee which days you would be taught on, even for a single term.

Birkbeck is your best option, since they only teach in the evenings which gives you much more flexibility in working during the day (you could even in theory work full time, although on top of the degree studies that'd be a big commitment!). The OU might also be worth considering since that is self directed and you can decide when you want to do your studies during the week around your other commitments (there are scheduled tutorials now and then but they always offer a range of times and days including evenings, weekends etc).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending