The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
MPA-please
That's a first, isn't it? I know I said that before but I am soooo surprised that LSE is giving out rejections already. And I'm even more surprised that you were rejected that early with such a grade!

When did you send your application? Where did you study for your undergraduate (if I'm asking for too much information I'm sorry, just wondering....)?

Where in the U.S. do you study?
Reply 81
lisan
Rejected for both :frown:
For reference I have a 3.71 GPA from the US.

Where in the U.S. did you study?
Reply 82
UCONNER
1) University of Connecticut
2)GPA: 3.85
3) International Political Economy, Political Science and Political Economy
4) Completed my application 12/12/2008

Anyone else apply to the IPE program? What's your GPA or rank?

I am applying to the IPE program. My GPA is 3.9/4. I study at McMaster University in Canada.
Reply 83
Seems to me that there are those who scored very highly and those exceptional candidates with low grades on my course, the admissions process is not something to be taken for granted (no matter what your grades).
Talking to my professors who admit people onto the course, they said they value high marks but also candidates who show potential (not in the academic world but more to do with politics, business, media etc). They are pressured to spew out high calibre people who go on to rival oxbridge graduates in high society.

Hope that helps
I'm starting to imagine then that LSE look to select a mix of candidates.

1) those with stellar grades, work exp, extra curriculars.
2) those with stellar grades
3) those with good grades, work exp, extra curriculars
4) those with good grades

etc etc

Mr_Nerd what course are you studying?
unknown demon
I'm starting to imagine then that LSE look to select a mix of candidates.

1) those with stellar grades, work exp, extra curriculars.
2) those with stellar grades
3) those with good grades, work exp, extra curriculars
4) those with good grades

etc etc

Mr_Nerd what course are you studying?

Don't forget they want students who are very diverse. They love people who speak more than a few languages and have lived everywhere. It was the only application that actually asked about stuff like that.
Multiplexed
Don't forget they want students who are very diverse. They love people who speak more than a few languages and have lived everywhere. It was the only application that actually asked about stuff like that.

Ergo those who can definitely afford to pay the exorbant fees.
Reply 87
unknown demon
Ergo those who can definitely afford to pay the exorbant fees.

plenty of people queing up and they know it, im doing msc regulation (research)

But in most cases my peers are extremely gifted, even without proving it academically so the LSE system does seem to be effective in that sense
Reply 88
I will apply for Conflicts/Human Rights

1. Uni: Prestigious Univeristy (according to LSE :T) Int'l Relations
2. GPA: quite low, 3.52/4.0
3. Still applying
4. 2 internships, two internships were only offered to MAs but somehow, l got great chance!
Reply 89
UCONNER
Where in the U.S. do you study?

I study in Germany actually ;-) The grading here is totally different from GB or the US, 1.0 would be the highest and 4.0 the lowest grade. A first is everything between 1.0 and 1.5, and a 2:1 is everything between a 1.6 and a 2.2 (that's what LSE told me).
Reply 90
~~
Fernandez
I need some advice guys. I applied to LSE in October, my application was sent to the department officially on November 18 (I changed my first choice). Today. I checked my status, and it says that they received a letter from me stating that I have "withdrawn my application". I did no such thing. I am afraid that when this is all cleared up, it will take another 8 weeks of waiting for me to get any response. What should I do? Has this happened to anyone?

Call the LSE and the relevant department.
Reply 92
Fernandez
I need some advice guys. I applied to LSE in October, my application was sent to the department officially on November 18 (I changed my first choice). Today. I checked my status, and it says that they received a letter from me stating that I have "withdrawn my application". I did no such thing. I am afraid that when this is all cleared up, it will take another 8 weeks of waiting for me to get any response. What should I do? Has this happened to anyone?

Maybe this is due to the change in course choice, because it does take some time to reroute the paper work from one department to another. My take is that usually if you do not get your 2nd choice routed until a decision has been made on your 1st. In this case the 2nd choice application process might just have begun. I would not be too surprised. Call them anyway
Reply 93
Has anyone tried to use the automated phone system to check the status of application?

I have, but it always says that my ID number is wrong.
Reply 94
Just got an offer from UCL :-) I know it's not LSE but I am sososo excited coz I'm moving to Loooondon :-) Do you know whether I can keep the UCL place in an intercollegiate hall even if I decide to accept the LSE offer (if I get one that is)?
Has anyone applied for GSS yet?

I did and got rejected, I asked for £20,000 which was a bit stupid so have sent off some modifications to the numbers. Although this is due to a change in circumstance. The GSS is new this year, or rather it is new in terms of being open for all. Was wondering if anyone had any luck with it? Doubt there are many who have even applied mind, I deferred hence my early application.
Reply 96
I have the following problem: the GSS box from my application tracker page completely disappeared about a week ago and i never saw it since. Nothing else changed on the page. Did this happen to anyone else?
Reply 97
timmymagic07

I did and got rejected, I asked for £20,000 which was a bit stupid so have sent off some modifications to the numbers. Although this is due to a change in circumstance. The GSS is new this year, or rather it is new in terms of being open for all. Was wondering if anyone had any luck with it? Doubt there are many who have even applied mind, I deferred hence my early application.

I applied but according to the tracking system will only receive an answer if LSE accepts me
Ah yes - I forgot people will have applied :smile:

How much did everyone apply for then, if you don't mind me asking?

aramat - sounds like something you want to get onto LSE about asap matey
timmymagic07

Applied for GSS, was told by them NOT to apply for a humungus figure. I have no idea why, LSE say they offer up to £10m per year on scholarship etc.

Applied for less than my tuition fees (if I get in) but a big enough amount to ensure I'll be able to pay and attend the course.

I doubt I'll hear anything till January now for sure.

Latest

Trending

Trending