The Student Room Group

Some people have SUCH bad luck...

It really puts into perspective how we should all be much happier than we are. My mum today told me about one of her students:

The woman has just been diagnosed with her second brain tumour (she was in remission). She has 2 severely disabled children, she's poor (on the dole but trying to get out of this), her husband left her last Xmas and on top of it, she was in a car accident the other day and broke her leg.

I mean, that's just terrible. One of them things alone is ridiculously bad luck, but together... :no:

So yeah, no matter what your problems are, life could be worse. Cheer up TSRians, please!

Scroll to see replies

That can't have all happened to one person... Poor woman... I really need to stop complaining... !
adilmorrison
That can't have all happened to one person... Poor woman... I really need to stop complaining... !

I know, I was like: yeah right mum:rolleyes:. It couldn't all happen to just one woman... but it's true.
Bubbles*de*Milo
Cheer up TSRians, please!

We don't just live in black and white, you know.
Pillar of Autumn
We don't just live in black and white, you know.

Meaning? :s-smilie:
I was watching a tv show the other day, "real a & e" or something, and there was a woman on that whose teenage son has been diagnosed with leukemia (sp?). The family had gone away on holiday to the seaside for a few days to try and forget about the cancer and have some family time, the dad ended up getting hit by a wave and breaking his neck, he became completely paralysed from the neck down and was only being kept alive by ventilators/support machines. I felt really sorry for that woman...
toddlers crossword
I was watching a tv show the other day, "real a & e" or something, and there was a woman on that whose teenage son has been diagnosed with leukemia (sp?). The family had gone away on holiday to the seaside for a few days to try and forget about the cancer and have some family time, the dad ended up getting hit by a wave and breaking his neck, he became completely paralysed from the neck down and was only being kept alive by ventilators/support machines. I felt really sorry for that woman...

Damn...
Out of most of the bad things that have happened to me, something good has come from it.
libertine861
Out of most of the bad things that have happened to me, something good has come from it.

Yeah, but what good can come out of a broken leg/disabled children/a brain tumour and a bastard husband?
Reply 9
Bubbles*de*Milo
Yeah, but what good can come out of a broken leg/disabled children/a brain tumour and a bastard husband?

one of life's most troubling questions.

and seriously, that's just awful. :frown: - often I do put my own problems in perspective when I realise I have a lot to be thankful for.
Reply 10
Bad luck isn't fairly distributed, that poor women must have about 3 peoples worth :frown:
Reply 11
Woh-uh that's terrible.

I've just learnt not to take life seriously over the years. I find it a lot better this way.
i thought me having as many injuries/problems as i've had was bad (Neuroblastoma, Gynaecomastia, Lichen Spinulosis, Meningitis, Bronchitis, various broken ankles, feet, toes, arms, wrists, noses, fingers and a torn hip cartilage..and i could list more if i could remember :p:)
but that really puts into perspective how unlucky some people can get. luckily for me, i believe in karma so it tends to balance itself out in my opinion.
Reply 13
Bubbles*de*Milo
It really puts into perspective how we should all be much happier than we are. My mum today told me about one of her students:

The woman has just been diagnosed with her second brain tumour (she was in remission). She has 2 severely disabled children, she's poor (on the dole but trying to get out of this), her husband left her last Xmas and on top of it, she was in a car accident the other day and broke her leg.

This reminds me of one of my boyfriend's students, who also had very bad luck in life. She got married and had a son, but her husband turned out to be severely deranged and tried to murder her and her parents in their home, stabbing them all. Thankfully, they survived. Before going to jail, he managed to burn down her house. As a coping strategy, she went from a size 8 to a size 20. She is now on her own, with health problems cause by the attack and a son who is autistic, has eating problems, and is very difficult to deal with. ****.
Bubbles*de*Milo

Well you can potentially get financial compensation for a broken leg and if her husband was that much of a bastard, she's better off without him. Who knows, the breakup of her marriage might lead to her meeting someone much better, who she will be happier with.

I can't really find many positives in having Cancer or disabled children but I'm sure if she pulls through, it will make her a stronger person. Lance Armstrong said he would never have won the Tour De France if it wasn't for Cancer, as it taught him to plan for a more purposeful living. There are countless examples of Cancer patients doing amazing things and sometimes raising thousands if not millions of pounds.
Thanks for posting this OP, you've really cheered me up.
Dragonfly07
Thanks for posting this OP, you've really cheered me up.

Is that sarcastic? :s-smilie:
Bubbles*de*Milo
Is that sarcastic? :s-smilie:

No, I'm seriously over the moon now. Me and my flatmates are throwing a party to celebrate the woman's bad luck.
Reply 18
That is quite unfortunate for her i must say, but its all part of this life.
Reply 19
adilmorrison

She's quite lucky insofar as she was born in a decent country where her broken bones will be fixed, where she can receive welfare benefits to help her and her children.

The essential point in all this is that good fortune is relative.

Latest

Trending

Trending