The Student Room Group

Confused about my beliefs

I come from an Anglican family and my grandfather was a priest. Growing up, I was always told that I was Anglican and that there was no questioning it. They thought that since I was in their family I had to have the same beliefs as them.

However, after the Queen passed and seeing my family be so distraught, it made me start thinking about what I truly believe in. To be fair, I don’t know if I believe that the AoE is the head of the church for me or that the Queen is the Supreme Governor like my family do. I am still Christian, however I do not think I am Anglican… I don’t know what I am, because I don’t think anyone is the head of the church for me personally. To me, we’re all the same as we are all just humans created by God.

Has anyone been through a similar experience or has any advice?
I've not been through similar but I think it's very natural - and healthy! - to have doubts and questions. Maybe use this as an opportunity to gently probe and explore how you are feeling and what you believe. There's no need to box/shoehorn yourself into a particular denomination - it may be that you're a non-denominational Christian, or that you feel more at home in some other denomination. Keep praying on it, since you still currently identify with Christianity, and try not to let labels or pressure from other people deter you. Be very wary of people who will try and force their opinions onto you :yes:
Reply 2
So, I grew up in a Hindu/Sikh family and found Jesus when I was 10. I had never felt the love of God so clearly in my life than I had at that point. I can tell you one thing and that is to find a true relationship with Christ which it seems as though you are trying to find. It is okay to question, I have questioned my faith many times because I know it is normal to do so- in fact asking God to reveal himself is encouraged in the Bible for “Keep on asking, and you will receive what you ask for. Keep on seeking, and you will find. Keep on knocking, and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks, receives. Everyone who seeks, finds. And to everyone who knocks, the door will be opened' (Matthew 7:7-8).

I would encourage you to read New Testament more than you perhaps do, try to understand what Jesus and his disciples were like and see how you can relate to them. I would also encourage you to read more specifically Paul's letters to the Churches as this may help you see what a healthy Church should look like. This for me helps build my relationship with God, as essentially the Bible is God's love letter to us- Jesus is in fact the Word of God as '...the Word became human and made his home among us. He was full of unfailing love and faithfulness. And we have seen his glory, the glory of the Father’s one and only Son' (John 1:14). Also, I would recommend you watch the Christian series called 'The Chosen' which helps portray the life of Jesus and Jesus' early ministry. Last but not least, try to find a Church that values the TRUTH and not politics or culture, it easy in the times we are living in to be swayed by ideologies of this world instead of having a true, meaningful relationship with Jesus.

I hope this helped :smile:
(edited 1 year ago)
Always trust your gut instinct and listen to what your common sense is telling you. :smile:
Personal faith and religious opinions are always a personal choice, not an inheritance or obligation.

Explore a variety of other churches, sects and christian groups to see which you agree with & enjoy attending the most.
Baptist, catholic, evangelical, lutheran, methodist, othodox, pentecostal, presbyterian and quaker.
Are you interested in having a look at non-trinitarian churches like the mormon church of latter day saints and united church of god?
Experience a variety of beliefs, customs, leadership teachings and worship traditions.

If none personally appeal to you, you may prefer to occasionally worship at a few non-denominational churches with a pleasant atmosphere.
Or could decide that either organised christianity does not appeal to you or you are completely fed up with the modern organised religion system as a whole.

Be very cautious around any church or group that includes the word "fundamentalist" in its name.
Plus be very wary of all cultish fringe groups that have authoritan leaders or separatist agendas where other members seek to control your finances & friendships and isolate you from mainstream uk society.
Remember that there are many who seek to abuse religion as a weapon or means of accumulating personal wealth & control.
Spiritualist churches tend to mostly focus upon spiritualism in connection with the afterlife or establishing contact with deceased persons & pets.
Christian science churches tend to focus upon the controversial teachings of their founder Mary Baker Eddy rather than on the bible or Christ.
Good luck!
Moved to faith and spirituality

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending