The Student Room Group

By when should I book accom?

As the title suggests :biggrin: I have 3/5 offers and I'm still waiting on two more, but unis have already started sending me mails to peruse their accommodation. Aren't you only able to book accom after your becomes unconditional firm? Or is there some sort of reservation system prior to that? By when should I finalize this?

Just a little confused :tongue: (I'm sure there's a megathread for this topic somewhere in here; I just haven't dug deep enough :lol:)
Original post by sleep_supremacy
As the title suggests :biggrin: I have 3/5 offers and I'm still waiting on two more, but unis have already started sending me mails to peruse their accommodation. Aren't you only able to book accom after your becomes unconditional firm? Or is there some sort of reservation system prior to that? By when should I finalize this?

Just a little confused :tongue: (I'm sure there's a megathread for this topic somewhere in here; I just haven't dug deep enough :lol:)

Hi @sleep_supremacy :biggrin: sorry, can only answer for Kingston Uni but here you have to have made Kingston your firm choice before you can apply for accommodation (like you said). However, it can be a bit of a rush so I'd definitely recommend getting as much info about your potential accom options so you know exactly where you're going to apply once you firm up your choices :smile: And apply ASAP after you confirm your choices!! x
We need to wait for the universities to open for student accommodation registration/booking + we can only apply for accommodation with the uni that is our firm choice. Some universities also allow insurance applicants to register/book student accommodation.
The emails I get from universities re student accommodation are general ones, thanking me for applying to their universities and congratulating me for receiving an offer, and meanwhile, browse our student accommodation etc

PS: Student accommodation registration/booking is done before results day. Allocation is normally after UK A levels results day i.e. 17th Aug 2023. (I did read somewhere that students holding unconditional offers may get them earlier in July)
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by BubblesBB
We need to wait for the universities to open for student accommodation registration/booking + we can only apply for accommodation with the uni that is our firm choice. Some universities also allow insurance applicants to register/book student accommodation.

Thanks! :smile: So I’m expecting things to get busy by the end of March, or does it happen earlier? I don’t want to lose out on accom, I heard it sells real fast :redface:
Original post by Kingston Reps
Hi @sleep_supremacy :biggrin: sorry, can only answer for Kingston Uni but here you have to have made Kingston your firm choice before you can apply for accommodation (like you said). However, it can be a bit of a rush so I'd definitely recommend getting as much info about your potential accom options so you know exactly where you're going to apply once you firm up your choices :smile: And apply ASAP after you confirm your choices!! x

Thanks! Yeah, having a firm offer seems to be the uniform first step. I’m just worried that the accom I want will be gone before I can do anything :redface:
Thanks! :smile: So I’m expecting things to get busy by the end of March, or does it happen earlier? I don’t want to lose out on accom, I heard it sells real fast :redface:

Like you, it makes me anxious too. But there is priority given to international students because it's not like we have a home that we can commute to and fro! I haven't heard of any friends not getting any student accommodation in their first year.
Like you, it makes me anxious too. But there is priority given to international students because it's not like we have a home that we can commute to and fro! I haven't heard of any friends not getting any student accommodation in their first year.

The problem isn’t not getting accom. I’m worried I won’t get the accom I want :redface: A couple unis have opened their accom bookings already, and I’m worried all the good ones will be gone by the end of April (since I haven’t gotten all uni decisions back).
The problem isn’t not getting accom. I’m worried I won’t get the accom I want :redface: A couple unis have opened their accom bookings already, and I’m worried all the good ones will be gone by the end of April (since I haven’t gotten all uni decisions back).

I was worried too but was well assured by some members here that most unis do not allocate on first come first served basis and early registration does not translate to guarantee of getting first choice either. But I get all the anxiety you are feeling, because I am too ... just lesser now than before.
I was worried too but was well assured by some members here that most unis do not allocate on first come first served basis and early registration does not translate to guarantee of getting first choice either. But I get all the anxiety you are feeling, because I am too ... just lesser now than before.

I’ve heard that too, but I’m not sure if that applies to every uni? (More importantly, does ur not apply to any unis I’ve applied to? I wonder if there’s a way to find out?) Since offer holder days run till the end of April, I’m assuming it’d be fine to book accom then too?
I’ve heard that too, but I’m not sure if that applies to every uni? (More importantly, does ur not apply to any unis I’ve applied to? I wonder if there’s a way to find out?) Since offer holder days run till the end of April, I’m assuming it’d be fine to book accom then too?

I recall you have an offer from KCL. KCL's registration opens in March. There is a deadline for getting guaranteed accommodation.
https://www.kcl.ac.uk/accommodation
https://www.kcl.ac.uk/accommodation/how-to-apply

Have you since heard back from Uni of Bath? Bath student accommodation does not open till 18th May. More info is available here https://www.bath.ac.uk/corporate-information/important-dates-for-undergraduate-applicants-starting-in-2023/
I recall you have an offer from KCL. KCL's registration opens in March. There is a deadline for getting guaranteed accommodation.
https://www.kcl.ac.uk/accommodation
https://www.kcl.ac.uk/accommodation/how-to-apply

Have you since heard back from Uni of Bath? Bath student accommodation does not open till 18th May. More info is available here https://www.bath.ac.uk/corporate-information/important-dates-for-undergraduate-applicants-starting-in-2023/

I’m aware of KCL (I actually posted it on the offer holders group :biggrin:). Not sure about Sheffield or Birmingham. (I’ll check if they have a specific department/person I can contact for asking them when accom opens.) And no, I haven’t heard back from Bath yet :redface: Thanks so much for the links though! :smile:

Hi sleep_supremacy,
As the other posters have said, don't be too worried about getting your accommodation sorted. It's never too early to start looking though, especially if you want to check out all of your options. If you're set on staying in university owned halls, the date to apply for your accommodation will vary but from my memory, when I started university, it was before I had my unconditional offer. It may also be worth looking at alternatives, just in case you're not happy with the accommodation you are offered. Private student accommodations are fairly popular with first years and include additional facilities that make them still very social.

Hope this helps!

- Sophie
Reply 13

Thank u so much for this! As an international student who registered their interest after the deadline but before Ucas results day, i hope to find something decent! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending