The Student Room Group

US school district directs teachers to lie to parents about their childrens wellbeing

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hotpud
Hmmm - I don't think that is actually the case. Children still have freedom of will and should not be put in a position where their behaviour is imposed by others. So for example, if a parent were forcing their child not to be gay, that would be a massive red flag and a safeguarding issue that could see authorities intervene. Either way, the point to take home is that these cases are delicate and each case is unique.

As ever the press and certain individuals are making it into a black and white, right vs. wrong where as the reality is it is multi shades of grey.

I agree that each case is unique - but that’s sort of my point. This sort of policy doesn’t recognise that.

They have a one-size-fits-all approach to guide all children who express that they feel the opposite gender to begin a social transition. Whereas with parents involved who are focused on their child specifically, it’s more plausible to have a tailored approach.
Original post by SHallowvale
No it's not. Changing one's pronouns and the name people refer to you is not something a parent should have to consent to, it's not something a parent should decide for their child.

Again, so what? Parent's shouldn't have absolute power over their children or their privacy, children aren't their property. And they absolutely should not have the power to decide whether their child is LGBT. If the school "overrules" a homophobic or transphobic parent then so be it, such a parent does not have 'the best interests of the child in mind'.

That’s just you deciding what’s in the best interests of other people’s children again. It’s not your place to do that. If their parents disagree with you then it’s their view that matters, not yours or the school’s. The only exception is if parents are breaking the law, and even the law seems to side with parents on this one.

Also I don’t know why you keep repeating the straw-man of “parents don’t have the right to decide if their children are LGBT”. Nobody’s talking about that. The issue is what to do about it e.g. should they be socially transitioned, should they get puberty blockers, should they get reassignment surgery etc. and nobody has a higher right than parents when it comes to making any of these decisions.

It seems to be a recurring theme with the LGBT movement that it seeks to have influence over other people’s children. Parents need to give consent for so many trivial issues relating to children, but when it comes to anything to do with LGBT, now your opinion matters more? It’s absurd.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by tazarooni89
That’s just you deciding what’s in the best interests of other people’s children. It’s not your place to do that. If their parents disagree with you then it’s their view that matters, not yours or the school’s. Nobody has a right to overrule them other than the law, and even the law (thankfully) seems to be on the side of parents on this one.

It is a rather unfortunate feature of the LGBT movement that it so often seems to think it ought to have a say in matters pertaining to other people’s children.

And? You are doing exactly the same thing, and you've yet to give any reason why the whims of the parents should superscede everything else.
And? You are doing exactly the same thing

Not at all. I’m saying that children’s parents have the highest right to decide what is in their best interests (within the limits of the law of course); not you, me or anyone else. If they think the child should socially transition then that’s fine, the school can help facilitate it. Otherwise they shouldn’t.

It is you who seems to think that your views supersede the parents, and that you get to decide where parental consent is “genuinely important” and where it isn’t.

you've yet to give any reason why the whims of the parents should superscede everything else.

For the same reason why teachers need to get parental consent to do pretty much anything with their children (get them vaccinated, take them on a field trip, publish photos of them etc.) instead of first saying “let’s check if ShallowVale from TSR thinks parental consent is genuinely important here!”
(edited 1 year ago)
Not quite sure what this is about because you didn't link anything in the OP but from context I'm guessing some school somewhere in the US has some policy relating to not outing trans students. Besides the fact that you're making a thread with the topic "some TikTok I saw" you know you can link tiktoks? So I don't have to Google keywords to figure out what you're even talking about.
Not at all. I’m saying that children’s parents have the highest right to decide what is in their best interests (within the limits of the law of course); not you, me or anyone else. If they think the child should socially transition then that’s fine, the school can help facilitate it. Otherwise they shouldn’t.

It is you who seems to think that your views supersede the parents, and that you get to decide where parental consent is “genuinely important” and where it isn’t.

By deciding that children's parents have the highest right to decide what is in their child's best interests, you are deciding what's in the best interests of other people's children (i.e. the whims of their parents). You're doing the same thing I'm doing, you just don't realise it because you're assuming that whatever the parents want is the default and should come before all else.

For the same reason why teachers need to get parental consent to do pretty much anything with their children (get them vaccinated, take them on a field trip, publish photos of them etc.)

Except they don't. Do schools need parental permission for a student to join a book club? Or a chess club? Or some other form of hobby club? If these are within school hours then they don't need consent, and even if they are outside of school hours they may not need consent either. The examples you've given here are separate to that and I've already given reasons why they require parental consent (whereas other things wouldn't) in an earlier post.

instead of first saying “let’s check if ShallowVale from TSR thinks parental consent is genuinely important here!”

Such a ridiculous thing to say, especially for you.
Reply 46
Original post by Napp
Suffice it to say, I have mentioned TikTok nowhere, not once, not ever.

You used the word tiktok in your post. I'm seeing a pattern developing here where you say something and then deny ever saying it. You have done it with me a couple of times.
Most odd.

It’s rather amusing when someone like you tries to make a smartass comment and does little more than come across as illiterate 😂

Kind of ironic, given what just happened.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 47
I would strongly disagree; they’re not reasonable at all.

A person who is a minor is ultimately the responsibility of their parents, not their school. It’s not the school’s place to deceive parents when it comes to information regarding their own children, as if they know better and care more for the well-being of the child.

It turns out they may also be illegal as well. Plenty of lawsuits are already being filed against these sorts of guidelines in many states and some have been won.

When a child is at school they are the responsibility of the school staff. They are in place of the parents. That's what "in loco parentis" means - a person or body other than the parent assumes legal responsibility for the child.

A parent's rights over their child are not absolute and unlimited. They are not their property to do with as they see fit. Those days are long gone - thankfully.
Reply 48
It’s even more stupid to assume that all parents are violent to their children and pose a safeguarding risk until proven otherwise. What next? Lie to parents about what grades their child is getting in class tests and homework assignments on the off chance that they’re the type who would beat up their child for getting bad ones?

Sure, a minority of parents are indeed abusive to their children. But in those exceptional cases we’ve got bigger problems than worrying about whether we should let them know their child came out as trans. Then we should have instead been long ago considering whether they’re fit to raise children and whether social services should be taking those children into custody. But in general, it is parents who have highest responsibility and authority for looking after the interests of a child. Schools educate and raise children on behalf of the parents; not vice-versa.

By deceiving parents you’re unlikely to be doing the children any favours; more likely you’ll just be preventing parents from stepping in and deciding what help and guidance should be given to their child at a time when they need it most. That’s obvious to everyone when it comes to kids’ grades; it should be even more obvious when considering something far more consequential like transitioning to a new gender.

If a child asks their teacher not to reveal it to their parents, it seems likely that there is an issue that could compromise the child's wellbeing - which I'm sure we both agree is the paramount consideration here, rather than the feelings of the parents.

Trans children whose parents are fine with it would not ask their school to withhold that information. Seems pretty straightforward.
Reply 49
Original post by anarchism101
No, they do so on behalf of the children themselves. Because it's in the child's interest to receive an education, not because it's in their parents' interest for them to do so.

The old idea that children are the parents' property still seems to be lurking in some dark corners of society.
By deciding that children's parents have the highest right to decide what is in their child's best interests, you are deciding what's in the best interests of other people's children (i.e. the whims of their parents). You're doing the same thing I'm doing, you just don't realise it because you're assuming that whatever the parents want is the default and should come before all else.

Not at all. I am saying that the parents have the highest right to decide what is in their child’s best interests - higher than you, me or anyone else. I can’t also be saying that I have the highest right to decide what is in their best interests. Those would be completely contradictory statements.

It’s obvious that parents’ decisions are the default and come before yours. They are the ones who are responsible for the child and bear some relevance to their life. If parents think that X is not in the child’s best interests and you think that it is, why on earth should it be your opinion that gets enacted? Who even are you? By the same token there are millions of other strangers on the internet who would disagree with you and think that X is not in the child’s best interests; why not take their opinion?

Except they don't. Do schools need parental permission for a student to join a book club? Or a chess club? Or some other form of hobby club? If these are within school hours then they don't need consent, and even if they are outside of school hours they may not need consent either. The examples you've given here are separate to that and I've already given reasons why they require parental consent (whereas other things wouldn't) in an earlier post.

Of course they do. Sending a child to a school is taken as implied consent to be involved in lessons, activities and other things. A parent also has the right to revoke that consent at any time.

A school cannot say “this child will do Chess Club whether the parent likes it or not”. The maximum they can do is say that “chess is compulsory for students at this school, if you don’t want your child to do it you will have to take them out of this school”.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 51
And it’s also a good thing that I don’t assume that parents always know and care about what’s best for their child, and recognise that there are exceptional cases.

A student’s social upbringing, well-being and mental health (amongst many other things) are also directly relevant to their time in school. Grades are not the only thing children go to school for.

No, I’m saying that in general, i.e. for the majority of children who are not believed to have abusive parents, schools should not make it a point to deceive parents or conceal information pertaining to the child by default. Parents have a greater right than the school does to determine the appropriate course of action. For example they might not think that the school helping their child to socially transition by using different names/pronouns etc. is the best idea, for their particular child and should be able to veto that.

For the minority of children who do have concerns about their parents being violent or abusive, disclosure or non-disclosure of a transgender identity is hardly the pressing issue. Even if you don’t reveal the child’s trans identity, who knows what else they could get beaten up for? The primary issue here is getting social services involved to see if they need to remove the child from those parents’ custody. But this minority shouldn’t dictate how the majority are dealt with.

And where there is any doubt whatsoever, the wellbeing of the child takes precedence. The simple fact that there are millions of parents who believe their children should be prosecuted for being LGBT, and some even think they should be killed, is evidence enough that such measures are necessary.
Original post by WADR
And where there is any doubt whatsoever, the wellbeing of the child takes precedence. The simple fact that there are millions of parents who believe their children should be prosecuted for being LGBT, and some even think they should be killed, is evidence enough that such measures are necessary.

Why should this be assumed of parents from beforehand though?

There are also plenty of parents who beat their child for getting bad grades; it doesn’t mean the school lies about the students’ grades to their parents “just in case”. If they had evidence that the parents were of this nature then yes, sure.
Reply 53
Parents rank higher than schools in that hierarchy.

Not necessarily. Schools, government bodies, the courts and even the child themselves can all rank higher than the parents under some circumstances. This issue is clearly one of them.

Just to be clear, what practical purpose do you think would be served by informing devoutly religious conservative parents that their child was trans, when the child was adamant that they don't want the parents to know? How would it improve the wellbeing or be in the best interests of the child?
Reply 54
The parent of a child is in fact a very important person to insist that their consent is necessary for something like social transition.

If you’re happy for schools to do something to your own child without your consent that’s fine; not when it comes to everyone else’s!

Should parents be informed of and give permission for every new idea that the child is exposed to?

Deception makes a difference because it is intentional, and it effectively overrules parents, who no doubt do not want to be deceived. The school is in no place to do that.

It would only be deception if the parent asks if the child is trans and the school says they are not. Simply not revealing something that has not been asked about is not deception. I haven't told you what I had for lunch. That is not deception. If you asked me what I had and I told you I had pizza, that would be deception.
Reply 55
If the school "overrules" a homophobic or transphobic parent then so be it, such a parent does not have 'the best interests of the child in mind'.

I think this is the key issue here. For some religious conservative parents they see "curing their chid of their sickness" to be in the child's best interests, despite such treatment being universally condemned by medical, psychological and social experts (and illegal in some countries).
Reply 56
Original post by hotpud
It is simple curtesy and accepting everyone within a school community for who they wish to be, rather than the identity that is effectively imposed on them by others.

There is a certain irony in those who demand that their beliefs and lifestyles be respected and accommodated for, yet refuse to extend that same principle to certain others, including their own children.
Reply 57
I agree that each case is unique - but that’s sort of my point. This sort of policy doesn’t recognise that.

They have a one-size-fits-all approach to guide all children who express that they feel the opposite gender to begin a social transition. Whereas with parents involved who are focused on their child specifically, it’s more plausible to have a tailored approach.

Wrong. The school can inform the parents if the child agrees - so the policy does cater for different circumstances. Your proposal, that the school always informed the parents, regardless of the child's wishes, is actually the "one size fits all" policy that could compromise the child's best interests.
Reply 58
Not at all. I am saying that the parents have the highest right to decide what is in their child’s best interests - higher than you, me or anyone else. I can’t also be saying that I have the highest right to decide what is in their best interests. Those would be completely contradictory statements.

It’s obvious that parents’ decisions are the default and come before yours. They are the ones who are responsible for the child and bear some relevance to their life. If parents think that X is not in the child’s best interests and you think that it is, why on earth should it be your opinion that gets enacted? Who even are you? By the same token there are millions of other strangers on the internet who would disagree with you and think that X is not in the child’s best interests; why not take their opinion?

Of course they do. Sending a child to a school is taken as implied consent to be involved in lessons, activities and other things. A parent also has the right to revoke that consent at any time.

A school cannot say “this child will do Chess Club whether the parent likes it or not”. The maximum they can do is say that “chess is compulsory for students at this school, if you don’t want your child to do it you will have to take them out of this school”.

You seem to have been misinformed. Parents do not have an absolute right of control over their children. They are not the absolute arbiter of what is in their best interests. It is the law that decides, and the law has decided that in certain circumstances, people and bodies other than parents assume responsibility. If a parent thinks it is in their child's best interests to be withdrawn from certain lessons, the law overrules them. You may not agree with that, but your objection is irrelevant.
Reply 59
Why should this be assumed of parents from beforehand though?

There are also plenty of parents who beat their child for getting bad grades; it doesn’t mean the school lies about the students’ grades to their parents “just in case”. If they had evidence that the parents were of this nature then yes, sure.

Beating a child for bad grades is illegal, just as beating a child for being trans is. In both cases the school would inform the police/social services. It would seem reasonable to withhold the information in both cases.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending