The Student Room Group

US school district directs teachers to lie to parents about their childrens wellbeing

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tazarooni89
Not at all. I am saying that the parents have the highest right to decide what is in their child’s best interests - higher than you, me or anyone else. I can’t also be saying that I have the highest right to decide what is in their best interests. Those would be completely contradictory statements.

The sentence "the parents have the highest right to decide what is in their child's best interest" is itself a decision ion what is in the best interests of other people's children. After all, someone saying "the school have the highest right to decide what is in their child's best interest" is also a decision in what is in the best interests of other people's children. You are deciding what is in the best interests of the children: what their parents think. As I said, you're doing exactly the same thing I'm doing.

It’s obvious that parents’ decisions are the default and come before yours. They are the ones who are responsible for the child and bear some relevance to their life. If parents think that X is not in the child’s best interests and you think that it is, why on earth should it be your opinion that gets enacted? Who even are you? By the same token there are millions of other strangers on the internet who would disagree with you and think that X is not in the child’s best interests; why not take their opinion?

Being responsible for the child is not the same thing as having full control over everything the child does or is. Who are you to decide that parents should basically own their children as slaves? This is the sort of attitude that toxic parents have, that their child must obey everything they say, do everything they want them to do and be everything that they want them to be. I saw this at school with obsessive religious parents (and even some non-religious parents) and it's absolutely appalling. It's essentially abusive. Parents should be responsible for their child's safety, they should not have absolute control over every single thing their child does or who their child is.

Of course they do. Sending a child to a school is taken as implied consent to be involved in lessons, activities and other things. A parent also has the right to revoke that consent at any time.

A school cannot say “this child will do Chess Club whether the parent likes it or not”. The maximum they can do is say that “chess is compulsory for students at this school, if you don’t want your child to do it you will have to take them out of this school”.

Insofar as removing the student from the school, sure, but that's sort of besides the point as far as what we're talking about. If a child wants to attend an LGBT club at school they don't need permission from their parents, and the school doesn't need them to get permission from their parents.
Original post by WADR
I think this is the key issue here. For some religious conservative parents they see "curing their chid of their sickness" to be in the child's best interests, despite such treatment being universally condemned by medical, psychological and social experts (and illegal in some countries).

Exactly. 'But what if the parents disagree?' is the last excuse homophobes use to justify their homophobia, since all else has completely failed them.
Original post by SHallowvale
The sentence "the parents have the highest right to decide what is in their child's best interest" is itself a decision ion what is in the best interests of other people's children. After all, someone saying "the school have the highest right to decide what is in their child's best interest" is also a decision in what is in the best interests of other people's children. You are deciding what is in the best interests of the children: what their parents think. As I said, you're doing exactly the same thing I'm doing.

No it’s not. The statement “the parents have the highest right to decide what is in a child’s best interests” is exactly that; a statement on who has the highest right to decide. It is not a statement on what is actually constitutes “the child’s best interests”; that is for them to decide, not me (or you).

Being responsible for the child is not the same thing as having full control over everything the child does or is. Who are you to decide that parents should basically own their children as slaves? This is the sort of attitude that toxic parents have, that their child must obey everything they say, do everything they want them to do and be everything that they want them to be. I saw this at school with obsessive religious parents (and even some non-religious parents) and it's absolutely appalling. It's essentially abusive. Parents should be responsible for their child's safety, they should not have absolute control over every single thing their child does or who their child is.

Insofar as removing the student from the school, sure, but that's sort of besides the point as far as what we're talking about. If a child wants to attend an LGBT club at school they don't need permission from their parents, and the school doesn't need them to get permission from their parents.

This is a complete straw man. Nobody is saying that a child needs to get permission from their parents for every little thing, or that parents own their children as slaves.The point is that a third party (such as a school, or you) can’t come along and say to the parents my view of what’s in the child’s best interests outranks yours”.

For example even if a doctor wants a child to get vaccinated against COVID but the parents don’t agree with that, then it won’t happen, and it is illegal for the doctor to still do it (no matter how much the rest of us might all agree that the doctor knows better).
Original post by WADR
You seem to have been misinformed. Parents do not have an absolute right of control over their children. They are not the absolute arbiter of what is in their best interests. It is the law that decides, and the law has decided that in certain circumstances, people and bodies other than parents assume responsibility. If a parent thinks it is in their child's best interests to be withdrawn from certain lessons, the law overrules them. You may not agree with that, but your objection is irrelevant.

I’ve already said that earlier on the thread; parents are the highest authority over children as long as it’s within the limits of law.

And since you mention law; there are lawsuits ongoing in several states, but the ones which have concluded have by and large found that what the schools are doing here is illegal.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by WADR
Beating a child for bad grades is illegal, just as beating a child for being trans is. In both cases the school would inform the police/social services. It would seem reasonable to withhold the information in both cases.

I have already agreed with this
Original post by WADR
Wrong. The school can inform the parents if the child agrees - so the policy does cater for different circumstances. Your proposal, that the school always informed the parents, regardless of the child's wishes, is actually the "one size fits all" policy that could compromise the child's best interests.

My proposal is not that the school always informs parents. My proposal is that the school simply leaves the issue alone and carries doing their job of teaching.

What they are guided to do at the moment is put the child on a path to social transition and make sure the parents don’t find out about it.
Original post by WADR
It would only be deception if the parent asks if the child is trans and the school says they are not. Simply not revealing something that has not been asked about is not deception. I haven't told you what I had for lunch. That is not deception. If you asked me what I had and I told you I had pizza, that would be deception.

It is also deception if the school starts to socially transition children to a new gender and their policy explicitly requires them to make sure that the parents don’t find out.
No it’s not. The statement “the parents have the highest right to decide what is in a child’s best interests” is exactly that; a statement on who has the highest right to decide. It is not a statement on what is actually constitutes “the child’s best interests”; that is for them to decide, not me (or you).

But you are again deciding here that whatever is in the best interest of the child is what their parents think is in their best interest. I don't understand your confusion, this has been the running assumption of your argument this entire thread.

In one of your first replies you clearly decided that parents know what's best for their children: "It’s not the school’s place to deceive parents when it comes to information regarding their own children, as if they know better and care more for the well-being of the child."

In a later reply you re-affirmed this point. On abusive parents knowing what's best about their children, you said "And it’s also a good thing that I don’t assume that parents always know and care about what’s best for their child, and recognise that there are exceptional cases". You're clearly making the decision that non-abusive parents know best for their children.

This is a complete straw man. Nobody is saying that a child needs to get permission from their parents for every little thing, or that parents own their children as slaves.The point is that a third party (such as a school, or you) can’t come along and say to the parents my view of what’s in the child’s best interests outranks yours”.

For example even if a doctor wants a child to get vaccinated against COVID but the parents don’t agree with that, then it won’t happen, and it is illegal for the doctor to still do it (no matter how much the rest of us might all agree that the doctor knows better).

It's not a straw man, it's a natural consequence of what you are proposing. You're framing this using terms like "best interests" to make it seem nice and cushy when it's actually not, what you're describing is a situation where parents have complete control over what their child does, who they can interact with, how they can identify, etc. After all, in the event that the school or the child does even the smallest thing that the parents might disagree with, you can always fall back on the 'I have know what their best interests are, not you! You have to respect my decision!' argument. This only leads to one conclusion: that parents have full control over their children, irrespective of what anyone else thinks or wants (particularly the child themself). If someone even the age of 16 isn't allowed to socially transition without their parent's consent then you don't have a child, you have property.
(edited 1 year ago)
But you are again deciding here that whatever is in the best interest of the child is what their parents think is in their best interest.

Not at all. I could easily think the parents are wrong about what is in the child’s best interests. But their opinion would still supersede mine.

Whereas you would have your opinion supersede that of the parents. You think you get to decide (completely arbitrarily) when parental consent is important and when it isn’t, and expect people to follow that arbitrary decision. And you’re not even denying it. Why? Who even are you? Why should your opinion take precedence over the parents, or over any of the other random strangers on the internet for that matter?

What I am saying is nothing like what you are.

It's not a straw man, it's a natural consequence of what you are proposing. You're framing this using terms like "best interests" to make it seem nice and cushy when it's actually not, what you're describing is a situation where parents have complete control over what their child does, who they can interact with, how they can identify, etc. After all, in the event that the school or the child does even the smallest thing that the parents might disagree with, you can always fall back on the 'I have know what their best interests are, not you! You have to respect my decision!' argument. This only leads to one conclusion: that parents have full control over their children, irrespective of what anyone else thinks or wants (particularly the child themself). If someone even the age of 16 isn't allowed to socially transition without their parent's consent then you don't have a child, you have property

Still a complete straw man. We’re not talking merely about a child doing something against their wishes. We’re specifically talking about a third party inserting themselves into the decision about what the child should do, and trying to secretively influence the outcome for their own ends. It doesn’t take a genius to see the difference.
(edited 1 year ago)
No I am not. I could disagree with parents about what is in the best interests of their child. But if we disagree, then their opinion should supersede mine. Whereas you seem to think that if you disagree with the parents, then your opinion should supersede theirs. Why? Of what relevant are you to their child?

You’re confusing “knowing what’s in the child’s best interests” with “having the right to decide what the child’s best interests are”.

In previous posts the two were synonymous, and I even gave examples where you explicitly said parents have the best interests of their child in mind.

Still a complete straw man. We’re not talking merely about a child doing something against their wishes. We’re specifically talking about a third party inserting themselves into the decision about what the child should do, and trying to secretively influence the outcome for their own ends - something which courts are increasingly finding to be illegal.

This has nothing to do with just a child wanting to do something vs. a parent saying they can’t. That is a totally different scenario.

It's not a straw man. The reason we've got to this stage is because of what you're saying here and why you think it's wrong. You care that a third party has inserted themselves into the decision about what the child should do, and you believe that is wrong because what they are doing superscedes the wishes of the parent. This doesn't change anything that I said previously since, in the example we've been using, the school is simply the middle man. The overall implication is that the child should obey whatever the parent wants, irrespective of their own wishes. A school which refers to a child by a different name or gender and does not tell this to the parent would be doing what the child wanted, and to say that parents should be able to stop the school doing this would be to deny the child the right to choose their own name and gender and to have privacy; how could they have these rights if you yourself say that parental consent is required? Apply this more generally and you end up with what I said before: the child as property.
In previous posts the two were synonymous, and I even gave examples where you explicitly said parents have the best interests of their child in mind.

No, the two are clearly not synonymous. It’s hardly difficult to understand the idea of defending the parents’ right to make a decision for their children even if one disagrees with that decision.

That’s quite different from what you’re doing; namely trying to give yourself the right to make that decision. The real question (which you have repeatedly failed to answer) is why of all people it should be your decision that gets given priority.

It's not a straw man. The reason we've got to this stage is because of what you're saying here and why you think it's wrong. You care that a third party has inserted themselves into the decision about what the child should do, and you believe that is wrong because what they are doing superscedes the wishes of the parent. This doesn't change anything that I said previously since, in the example we've been using, the school is simply the middle man. The overall implication is that the child should obey whatever the parent wants, irrespective of their own wishes. A school which refers to a child by a different name or gender and does not tell this to the parent would be doing what the child wanted, and to say that parents should be able to stop the school doing this would be to deny the child the right to choose their own name and gender and to have privacy; how could they have these rights if you yourself say that parental consent is required? Apply this more generally and you end up with what I said before: the child as property.

The whole point is that the school should not be the middle man. Firstly there’s no reason why third parties should just be inserting themselves into issues that aren’t their business of their own accord, and secondly the school is an agent of the parents, appointed by them, not the child. So it’s even less their place to start deceiving parents with respect to the child.

That bears no relation to the idea that the child must always succumb to parental control. No, this is entirely about the conduct of third parties who just want to push their own agendas and feel that targeting children is an easy way to do it.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 71
My proposal is not that the school always informs parents. My proposal is that the school simply leaves the issue alone and carries doing their job of teaching.

What they are guided to do at the moment is put the child on a path to social transition and make sure the parents don’t find out about it.

So you agree that the school should not inform the parents about what their child may have revealed about their sexuality to the school, if the child does not want them to.
Reply 72
It is also deception if the school starts to socially transition children to a new gender and their policy explicitly requires them to make sure that the parents don’t find out.

You make it sound as if the school has a policy of socially transitioning pupils against their will. That is not what is happening. Everything is done at the request of the child. And if the child asks the school not to reveal their requests too their parents, it is only reasonable for the school to abide by that unless there is some evidence that doing so would compromise the child's wellbeing.
Original post by WADR
So you agree that the school should not inform the parents about what their child may have revealed about their sexuality to the school, if the child does not want them to.

They don’t particularly need to go out of their way to inform parents, especially if the child has asked them not to. But they also shouldn’t be coming up with their own plans of action for what to do about it (i.e. socially transitioning a child to a new gender) and deliberately keeping their actions secret from parents and deceiving them about it.

In some cases there may be concerns about the child’s mental health though. For example transgender people have a very high propensity for considering or attempting suicide. In that case they should make it a point to inform the parents regardless of whether the child wants that or not.
Reply 74
Original post by Crazed cat lady
Most of us don’t share your obsession with identity politics, so we don’t spend our time trawling the internet looking for the latest thing to outrage us.

So it is understandable that most of us wouldn’t know that libs of TikTok was a Twitter channel for culture war fanatics with far too much time on their hands.

And yet here you are, sweetie. I have yet to see you not offer your oh so novel wittisisms on the matter.
Suffice it to say, your opinion is of limited value here.
Oh is that what "libs of TikTok" is?

@Napp why on Earth would you expect anyone here to know this? You think I'm illiterate for not knowing about some Twitter account? 😂

Indeed, well theyve managed to make most major news sites by this point.. be it praise or reviling them, 6 of 1 and and all that. However, i called you illiterate for not reading the post before going off on one.
Reply 75
They don’t particularly need to go out of their way to inform parents, especially if the child has asked them not to. But they also shouldn’t be coming up with their own plans of action for what to do about it (i.e. socially transitioning a child to a new gender) and deliberately keeping their actions secret from parents and deceiving them about it.

By "coming up with their own plans of action for what to do about it" you seem to mean "accepting the child's request". Which you have already admitted is a reasonable approach in is likely in the child's best interests if they fear an adverse reaction from their parents.

In some cases there may be concerns about the child’s mental health though. For example transgender people have a very high propensity for considering or attempting suicide. In that case they should make it a point to inform the parents regardless of whether the child wants that or not.

The reason trans, gay and LGBTQ in general are more likely to attempt suicide is because of the prejudice and intolerance they face from society, family, etc - not because they are LGBTQ. If the reaction of their parents is likely to increase this risk, then the parents should not be informed - in the best interests of the child.
However you slice your arguments, they still come out as favouring the parents' beliefs over the child's wellbeing. Remember that the child's wellbeing is paramount in all considerations. The feelings of the parents are some way behind.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by WADR
By "coming up with their own plans of action for what to do about it" you seem to mean "accepting the child's request". Which you have already admitted is a reasonable approach in is likely in the child's best interests if they fear an adverse reaction from their parents.

The reason trans, gay and LGBTQ in general are more likely to attempt suicide is because of the prejudice and intolerance they face from society, family, etc - not because they are LGBTQ. If the reaction of their parents is likely to increase this risk, then the parents should not be informed - in the best interests of the child.
However you slice your arguments, they still come out as favouring the parents' beliefs over the child's wellbeing. Remember that the child's wellbeing is paramount in all considerations. The feelings of the parents are some way behind.

Just to add there is a strong element of this in the U.K. as well. The social care sector would rather keep the child with the parents at all costs, even if those parents are known drug dealers, alcoholics or prostitutes. No matter what the social care sector here tries to keep families together when anyone with half a brain knows that those children would be much better off with people other than their parents making their decisions.
The whole point is that the school should not be the middle man. Firstly there’s no reason why third parties should just be inserting themselves into issues that aren’t their business of their own accord, and secondly the school is an agent of the parents, appointed by them, not the child. So it’s even less their place to start deceiving parents with respect to the child.

That bears no relation to the idea that the child must always succumb to parental control. No, this is entirely about the conduct of third parties who just want to push their own agendas and feel that targeting children is an easy way to do it.

If a student wants to socially transition then the school is not 'inserting themselves' into their business, they are simply reacting to the way the student wants to be treated. It's not 'pushing their own agenda' to refer to a student how the student wants to be referred to. To say that the school (or any other third party, like a friend or other family member) can't react in that way without parental permission is to do exactly what I said earlier: to rob the student over any autonomy they have and any control over their own identity. Your running argument so far has fundamenetally been that whatever the parents want is paramount, you have given absolutely no exception to where the students wishes should come before those of the parents or where parental consent should not be required. To you, the parents always come first and whatever the parents want is all that matters. I stand by what I said, you want children to be treated as property.
Original post by Napp
Indeed, well theyve managed to make most major news sites by this point.. be it praise or reviling them, 6 of 1 and and all that. However, i called you illiterate for not reading the post before going off on one.

I hadn't heard about "Libs of TikTok" before reading this thread, and only realised that they were a Twitter account when someone else (not you) pointed that out. All I noticed is that you mentioned TikTok in your OP (which you later denied, for some reason) and then asked for a source.

It's not "going off on one" to ask for a source, and your comments about me being "illiterate" are completely unwarranted. Please try to be civil since I've been nothing but civil to you this thread. 🤔
Future historians will look back on this period and classify the obsession with identify politics as an example of mass hysteria.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending