The Student Room Group

international student scholarship

Can I actually apply for scholarships if I don’t need them?
My parent kept telling me to try but I know I don’t stand a chance because most universities require a*a*a.
One of the universities I’m applying to requires at least a*aa to apply for scholarship but it says students need to have a genuine need for a scholarship.
Does that mean I have to prove that I need financial support? Obviously a scholarship would help but my family doesn’t need it “genuinely”
Original post by anan0405
My parent kept telling me to try but I know I don’t stand a chance because most universities require a*a*a.
One of the universities I’m applying to requires at least a*aa to apply for scholarship but it says students need to have a genuine need for a scholarship.
Does that mean I have to prove that I need financial support? Obviously a scholarship would help but my family doesn’t need it “genuinely”

Your uni will specify whether the scholarship is based on financial need, academic merit, or both. If the scholarship is based on financial need, there will be a particular threshold the uni considers valid for it. Similarly, with academic merit, they may have a set criteria already. If you're not sure about this, mail or call the uni directly to clarify.

Out of curiosity, where are you applying and for what course? I'm an international applicant too! :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by sleep_supremacy
Your uni will specify whether the scholarship is based on financial need, academic merit, or both. If the scholarship is based on financial need, there will be a particular threshold the uni considers valid for it. Similarly, with academic merit, they may have a set criteria already. If you're not sure about this, mail or call the uni directly to clarify.

Out of curiosity, where are you applying and for what course? I'm an international applicant too! :smile:

Business at Exeter, Bath and Lancaster :smile:
I really like the course at Exeter but I’ve read so many posts about racism there I’m quite concerned…
What about you?
Business at Exeter, Bath and Lancaster :smile:
I really like the course at Exeter but I’ve read so many posts about racism there I’m quite concerned…
What about you?

Biomed at KCL, Birmingham, Bath, Sheffield and Manchester! :smile: (Top is currently Birmingham)

If you're concerned about possible racism, reach out to current students at Exeter and ask them directly. There isn't much point asking the uni directly for this since they will likely deny any allegations. @UniofExeterRep 2 could you help OP out? Thanks!
Reply 4
Biomed at KCL, Birmingham, Bath, Sheffield and Manchester! :smile: (Top is currently Birmingham)

If you're concerned about possible racism, reach out to current students at Exeter and ask them directly. There isn't much point asking the uni directly for this since they will likely deny any allegations. @UniofExeterRep 2 could you help OP out? Thanks!

oh wait aren’t you the person that talked about ielts requirements at ucl? did you change your choice now?
may i ask where are you from? :smile:
oh wait aren’t you the person that talked about ielts requirements at ucl? did you change your choice now?
may i ask where are you from? :smile:

Haha yeah that's me! :laugh: I feel famous lmao

I'm still deciding :s-smilie: My parents want me to apply without English requirements and see if UCL makes me a conditional offer, though they prefer maths, which I don't take, so I don't think they'll give me one. What do you think I should do?

Sorry, I'd rather not share where I'm from online :smile:
Reply 6
Haha yeah that's me! :laugh: I feel famous lmao

I'm still deciding :s-smilie: My parents want me to apply without English requirements and see if UCL makes me a conditional offer, though they prefer maths, which I don't take, so I don't think they'll give me one. What do you think I should do?

Sorry, I'd rather not share where I'm from online :smile:

Definitely try if you like the course, but that depends on you more than your parents :biggrin: It sounds like there are other schools you like and you have little interest in UCL but well, I don’t know what you really think.
My parents wanted me to apply to KCL too but I said no. I have the requirements and I know it’s competitive but the main point is I don’t want to go to London.

I think you’d be fine without math if your predicted grades are high or you have a decent PS though. GL :smile:
Definitely try if you like the course, but that depends on you more than your parents :biggrin: It sounds like there are other schools you like and you have little interest in UCL but well, I don’t know what you really think.
My parents wanted me to apply to KCL too but I said no. I have the requirements and I know it’s competitive but the main point is I don’t want to go to London.

I think you’d be fine without math if your predicted grades are high or you have a decent PS though. GL :smile:

Thanks for your reply! :smile: Parents and I sat down and talked (read: argued) about it, but I got my way in the end :grin:

Hi,

So exciting to hear that you are applying for Business at the University of Bath!

We have lots of different bursaries and scholarships on offer to support a wide variety of students. If you want more information about scholarships, please visit:
https://www.bath.ac.uk/topics/undergraduate-scholarships-bursaries-and-other-funding/

Let us know is you have any more questions, as we'd be happy to help!

Sophia (2nd Year Modern Languages)
Hi I'm in need of a scholarship for my tuition fees

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending