The Student Room Group

Which party would you vote for if there was a general election tomorrow?

Scroll to see replies

12 years in power and what do we have to show for it? Creaking public services, non existent growth, higher taxes and stagnant wages.

Tories deserve a long spell in opposition.
Original post by DSilva
12 years in power and what do we have to show for it? Creaking public services, non existent growth, higher taxes and stagnant wages.

This would be best for everyone including the Tories as a party in my opinion. The ERG need to be utterly routed from the party if the Conservatives and indeed the country are to regain any kind of dynamism.

Brexit, or at least the form of it that the ERG has shoved down our throats, isn't exactly popular and will only become less so. The economic illiteracy of the whole moronic exercise is now having a real and grievous impact on peoples' lives and in the cold light of day the 'sOvErIgNtY' talk looks completely preposterous. This situation where some loony fringe is effectively hamstringing either party's ability to enter into reasonable negotiations with the largest trading block in the world, who we happen to have on our doorsteps, is untenable.
(edited 1 year ago)
When I read the above I feared that there had been a sudden surge, a quick look at the wiki though suggests that Remain polled in the 47-52% range in October and all that's happened is movement from Leave to DK (not a massive worry), we also saw Sunak put down a Swiss style mission creep.
Monster Raving Loony.

Voting is a mug's game these days, so I might as well vote for someone who pokes fun at it.
Original post by Rakas21
When I read the above I feared that there had been a sudden surge, a quick look at the wiki though suggests that Remain polled in the 47-52% range in October and all that's happened is movement from Leave to DK (not a massive worry), we also saw Sunak put down a Swiss style mission creep.

It just continues to show how thick the voting populace is. 15% drop in trade and the U.K. economy to be the second worst performing next year, only behind similarly trade sanctioned Russia. Speaks absolute volumes.
Original post by Rakas21

At this point only 32% are willing to commit to saying Brexit was the right decision. 19% of Brexit voters now say it was the wrong decision.
Original post by Captain Haddock
At this point only 32% are willing to commit to saying Brexit was the right decision. 19% of Brexit voters now say it was the wrong decision.

PRSOM.
Original post by tryhardgigs
Yes I think not having to pay for life-saving surgery is a great thing??????
The waiting lists can easily be remedied by appropriate funding and restructuring instead of limiting access to those who need it and sending poor families in debt like they do in America. Would you really rather that happens so you can get an appointment with your GP sooner?

You could throw a blank chequebook at the NHS and it would still not have enough money. By it’s free nature, it leads to a lack of personal responsibility and overuse. By the way, I should add, I’m not on about people paying a fortune here for services or insurance, but the idea that people pay something is the norm in most developed countries around the world, and their services are much much better.
Original post by Rakas21

Still, a big shift is going on over a multi-year period. Just look at the graph.
https://www.statista.com/statistics/987347/brexit-opinion-poll/

Right to Leave-vs-Wrong to Leave was 46:43 on April 1 2021. A few days ago those figures were 32:56.

There's no longer any basis for assuming the Rejoin is unpopular, quite the contrary.
Original post by Rakas21

I wonder how long Brexit's backers will continue to deny reality. All the promises that were made, all the waffling about how the NHS would get an extra £350 million a week, about how our immigration system would be fixed, about how we'd have these incredible trade deals have all turned to dust as expected.

The truth is that six years on from the referendum there hasn't been a single tangible benefit of Brexit. Can you name just one way in which we are tangibly better off as a result?
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Still, a big shift is going on over a multi-year period. Just look at the graph.
https://www.statista.com/statistics/987347/brexit-opinion-poll/

Right to Leave-vs-Wrong to Leave was 46:43 on April 1 2021. A few days ago those figures were 32:56.

There's no longer any basis for assuming the Rejoin is unpopular, quite the contrary.

It's a trend that can't be ignored, but Starmer is too weak to recognise it, despite being Mr second referendum himself.
Original post by DSilva
I wonder how long Brexit's backers will continue to deny reality. All the promises that were made, all the waffling about how the NHS would get an extra £350 million a week, about how our immigration system would be fixed, about how we'd have these incredible trade deals have all turned to dust as expected.

The truth is that six years on from the referendum there hasn't been a single tangible benefit of Brexit. Can you name just one way in which we are tangibly better off as a result?

Woah. Are you completely overlooking the fact that we can now change the emergency exit signs in the Dartford tunnel!? Gosh. You’re such a daisy downer.
Original post by imlikeahermit
Woah. Are you completely overlooking the fact that we can now change the emergency exit signs in the Dartford tunnel!? Gosh. You’re such a daisy downer.

:rofl:
Original post by imlikeahermit

How silly of me!

I'd really like someone to actually set out the real, tangible benefits of Brexit, as opposed to just general notions of 'we are free to set our own path'.

At some point the question will need to be revisited.
110% Labour Party.
Agree to disagree.
Original post by DSilva

This can not be said loud enough. It is not just that they’ve spent all our money, but they have run public services into the ground while doing it and trashed the economy.

We can only assume that those still willing to back the Conservative Party do so out of ignorance of economic reality.
Labour - If you can’t see that Tory rule wrecks your country ... I don't think you ever will
Original post by Burton Bridge
Mmm because most white people are obsessed with race and hatred

They are a race-baiting troll, just report and ignore
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Talkative Toad
They are a race-baiting troll, just report and ignore

Fair enough

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending